Any Bilinguals Out There ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2017, 03:23 AM
RE: Any Bilinguals Out There ?
(17-04-2017 12:46 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Obligatory second-language content: I took two years of German in high school, and also studied it a bit on my own years later, but it didn't do me much good when I actually went to Germany. I could buy a train ticket or order in a restaurant, but reading the newspaper or conversing with someone was way beyond me. So for all practical purposes, I know only English.

I took German in high school also, and know very basic stuff [Numbers, Alphabet, basic greetings etc]. I probably should finish my studies on that one.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2017, 05:53 AM
(16-04-2017 02:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Si.

También Smile

I learned in high school, and loved it.
Working at a gasolinerá through high school, I had a consistent exposure to the mexicanós that worked the farms in our area.
Once the word went around, I had a big following. If they did not see my mustang parked there they did not stop.
I was my friendly self and we sold batteries, hoses, belts. tire services. It was an old school gas station/tire store/mechanic's shop.
The mexicaños were used to being exploited and taken advantage of, and they knew that I would not do that.
When I quit working there, they would see me in the grocery store and give me hell about it Big Grin
I went to Mexico the year after graduation as a "chaperone", because the year prior our trip was cancelled due to an airline strike.
Chaperone, heh Wink
My sister was married to a second generation mexican american, and I had family in Mexico City. I'd travel the city by day with the students, and every night one of my cousins-by-marriage would pick me up at about 7 every night in their pristine 1967 Ford Galaxie 500.
Off we'd go, dancing, drinking and having a general good time.
Then it was back to the house for a late dinner at 11 or so, more fun, and drop me off about 2.
The next morning I was up at 7 with the students. By the end of the week I got so sick, I missed the first week of college when we got home Tongue
Since then I have done what I can to practice, and we have vacationed in Mexico a half dozen times.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
18-04-2017, 01:36 PM
(18-04-2017 03:15 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(17-04-2017 06:34 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I am multilingual. I speak American, English, Canadian Canadish, Australian, and FORTRAN.

Unfortunately, I am only fluent in FORTRAN. Tongue

Fixed that for you Tongue

CHARACTER (len=8):: language
10 READ language
IF language /='Canadian' THEN GOTO 20
PRINT language
GOTO 10
20 PRINT 'EH?'
END

Wink

--
Dr H