Any Jehovah's Witnesses at your door lately?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2017, 01:28 PM
RE: Any Jehovah's Witnesses at your door lately?
"Russia’s Supreme Court has upheld the decision of a Russian city to ban Jehovah’s Witnesses as an extremist group."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eur...story.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
06-04-2017, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2017 02:36 PM by Rockblossom.)
(06-04-2017 01:28 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  "Russia’s Supreme Court has upheld the decision of a Russian city to ban Jehovah’s Witnesses as an extremist group."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eur...story.html
Perhaps the best thing we could do for our country is to pay the passage for our Evangelicals (of whatever sect) to move to Russia. After all, there aren't a lot of people in 'Murica who haven't heard their spiel already, and there's plenty of open spaces and fertile ground for their evangelizing in Mother Russia. Anyone think we could persuade a few of them to emigrate? Perhaps if we threw in some Russian language lessons and a boatload of __holy book of choice__ in the Russian translation?

And if Jesus were to come back, how do they know he would want anything to do with them?
[Image: 2409667920ccba881031d50561f94287.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
06-04-2017, 06:14 PM
I blame it on this thread.

Just had two Baptist ladies come to the door to invite us to their church. They were pleasant. Offered the invitation and handed me card with info about the location of the church and the times of services.

No preaching. Just polite and I responded in kind.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
06-04-2017, 06:27 PM
(06-04-2017 06:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I blame it on this thread.

Just had two Baptist ladies come to the door to invite us to their church. They were pleasant. Offered the invitation and handed me card with info about the location of the church and the times of services.

> I once got an invitation like that from a Baptist church in the town down the road from mine. I had only been living here for about a year. I wasn't home at the time, however, and someone left the invitation card on the back porch. I never responded to it and there was no follow-up visit. Huh
06-04-2017, 06:30 PM
(06-04-2017 06:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I blame it on this thread.

That's the way they are around my neck of the woods. Polite invitation and off to the next house. I just take the paper and walk it to the trashcan.

When I lived in Phoenix years ago, I had JWs come by and try to sell me their propaganda. I was like, WTF?
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
06-04-2017, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2017 06:35 PM by Full Circle.)
Russia takes extremism to the extreme. Blink

Russia Moves to Ban Jehovah’s Witnesses as ‘Extremist’

"VOROKHOBINO, Russia — A dedicated pacifist who has never even held a gun, Andrei Sivak discovered that his government considered him a dangerous extremist when he tried to change some money and the teller “suddenly looked up at me with a face full of fear.”

His name had popped up on the exchange bureau’s computer system, along with those of members of Al Qaeda, the Islamic State and other militant groups responsible for shocking acts of violence.

The only group the 43-year-old father of three has ever belonged to, however, is Jehovah’s Witnesses, a Christian denomination committed to the belief that the Bible must be taken literally, particularly its injunction “Thou shalt not kill.”

ps Oops, Thoreauvian beat me to it.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
06-04-2017, 06:42 PM
Years ago we invited a couple in our neighborhood to have dinner with us.
My wife and I like to collect tribal art including masks, we have some pretty cool ones from around the world.
The couple walks in and stares at them and ask what do they mean.
Being the smartass that I am I immediately responded that we use them to scare off the JWs.

Yeah, you know what’s coming...they were JWs and I didn’t know it. They left never to return. Oh well.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
06-04-2017, 06:48 PM
(06-04-2017 06:42 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Years ago we invited a couple in our neighborhood to have dinner with us.
My wife and I like to collect tribal art including masks, we have some pretty cool ones from around the world.
The couple walks in and stares at them and ask what do they mean.
Being the smartass that I am I immediately responded that we use them to scare off the JWs.

Yeah, you know what’s coming...they were JWs and I didn’t know it. They left never to return. Oh well.

Talk about awkward.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
06-04-2017, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2017 07:04 PM by BackSlider.)
Actually it has been awhile. Years come to think of it since I've seen a pair of those black n' white clad gents.
The last two teenage JW that approached me in my garage on a Sat. am. were caught totally off guard when I gave them serious chit about soliciting in our neighborhood. I insisted they simply were trying to sell me complete with damn sales fliers . I assured them I could find their churches plenty easy enough, if I wanted to.

Unfortunately many of the other details of our 30 or so minute encounter are now lost due to other memories, but rest assured, they were rethinking their little innocent "evangelism" routine that evening.
They were honest enough to admit having seen the "No Soliciting" sign but choose to ignore it which really fired me up.

Humm so WWJD seeing that sign??

[Image: 0517-maffly-kipp_mormon-missionaries-550x358.jpg]

(properly attached photo credits to Gwaithmir!)

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 2 users Like BackSlider's post
06-04-2017, 06:59 PM
What happens when a JW calls on a Mormon household or vice versa?
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post