Any Bilinguals Out There ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2017, 04:39 PM
RE: Any Bilinguals Out There ?
(16-04-2017 04:36 PM)Marozz Wrote:  I speak Dutch. I lived in the Netherlands from the late 80's till 98. It was a difficult language to learn, especially, as pointed out by Sturm, the Dutch love to speak English. It was in the days before everyone had internet, so I bought a good English / Dutch dictionary and "read" the local newspapers each day. My motivation was college. To attend art college I needed Dutch. It took a while but I got there in the end.

That's really cool!
Are you a freelance artist or do you work for an organization?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2017, 05:04 PM
(16-04-2017 04:39 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 04:36 PM)Marozz Wrote:  I speak Dutch. I lived in the Netherlands from the late 80's till 98. It was a difficult language to learn, especially, as pointed out by Sturm, the Dutch love to speak English. It was in the days before everyone had internet, so I bought a good English / Dutch dictionary and "read" the local newspapers each day. My motivation was college. To attend art college I needed Dutch. It took a while but I got there in the end.

That's really cool!

I studied fine arts, so freelance. It also meant lot's of "partying" - which didn't help with the language but was great fun Tongue

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
16-04-2017, 05:10 PM
(16-04-2017 05:04 PM)Marozz Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 04:39 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  That's really cool!

I studied fine arts, so freelance. It also meant lot's of "partying" - which didn't help with the language but was great fun Tongue

I've been back and forth on whether or not I want to try doing freelance. I went into a few different art courses and am planning to enroll with Watts Atelier.

Are you a portrait, landscape, or still life painter? Or all of the above... XD
16-04-2017, 05:31 PM
(16-04-2017 05:10 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 05:04 PM)Marozz Wrote:  I studied fine arts, so freelance. It also meant lot's of "partying" - which didn't help with the language but was great fun Tongue

I've been back and forth on whether or not I want to try doing freelance. I went into a few different art courses and am planning to enroll with Watts Atelier.

Go for what you "really" want. I do landscape / still life influenced by media, what's happening in the world (the bad things). I use lots of black so, drawing using charcoal, pastels, ink and graphite would be my main thing. In college I really enjoyed etching. Painting, I like oils.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
16-04-2017, 05:35 PM
(16-04-2017 05:31 PM)Marozz Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 05:10 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I've been back and forth on whether or not I want to try doing freelance. I went into a few different art courses and am planning to enroll with Watts Atelier.

Go for what you "really" want. I do landscape / still life influenced by media, what's happening in the world (the bad things). I use lots of black so, drawing using charcoal, pastels, ink and graphite would be my main thing. In college I really enjoyed etching. Painting, I like oils.

I'm a portrait artist myself. I never really deal with landscape unless it's a background... I'm not very good as it stands. I lack a lot of discipline that an artist needs so I do it casually.
My favorite mediums are oils and charcoal, I'm too nervous to work with ink. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
16-04-2017, 06:02 PM
Watch German TV. YouTube has bunches. You will understand a lot from context and learn the way kids learn.

I used to teach German without ever using translations. I used pictures instead. But you need a teacher or an internet or dvd course for that. It encourages faster fluency by eliminating all kinds of thought processes.

There are a lot of decent programs out there...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-04-2017, 06:15 PM
Having traveled extensively and lived in non-English speaking countries for a quarter of my life (including Oz, to steal SYZ's joke), I've found that you can get by by learning just two things for any language:
1) Hello
2)
[Image: i-love-you.jpg]

Everything else is body language. Copy the locals. Monkey Sie, monkey Du.

I learned English from Charlie Chaplin and French from Monsieur Hulot

I was born in a place called Gibber. So that's my first language.

Enjoy your trip and don't forget that as an English speaker when visiting Johnny Foreigner, you only need to talk loudly and point assertively.

Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
16-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Reminds me of a favourite Drop the Dead Donkey moment, where George is late for work and catches a taxi and the drivers turns around and shows him a handwritten sign which says "I'm from Bulgaria". When George duly proceeds to talk loudly and slowly, the guy shows him another handwritten sign, which says "And I'm deaf". When he later crashes the car (natch!) the paramedics do the exact same thing Big Grin

(Even funnier, well to me at least, is that before starting the car, the supposedly Bulgarian driver makes the sign of the cross. Only, in the Orthodox churches we touch our right shoulder before the left one. How's that for nitpicking Rolleyes )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
16-04-2017, 06:40 PM
(16-04-2017 06:15 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Having traveled extensively and lived in non-English speaking countries for a quarter of my life (including Oz, to steal SYZ's joke), I've found that you can get by by learning just two things for any language:
1) Hello
2)
[Image: i-love-you.jpg]

Everything else is body language. Copy the locals. Monkey Sie, monkey Du.

I learned English from Charlie Chaplin and French from Monsieur Hulot

I was born in a place called Gibber. So that's my first language.

Enjoy your trip and don't forget that as an English speaker when visiting Johnny Foreigner, you only need to talk loudly and point assertively.

Big Grin

.... Spanish
Cuanto?
que es eso!!!!!!
Donde estan mis pantalones?

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
17-04-2017, 10:41 AM
(16-04-2017 04:07 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 03:40 PM)abaris Wrote:  Good place to go if you love to be ripped off.

Expensive?

10€/liter beer or water.
In the supermarket its ca. 1.50€-2€

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse