Any Hi-Fi geeks out there?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2017, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2017 01:27 PM by Filox.)
RE: Any Hi-Fi geeks out there?
(17-05-2017 04:13 PM)Harvey Wrote:  I'm moving into my newly bought apartment in a months time. There will be no TV on the premises, but there will be music.

I have bought a pair of B&W CM7 speakers (secondhand), a Quad Vena integrated amplifier (new), an Audiolab 8200 CDQ cd-player (secondhand), a Pro-Ject Phono Box S preamplifier (new) to use between my old Rega Planar 2 turntable and the Quad Vena. Pluss a number of bits and pieces.

This, I believe, is a descent setup, but within reasonalble limits, and within my budget.

For the first time for more than twentyfive years, I will be able to sit down an listen to my old records, all stacked up in the basement. I'm so happy that i didn't sell off my LP collection, which I actually thought about doing years ago.

No to my question: What cables do I need to connect my cd-player to the amp, and my turntable/phono box to my amp? I have bought budget QED XTC speaker cables, and have figured out that two pairs of RCA cables (most likely QED Performance Audio 40 interconnects) shoud do the job (i.e. connecting the turntable and the cd-player to the amp).

Have I missed or misunderstood something vital?

After reviewing your system quickly, I am to assume that you spend biggest amount of money on speakers. Good speakers. But too good for this turntable, this preamp and this amplifier. Much too good. Either upgrade everything else, or you will never hear full sound from your speakers. My suggestion is always vintage Japan, late 70's, early 80's for power amps and preamps. Very cheap and nothing today can compete with that, unleas you want to buy something worth 10k $ or more. Vintage Japan (Sony, Hitachi, Onkyo, Sansui...) made better things in the late 70's than most of the high-end manufacturers make today and they are cheaper on ebay that your gear. But much, much better. I paid my Hitachi only 500$ and it's like brand new. After I refresh it, it will serve me for the next 30 years, without problem.

Sansui made absolutely amazing things back then. The best preamp ever made is Sansui CA-3000. Nothing today look or sound like this.
[Image: CA3000-1a.jpg]

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2017, 05:27 PM
(23-05-2017 11:14 AM)Filox Wrote:  It always makes me laugh when I see an article that says that a coat hanger can sound the same as some good high quality cable.
As well it should.

What it means is that in a blind test, "Audiophiles" can't tell the difference between a piece of mild steel and a magic cable that costs more than their car. Big Grin

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
24-05-2017, 07:07 AM
If you pick up some people from the street, of course that every cable is going to sound the same. Hell, to most people every amplifier will sound the same. Every CD player will sound the same. Why would you buy an expensive CD player when it's all just 1 and 0, digital and all the same...

Also, who made the blind test? What other components were used? What was the source? How good was the production? What kind of music? What was the room like? Where were the speakers in the room?

If you set up the room and the whole system properly and if you are used to a good, precise and high quality sound, then you will notice the difference. Hell, I had 3 top class preamps (2 active and one passive), all 3 were high-end, extremely similar in sound, but there were slight differences. If you know how and what to listen, you will hear every cable change. It won't be a drastic change, but subtle. Also, the closer you get to high-end components, the more you can hear the difference in cable sound.

Since the OP has some Quad D class amplifier, there is no need to spend a lot of money on cables, entry level is more than enough. If he was to change the amp for something normal, something that does not have DAC, bluetooth, wifi and all that shit, something that is A or AB class, not D class, then better cables have more sense.

-Hunter S. Thompson
25-05-2017, 06:03 PM
Thank you all for chiming in. I have bought british cables (QED Performance Audio 40 0.6m interconnects and QED Performance XTC 2m speaker cables). Well made and reasonably priced. They will do the job.

See the QED homepage for details :http://www.qed.co.uk/analogue/phono-to-p...dio-40.htm.

And to Filox. Quite the contrary. I paid more for both my CD-player and my amp than I did for my speakers.

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
26-05-2017, 12:36 AM
(25-05-2017 06:03 PM)Harvey Wrote:  Thank you all for chiming in. I have bought british cables (QED Performance Audio 40 0.6m interconnects and QED Performance XTC 2m speaker cables). Well made and reasonably priced. They will do the job.

See the QED homepage for details :http://www.qed.co.uk/analogue/phono-to-p...dio-40.htm.

And to Filox. Quite the contrary. I paid more for both my CD-player and my amp than I did for my speakers.

These cables look nice. Thumbsup

I was checking the prices of your components on ebay, so as far as I saw it, the speakers are the most expensive, then the CD player, then the amp... You see, these speakers and this cd player are much, much better than the rest of your system. Your turntable and preamp are ok, but the amp is all-in-one kind of device. It is not bad, but if you ask me, it does not belong in your system. I would suggest getting AB class amplifier, integrated is OK, but no bluetooth, DAC or similar unnecessary accessories. If you need a DAC, get yourself a stand alone component. Bluetooth is not the way to transport sound, so you don't need that at all.

Everything considered, you have a nice little setup there. I hope you are happy with the sound, in the end, it is all that matters.

-Hunter S. Thompson