Any Jehovah's Witnesses at your door lately?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Any Jehovah's Witnesses at your door lately?
My brother, sister and I got together for lunch at our mom's house yesterday. After the meal we were sitting down in the game room for our weekly Mahjong session when the doorbell rang. I went to the front door and there stood a young woman handing out pamphlets on how Easter is supposed to be celebrated. She also had a copy of the New World Translation of the Bible. I politely told her that my mom is a Catholic and wouldn't be interested in JW literature.

There is a JW Kingdom hall in each of the towns to the east and west of my home. I get visited by proselytizers twice each year, first in May, then again in July. So regular are their visits that I can almost mark the dates on the calendar. They used to want to come in and discuss religion, but over the past few years they leave as soon as I tell them I'm an atheist. On the whole, they lack the education and thinking skills to carry on an intelligent conversation.

Have any of you had any run-ins with these people lately? If so, what did you discuss? Do they visit you regularly? Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
04-04-2017, 08:06 PM
RE: Any Jehovah's Witnesses at your door lately?
I accidentally left our gate open after receiving some guests, and snared some mormon boys just the other day. i gently but firmly sent them on their way, and promptly closed the gate Smile
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
04-04-2017, 08:09 PM
(04-04-2017 08:06 PM)skyking Wrote:  I accidentally left our gate open after receiving some guests, and snared some mormon boys just the other day. i gently but firmly sent them on their way, and promptly closed the gate Smile

> I've never been visited by Mormons, but W. Massachusetts isn't exactly Mormon territory.
04-04-2017, 08:10 PM
Out in the western states they are thick on the ground. It seems to be a popular form of woo.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
04-04-2017, 08:13 PM
I get JWs now and then and dismiss them pretty quickly.

There's a fairly new LDS temple (or whatever) just a couple blocks away. I see the boys on bikes now and then but haven't had any stop by.

In SC it was Baptist teenagers at least once a month...about quarterly the Baptist adults were out and about...at least they brought cookies.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
04-04-2017, 08:17 PM
The first time our gate successfully repelled proselytizers, my wife and I were gardening. These ladies from a particulary abhorrent sect of southern Baptists pulled up, got out of their car and waved. I knew who they were. I waved back, and continued gardening. They were crestfallen, and I was not at all disturbed by this. I had a run in with them a few years earlier, a whole story unto itself.
They placed their little pamphlet under a rock on the top of the gate and departed. I put my arm around my wife's shoulder and said with tongue in cheek, " god bless our gate" Tongue
04-04-2017, 08:17 PM
I have a question about JW buildings.

Is there a reason they have small windows? I have looked it up before and read a couple theories. One was to save $...

Since these are religious people, I instantly assume there is some connection/rationality relating to gawd...

Anyone know?

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
04-04-2017, 08:22 PM
I think it has to do with distractions.
04-04-2017, 08:25 PM
(04-04-2017 08:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I get JWs now and then and dismiss them pretty quickly.

There's a fairly new LDS temple (or whatever) just a couple blocks away. I see the boys on bikes now and then but haven't had any stop by.

In SC it was Baptist teenagers at least once a month...about quarterly the Baptist adults were out and about...at least they brought cookies.

> Baptists never come to my door, but a guy at work told me this anecdote back in the 1980's: He and his new wife had purchased a home in an old suburb of Springfield. On the second or third day, when they were still moving in, a grey-bearded, late middle-age man showed up at their front door with a Bible tucked under his arm. When my friend came to the door, the man said, with a big grin, "I'd like to talk to you for a few minutes about JEE-zuz." Needless to say, my friend, who is a Lutheran, was not amused, and told the guy to, "Take a hike, creep!" Smile
04-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Some jovies showed up on my doorstep about 6 weeks ago. I told them that I wasn't the least bit interested, and closed the door. One of them had the nerve to give me a dirty look. Laugh out load Last weekend, we had a visit from some different jovies. I could tell by their dress that they were pushing jeebus, and told my youngest son this. We didn't answer the door. We took my MIL to lunch, and on the way out, I spotted a little flyer from them telling us where we could get a Watchtower magazine if we wanted. Dodgy The first set left an "X" on the curb by the numbers painted on the curb. Can't they read their own hobo sign? Hobo

So, I'm going to make a sign for the gate that leads to the portico. I'm thinking that this could be the words, but I'm thinking that some more input from the worthies here would make it more direct. I like direct, in my communications. Yes

"Whatever it is you are selling, we either already have it, or don't want it"

Now, my wife is a True Believer™, so I can't say "This includes YOUR brand of Jesus", or something, but I'd like to get that across, somehow. My wife is pretty (well, really smart), so maybe being subtle at that point is useless.

Recommendations?
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post