Any Jehovah's Witnesses at your door lately?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2017, 12:51 AM
RE: Any Jehovah's Witnesses at your door lately?
One of the high points of my life in the desert was my neighbors asking me a similar question, and I was like...

Angel

'Cause they came by and had a chat with the crazy ol' prophet and marked that spot on the map "here be dragons." Laugh out load

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-04-2017, 03:05 AM
(04-04-2017 08:25 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Recommendations?

We not only have a "No Soliciting" sign on our front door, but we also turned off the ringers on our phones so everything goes to our answering machine. Most of our calls are from people who want to sell us something (which is all Jehovah Witnesses are anyway). Our family and friends know we will call them back if they leave a message.
Find all posts by this user
05-04-2017, 03:25 AM
Funnily enough I has some elderly chaps turn up at my house this week, inviting me down to some sort of "thing" there are holding with the church. Gave me a flyer and politely left without saying anything too much. I very rarely get them round our way, although my partner gets harassed by them if they pass her in the street, especially if shes on her own with our daughter (I presume they think she is a single parent?).

Many moons ago they popped a leaflet through, which I thought "you know what, I'm going to read this". It contained all the usual gubbins, but featured a section on evolution/science. it said something along the lines of "we accept there have been advancements in the field of science...", but abruptly ended with "...but are you calling god a liar?" lol. The leaflet quickly went into the bin at that point.

My friend was a JW, and I was always jealous of him because at my school we had to sing hymns/say the lords prayer, although he was exempt for religious reasons. I tried to argue I wasn't a christian, but they made me do it anyway Undecided

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
05-04-2017, 04:35 AM
I have no solicitors signs on my gate and my front door, and whenever I've been visited I point to the sign and slam the door. Evidently word got around, because while I sometimes see pairs or little groups walking up and down our street, they don't come to my house. Hobo

I see them most in Hyde Park (MA). A friend of mine lives there, and several times when I've gone to see him the JWs are out and about. They are very persistent in that neighborhood and have sometimes accosted me as I get out of my car!
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
05-04-2017, 04:42 AM
(05-04-2017 12:25 AM)ukatheist Wrote:  Had a couple of JW ladies at my door last week, just politely said I wasn't interested and they left, equally politely. Didn't even try to leave me a leaflet.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

> There have been times when I've offered the JW's some atheist tracts, but they took one look at them and left without a word. Completely brainwashed, they only read what they're told to read and think what they're told to think.
05-04-2017, 04:52 AM
(05-04-2017 03:25 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Funnily enough I has some elderly chaps turn up at my house this week, inviting me down to some sort of "thing" there are holding with the church. Gave me a flyer and politely left without saying anything too much. I very rarely get them round our way, although my partner gets harassed by them if they pass her in the street, especially if shes on her own with our daughter (I presume they think she is a single parent?).

Many moons ago they popped a leaflet through, which I thought "you know what, I'm going to read this". It contained all the usual gubbins, but featured a section on evolution/science. it said something along the lines of "we accept there have been advancements in the field of science...", but abruptly ended with "...but are you calling god a liar?" lol. The leaflet quickly went into the bin at that point.

My friend was a JW, and I was always jealous of him because at my school we had to sing hymns/say the lords prayer, although he was exempt for religious reasons. I tried to argue I wasn't a christian, but they made me do it anyway Undecided

> Was that in a public school? Maybe they can get away with that sort of thing in the UK, but in the US it's unconstitutional and no longer allowed.

> My nephew is the principal of a public school in Maine. He has, in the recent past, received complaints from JW parents about the teaching of evolutionary science in his school. He has always informed them that they are welcome to send their children to another school, as the curriculum is not about to be altered to suit anyone's religious beliefs. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
05-04-2017, 05:04 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2017 05:13 AM by Gwaithmir.)
(05-04-2017 04:35 AM)julep Wrote:  I have no solicitors signs on my gate and my front door, and whenever I've been visited I point to the sign and slam the door. Evidently word got around, because while I sometimes see pairs or little groups walking up and down our street, they don't come to my house. Hobo

I see them most in Hyde Park (MA). A friend of mine lives there, and several times when I've gone to see him the JWs are out and about. They are very persistent in that neighborhood and have sometimes accosted me as I get out of my car!

> I once had a similar experience when I was walking home from a neighbour's house. Two JW women got out of a car and tried to hand me their literature. I politely told them that I'm an atheist and that their biggest problem was that they didn't understand what atheism is. They showed me a study/instruction sheet titled, "How to talk to an atheist." I proceeded to point out all the logical fallacies and mistakes on the sheet and why they'll never convince an atheist of anything that way. They thanked me for the advice, but I don't know if they ever profited from it. Consider

> Incidentally, I earned my Associate Degree in Machine Processes Technology at Wentworth Institute in Boston during the late 1960's.
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
05-04-2017, 05:26 AM
(05-04-2017 04:52 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 03:25 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Funnily enough I has some elderly chaps turn up at my house this week, inviting me down to some sort of "thing" there are holding with the church. Gave me a flyer and politely left without saying anything too much. I very rarely get them round our way, although my partner gets harassed by them if they pass her in the street, especially if shes on her own with our daughter (I presume they think she is a single parent?).

> Was that in a public school? Maybe they can get away with that sort of thing in the UK, but in the US it's unconstitutional and no longer allowed.

> My nephew is the principal of a public school in Maine. He has, in the recent past, received complaints from JW parents about the teaching of evolutionary science in his school. He has always informed them that they are welcome to send their children to another school, as the curriculum is not about to be altered to suit anyone's religious beliefs. Thumbsup
Yeah it was a public school, it was also about 24 years ago, so I'm not sure if it's really done anymore. We used to have to sing hymns, say prayers and we had a reverend come down on a friday to tell us stories. I knew from a young age that it wasn't for me, but unless you were of a different faith, (as in had faith to begin with), you were made to sit there like a plank and sing songs.

The only plus was we got to make covers for our hymn books, and I drew cartoon characters all over mine Laugh out load

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
05-04-2017, 05:52 AM
I like it when they call! I can keep them there for as long as I can! I will give them bible verses I have problems with and as the rest of the gang move on the moor unconfutable they become, they want to get away! Then I give them a passage or two that will give them problems like. Who do they hate? when JC tells them to hate there mother, father, brother and to hate them selves and then they can be his disciples!

I see it this way, When they are out on the doors they have so much time to give and if I stop them from knocking someone else door. I think I have completed something nice to humanity!

PS. My Mum is a JW but the faith graft never took on me! So you can see why I do what I do!

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!
[+] 2 users Like JONES's post
05-04-2017, 06:20 AM
(05-04-2017 05:52 AM)JONES Wrote:  I like it when they call! I can keep them there for as long as I can! I will give them bible verses I have problems with and as the rest of the gang move on the moor unconfutable they become, they want to get away! Then I give them a passage or two that will give them problems like. Who do they hate? when JC tells them to hate there mother, father, brother and to hate them selves and then they can be his disciples!

I see it this way, When they are out on the doors they have so much time to give and if I stop them from knocking someone else door. I think I have completed something nice to humanity!

PS. My Mum is a JW but the faith graft never took on me! So you can see why I do what I do!

> If I have the opportunity to argue about the Bible with JW's, I make sure it's the New World Translation. I agreed to accept a copy from a JW back in the early 1980's with the understanding that it would become a permanent part of my private library, along with any other literature he passed on to me.