Any Jehovah's Witnesses at your door lately?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2018, 01:58 PM
RE: Any Jehovah's Witnesses at your door lately?
(08-02-2018 08:51 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  I don't expect to see any JW's at my door until May. I went to the doctor's office for my semi-annual checkup last week and discovered JW pamphlets and THE WATCHTOWER in the waiting room. I gathered them up on the way out. They contain the usual doom-and-gloom prophecies and hints on "living well" following biblical rules and advice. They all ended up in the paper recycling bin.

I still recall how the JW's predicted the end of the world twice in my lifetime. Laughat

Just twice? Isn't it a yearly thing, like every time there's inclimate weather? Maybe I'm thinking of some other evangelical denomination. I get them all mixed up because they're all nut jobs.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
08-02-2018, 11:39 PM
(08-02-2018 12:00 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 07:58 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  My brother, sister and I got together for lunch at our mom's house yesterday. After the meal we were sitting down in the game room for our weekly Mahjong session when the doorbell rang. I went to the front door and there stood a young woman handing out pamphlets on how Easter is supposed to be celebrated. She also had a copy of the New World Translation of the Bible. I politely told her that my mom is a Catholic and wouldn't be interested in JW literature.

There is a JW Kingdom hall in each of the towns to the east and west of my home. I get visited by proselytizers twice each year, first in May, then again in July. So regular are their visits that I can almost mark the dates on the calendar. They used to want to come in and discuss religion, but over the past few years they leave as soon as I tell them I'm an atheist. On the whole, they lack the education and thinking skills to carry on an intelligent conversation.

Have any of you had any run-ins with these people lately? If so, what did you discuss? Do they visit you regularly? Consider

They came by the other day but I missed them because I was working with ear protection on and didn't here them come down the driveway or leave. I was actually looking forward to their next visit. I told them last time they came to send their best debater along because they weren't up to the task. I wanted to see what they had to say.
I can imagine that an encounter with you, or a few other folks here I can think of, would be akin to putting your brain in a blender. I simply don't have the inclination to deconstruct the house of cards in front of them, but I would like to be the fly on the wall Smile
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
09-02-2018, 06:43 AM
(08-02-2018 01:58 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(08-02-2018 08:51 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  I don't expect to see any JW's at my door until May. I went to the doctor's office for my semi-annual checkup last week and discovered JW pamphlets and THE WATCHTOWER in the waiting room. I gathered them up on the way out. They contain the usual doom-and-gloom prophecies and hints on "living well" following biblical rules and advice. They all ended up in the paper recycling bin.

I still recall how the JW's predicted the end of the world twice in my lifetime. Laughat

Just twice? Isn't it a yearly thing, like every time there's inclimate weather? Maybe I'm thinking of some other evangelical denomination. I get them all mixed up because they're all nut jobs.

> The JW's have predicted the End of the World four times since their founding. The last official prediction was for 1975. Unofficially, some members also claimed 1984 to be the correct date when nothing happened in 1975. After each failed prediction, there was a lot of creative backpedaling in their follow-up literature.
http://www.cesnur.org/2010/to-chryssides.htm
09-02-2018, 11:38 AM
(09-02-2018 06:43 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > The JW's have predicted the End of the World four times since their founding. The last official prediction was for 1975. Unofficially, some members also claimed 1984 to be the correct date when nothing happened in 1975. After each failed prediction, there was a lot of creative backpedaling in their follow-up literature.

Makes enough sense
09-02-2018, 01:20 PM
(08-02-2018 11:39 PM)skyking Wrote:  
(08-02-2018 12:00 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  They came by the other day but I missed them because I was working with ear protection on and didn't here them come down the driveway or leave. I was actually looking forward to their next visit. I told them last time they came to send their best debater along because they weren't up to the task. I wanted to see what they had to say.
I can imagine that an encounter with you, or a few other folks here I can think of, would be akin to putting your brain in a blender. I simply don't have the inclination to deconstruct the house of cards in front of them, but I would like to be the fly on the wall Smile

The last ones that came were clueless, brainwashed drones. "look at the trees, the sky, the leaves...where did they come from?" Me: They came from existence by a causal process. Them, blank out. I used to dread them coming but now that I'm armed against their nonsense, it's fun. Plus I live way out in the boonies and don't get a lot of visitors.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
09-02-2018, 02:14 PM
(11-10-2017 08:50 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(18-08-2017 08:16 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Nope, no JWs at my house. Not since we got added to that "skip this house" list a few years ago when I told them I was perfectly happy being the Head Priestess of the Church of the Rising Penis (all rise), thank you very much. I know they're around though. I keep seeing them on Main Street. They look about 14 years old. I feel sorry for them in their long-sleeved starched white shirts and ties in this 105 degrees in the shade weather.

> Strangely, neither of the two groups of JW's who come to my door have added my house to a list of those to be bypassed, despite the fact that I've always told them up front that I'm an atheist. I came back from the Transfer Station last Saturday to find a copy of THE WATCHTOWER on my back porch. That's the third time I've been visited this year.

> Oddly, they left their literature next door too. The house has a FOR SALE sign in front and has been empty for over a year. Facepalm

I've read that if you tell them you are apostate, they won't have anything to do with you.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
09-02-2018, 04:15 PM
(09-02-2018 02:14 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 08:50 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > Strangely, neither of the two groups of JW's who come to my door have added my house to a list of those to be bypassed, despite the fact that I've always told them up front that I'm an atheist. I came back from the Transfer Station last Saturday to find a copy of THE WATCHTOWER on my back porch. That's the third time I've been visited this year.

> Oddly, they left their literature next door too. The house has a FOR SALE sign in front and has been empty for over a year. Facepalm

I've read that if you tell them you are apostate, they won't have anything to do with you.
"I'm rational" would work better than a lie, I think.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2018, 05:06 PM
(09-02-2018 04:15 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 02:14 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I've read that if you tell them you are apostate, they won't have anything to do with you.
"I'm rational" would work better than a lie, I think.

Actually it's not a lie in my case, but yeah I forget that many were never theists.

09-02-2018, 05:20 PM
(09-02-2018 05:06 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 04:15 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  "I'm rational" would work better than a lie, I think.

Actually it's not a lie in my case, but yeah I forget that many were never theists.

> I simply tell them I'm an atheist and I have no use for their literature. I no longer invite them in to discuss religion because, quite some time ago, I lost patience trying to reason with closed-minded, intellectual illiterates who do little else than hand out tracts and quote the Bible. Dodgy
09-02-2018, 05:40 PM
(09-02-2018 05:20 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 05:06 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Actually it's not a lie in my case, but yeah I forget that many were never theists.

> I simply tell them I'm an atheist and I have no use for their literature. I no longer invite them in to discuss religion because, quite some time ago, I lost patience trying to reason with closed-minded, intellectual illiterates who do little else than hand out tracts and quote the Bible. Dodgy

I'd probably do the same if they were coming around more than once a year. I used to live outside of Denver up in the mountains and there were a lot of Kingdom Halls there. They used to come by every week. The Mormons were just as bad. I'm surprised the Mormons don't come by where I live now because there is a huge Mormon population here. There's a whole town about 20 miles away that is almost exclusively Mormon.