Any Bilinguals Out There ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2017, 03:23 AM
RE: Any Bilinguals Out There ?
(17-04-2017 12:46 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Obligatory second-language content: I took two years of German in high school, and also studied it a bit on my own years later, but it didn't do me much good when I actually went to Germany. I could buy a train ticket or order in a restaurant, but reading the newspaper or conversing with someone was way beyond me. So for all practical purposes, I know only English.

I took German in high school also, and know very basic stuff [Numbers, Alphabet, basic greetings etc]. I probably should finish my studies on that one.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2017, 05:53 AM
(16-04-2017 02:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Si.

También Smile

I learned in high school, and loved it.
Working at a gasolinerá through high school, I had a consistent exposure to the mexicanós that worked the farms in our area.
Once the word went around, I had a big following. If they did not see my mustang parked there they did not stop.
I was my friendly self and we sold batteries, hoses, belts. tire services. It was an old school gas station/tire store/mechanic's shop.
The mexicaños were used to being exploited and taken advantage of, and they knew that I would not do that.
When I quit working there, they would see me in the grocery store and give me hell about it Big Grin
I went to Mexico the year after graduation as a "chaperone", because the year prior our trip was cancelled due to an airline strike.
Chaperone, heh Wink
My sister was married to a second generation mexican american, and I had family in Mexico City. I'd travel the city by day with the students, and every night one of my cousins-by-marriage would pick me up at about 7 every night in their pristine 1967 Ford Galaxie 500.
Off we'd go, dancing, drinking and having a general good time.
Then it was back to the house for a late dinner at 11 or so, more fun, and drop me off about 2.
The next morning I was up at 7 with the students. By the end of the week I got so sick, I missed the first week of college when we got home Tongue
Since then I have done what I can to practice, and we have vacationed in Mexico a half dozen times.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
18-04-2017, 01:36 PM
(18-04-2017 03:15 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(17-04-2017 06:34 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I am multilingual. I speak American, English, Canadian Canadish, Australian, and FORTRAN.

Unfortunately, I am only fluent in FORTRAN. Tongue

Fixed that for you Tongue

CHARACTER (len=8):: language
10 READ language
IF language /='Canadian' THEN GOTO 20
PRINT language
GOTO 10
20 PRINT 'EH?'
END

Wink

--
Dr H