Any Bilinguals Out There ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2017, 12:46 PM
RE: Any Bilinguals Out There ?
(17-04-2017 10:41 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 04:07 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Expensive?

10€/liter beer or water.
In the supermarket its ca. 1.50€-2€

So about the same as going to a bar/tavern here in the US. One glass of beer in the bar costs only slightly less than a 6-pack of the same beer at the grocery store. This is one reason I don't go to bars.

Obligatory second-language content: I took two years of German in high school, and also studied it a bit on my own years later, but it didn't do me much good when I actually went to Germany. I could buy a train ticket or order in a restaurant, but reading the newspaper or conversing with someone was way beyond me. So for all practical purposes, I know only English.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2017, 12:50 PM
(17-04-2017 12:46 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Obligatory second-language content: I took two years of German in high school, and also studied it a bit on my own years later, but it didn't do me much good when I actually went to Germany. I could buy a train ticket or order in a restaurant, but reading the newspaper or conversing with someone was way beyond me. So for all practical purposes, I know only English.

Most people know english in Germany. It's a mandatory course in their equivalent of high school. Other than that, just try to speak with them, even if it's using hands and feet. You only learn it the hard way and by actually talking, listening and reading.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
17-04-2017, 12:54 PM
(17-04-2017 12:46 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(17-04-2017 10:41 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  10€/liter beer or water.
In the supermarket its ca. 1.50€-2€

So about the same as going to a bar/tavern here in the US. One glass of beer in the bar costs only slightly less than a 6-pack of the same beer at the grocery store. This is one reason I don't go to bars.

Obligatory second-language content: I took two years of German in high school, and also studied it a bit on my own years later, but it didn't do me much good when I actually went to Germany. I could buy a train ticket or order in a restaurant, but reading the newspaper or conversing with someone was way beyond me. So for all practical purposes, I know only English.

The problem being: When they pour the beer into your keg, the beer will foam like mad. More often than not, you are additionally being ripped off by actually having only as much as 0.9l in you rkeg. Tests and statistics have shown that up to 90% of all kegs are actually only 0.9l full. This is being done on purpose and with cold hard cash in mind. You make an additional 1€/liter, as if 10 wasnt already not expensive enough.

Oktoberfest = one huge ugly (drunks peeing and puking and passing out everywhere) , expensive tourist trap ripoff.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
17-04-2017, 12:59 PM
(17-04-2017 12:54 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Oktoberfest = one huge ugly (drunks peeing and puking and passing out everywhere) , expensive tourist trap ripoff.

Which is something to behold in itself. There's a regular contest going on over when the first passed out drunk has to be collected by an ambulance. If I remember correctly, last year was an all time record, only minutes after opening.

17-04-2017, 01:16 PM
(16-04-2017 04:07 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Australian is my native tongue, but I also speak English fluently. Cool

It has been observed, but by unreliable witnesses, that you can find the occasional party that speaks English in these United States.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
17-04-2017, 01:16 PM
(17-04-2017 12:54 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(17-04-2017 12:46 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  So about the same as going to a bar/tavern here in the US. One glass of beer in the bar costs only slightly less than a 6-pack of the same beer at the grocery store. This is one reason I don't go to bars.

The problem being: When they pour the beer into your keg, the beer will foam like mad. More often than not, you are additionally being ripped off by actually having only as much as 0.9l in you rkeg. Tests and statistics have shown that up to 90% of all kegs are actually only 0.9l full. This is being done on purpose and with cold hard cash in mind. You make an additional 1€/liter, as if 10 wasnt already not expensive enough.

Oktoberfest = one huge ugly (drunks peeing and puking and passing out everywhere) , expensive tourist trap ripoff.

I went to the Munich area (on business) 3 different times, and was never really tempted to go to Oktoberfest (of course, it helped that I was never there at the right time of year). It doesn't sound like something I would enjoy. I loved the variety and the taste of German beer (as opposed to the generic beers that were all you could get in America at the time -- this was the 1980s), but I don't drink to get drunk, and generally don't like being around drunks (another reason I avoid bars). I vividly remember the first Weissbier I had -- "Wow! Who knew beer could taste like this?"

Our bars have their own kind of surcharge -- you're generally expected to tip the bartender, so a $4 or $5 beer ends up being $5 or $6. Our beers are much better now, though. There are small craft breweries everywhere, with a huge variety of different beers -- much like Germany in the 1980s.

Obligatory bilingual content (responding to Abaris): I did indeed find that most people in Germany spoke English, but I did have a few "lost at sea" experiences with people who either didn't speak English, or pretended that they didn't (like the woman in the U-bahn kiosk who severely overcharged me for a can of Coca Cola). I think that you're right -- the best (and maybe the only) way to learn a foreign language is immersion. At some point, you have to jump in the water and either sink or swim. If I had stayed over there for a long time, rather than just a week or two, I think I would have eventually gotten it.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
17-04-2017, 02:43 PM
(17-04-2017 01:16 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Obligatory bilingual content (responding to Abaris): I did indeed find that most people in Germany spoke English, but I did have a few "lost at sea" experiences with people who either didn't speak English, or pretended that they didn't (like the woman in the U-bahn kiosk who severely overcharged me for a can of Coca Cola). I think that you're right -- the best (and maybe the only) way to learn a foreign language is immersion. At some point, you have to jump in the water and either sink or swim. If I had stayed over there for a long time, rather than just a week or two, I think I would have eventually gotten it.

Yes, german are quite good in english, usually you can always communicate in english if you need (which is of course not the best way to improve your german), especially in cities. I also had a few experiences with people who didn't speak english, a couple of time in the Hartz, but actually more than once in small villages in the Black Forest. It was not rare that I had no choice but to speak german in the Black Forest, especially with elderly persons (once I had to call a taxi driver who didn't speak english and I had to explain my position (which was more or less the middle of nowhere) in an quite approximate german : so basis in german are still very useful ! When I hung-up the phone, I wasn't even sure she had understood what I said, so when I finally saw the taxi arriving, I was really glad that I hadn't forgotten everything from high school !
[+] 1 user Likes Sturm's post
17-04-2017, 04:17 PM
(17-04-2017 01:16 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Obligatory bilingual content (responding to Abaris): I did indeed find that most people in Germany spoke English, but I did have a few "lost at sea" experiences with people who either didn't speak English, or pretended that they didn't (like the woman in the U-bahn kiosk who severely overcharged me for a can of Coca Cola). I think that you're right -- the best (and maybe the only) way to learn a foreign language is immersion. At some point, you have to jump in the water and either sink or swim. If I had stayed over there for a long time, rather than just a week or two, I think I would have eventually gotten it.

More than 30 years ago I was invited to visit a small Italian village at the Po. Noone spoke a word of german or english and I didn't speak a word of italian, other than a few expletives. I stayed for a week and although I didn't get fluent in Italian, the latin and french I had at school helped to get me through and to even have some kind of conversations during the long evenings at the local bar.

17-04-2017, 06:34 PM
(16-04-2017 01:30 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Hi!

I've recently decided that I want to get serious about learning another language.
I took a year of German in high school and I have intentions of visiting Germany someday. It also helps that I'm utterly in love with the language as well...

Do you have any tips or stories about learning your second language as an adult?

Also...
Is there anyone on here that speaks German that would like to converse with me? XD
I am multilingual. I speak American, English, Canadian, Australian, and FORTRAN.

Unfortunately, I am only fluent in FORTRAN. Tongue

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
18-04-2017, 03:15 AM
(17-04-2017 06:34 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I am multilingual. I speak American, English, Canadian Canadish, Australian, and FORTRAN.

Unfortunately, I am only fluent in FORTRAN. Tongue

Fixed that for you Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post