Any Bilinguals Out There ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2017, 03:46 PM
RE: Any Bilinguals Out There ?
(16-04-2017 03:05 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Focus on "street German", learn the most used and useful parts first. Try out speak to native German speakers as mch as possible. Like anything else, language needs application and practice.

Whatever street German is supposed to be. I mean, given the countless dialects. If someone doesn't want me to understand what they say, they only have to switch to their native dialect to give me a hard time, even if they're only 600 kilometers removed.

It's bordering on a science, since entire words are different between regions.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2017, 03:48 PM
(16-04-2017 03:26 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 03:17 PM)Sturm Wrote:  Yes, it's cultural and it's sometimes confusing. In dutch, there's also the distinction between the formal and informal (like the french vous/tu), but they mostly use the informal, and it's not very surprising to have people using the informal form in shops, or in the street while in France we would definitely use the formal form in the same situation. There is even a difference between culture inside the same language, for instance, in southern Belgium they also speak french, but the informal form was a lot more used than the formal form.

From what I remember in german, the use of the formal/informal is rather similar to its use in french, if you don't know someone, you use the formal form. And even if you make some mistakes, I don't think they would take it badly as they will obviously notice it's not your language, they will already be happy that you make an effort to speak their language (at least, they never looked angry against me, and I'm sure I made a lot of mistakes Smile)

It depends on what you are looking for, more big cities or some beautiful quiet countryside ? Personally, I'm a big fan of the south (the Black Forest and the Bavaria), even though I met the nicest people in the north (in the south some people were a bit distant, especially is very small villages where they are not very used to tourists). Hamburg is a nice city to visit, and even the countryside in this area is beautiful. The Bavaria is very busy in summer (a lot of tourists), but it is really beautiful.

I made my husband promise me that we would go to Germany one year for Christmas.

I love the Weihnachtsmarkt and have wanted to see them in person for years! Also, wouldn't mind having the spiced wine...

Weihnachtsmarkt is the fucking best thing we invented....ever (and i am including the car, bicycle and rockets). Drinking Beverage

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
16-04-2017, 03:54 PM
(16-04-2017 03:35 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 03:22 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  What made you decide to learn Portuguese?

You just walked right into that, my friend Tongue

Here's the shortish version: when I was a teen I heard a song (in a movie by a Balkan director, actually) and fell in love with the sound of the language. I didn't have internet back then (did I mention I'm old? And from an Eastern European country Rolleyes ) so me and my dad decided it was Portuguese (it's actually creole, from Cabo Verde, so - close enough) and I thought that I'd love to learn Portuguese one day. Years later, when I was doing my master's degree in Sweden, I didn't want to go home just for two months in the summer and decided to do a Port. course in Porto. Fell in love with the language and later on did a couple more. And here I am today, in Brazil outra vez, so to speak. And I still love it Yes

(This is the song, with spanish subtitles and cute little love story that even a hardened cynic such as myself found rather endearing Blush )

Quote:Also I think it'd be cool to write fairy tales in German. I think the Grimm Brothers would be pleased.

Thumbsup Just don't include nearly as much rape and mayhem, okay? Rolleyes

Wow, that song was beautiful! Like, genuinely so. I've never heard a song that sounded that romantic that wasn't in French. XD

No promises. Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
16-04-2017, 04:04 PM
It really is beautiful. I find it rather charming that it's a tango (Argentinian/Uruguayan music), written by a Bosnian composer and sung in Caboverdean creole. Who says globalisation is a bad thing? Rolleyes

Cesaria Evora (and caboverdean music in general) is lovely. Check this out, rather romantic, too (if one likes this kind of thing, at least Wink)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2017, 04:07 PM
(16-04-2017 03:40 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 03:01 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  My husband also wants to get drunk at Oktoberfest... XD

Good place to go if you love to be ripped off.

Expensive?
16-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Australian is my native tongue, but I also speak English fluently. Cool

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
16-04-2017, 04:10 PM
(16-04-2017 03:48 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 03:26 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I made my husband promise me that we would go to Germany one year for Christmas.

I love the Weihnachtsmarkt and have wanted to see them in person for years! Also, wouldn't mind having the spiced wine...

Weihnachtsmarkt is the fucking best thing we invented....ever (and i am including the car, bicycle and rockets). Drinking Beverage

They're so gorgeous!

Chocolate hearts, gluwein, cold air, music... I can only imagine... Big Grin
16-04-2017, 04:30 PM
(16-04-2017 04:04 PM)Vera Wrote:  It really is beautiful. I find it rather charming that it's a tango (Argentinian/Uruguayan music), written by a Bosnian composer and sung in Caboverdean creole. Who says globalisation is a bad thing? Rolleyes

Cesaria Evora (and caboverdean music in general) is lovely. Check this out, rather romantic, too (if one likes this kind of thing, at least Wink)

Ooo! It's gorgeous!
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
16-04-2017, 04:36 PM
I speak Dutch. I lived in the Netherlands from the late 80's till 98. It was a difficult language to learn, especially, as pointed out by Sturm, the Dutch love to speak English. It was in the days before everyone had internet, so I bought a good English / Dutch dictionary and "read" the local newspapers each day. My motivation was college. To attend art college I needed Dutch. It took a while but I got there in the end.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
16-04-2017, 04:39 PM
(16-04-2017 04:07 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Expensive?

Classical case of tourist trap.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]