Any Jehovah's Witnesses at your door lately?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2017, 07:19 PM
RE: Any Jehovah's Witnesses at your door lately?
> I am thoroughly convinced that JW's are completely incapable of carrying on an intelligent conversation and/or a fair exchange of ideas with atheists. This is because it is against their religious beliefs to even consider the possibility that they might be wrong. They preach and preach and preach, yet they never construct rational arguments or produce reliable evidence to support their views.

> A case in point involves a pair of young male JW's who came to my door about 20 years ago. I invited them in for a discussion, only to have them quote the Bible at me and offer me tracts while completely ignoring whatever counterarguments I offered. After a short time, I realized they weren't thinking for themselves, but following an instruction sheet: "What Will You Say to an Atheist?" They happily gave me a copy.

> Here's a selection from their instruction sheet which pretty much sums up their line of proselytization:

8 You might pursue a conversation with an atheist by asking:

"Have you ever wondered: 'If there is a God, why is there so much suffering and injustice in the world?' Read Jeremiah 10:23. After reading, ask his opinion of the text. Then show him pages 16 and 17 in the brochure
Will There Ever Be a World Without War? Or, instead, you may use Chapter 10 of The Creator book. Invite him to accept the publication and read the material. For further suggestions, see The Reasoning book, pages 150-1."

> Notice that there is no instruction for considering the atheist's opinion and offering a rational response to it.

9 "Admittedly, not all atheists will accept the truth. But there are many who are willing to consider another viewpoint. Use logic, persuasion, and, above all, the power of God's Word to help them see the truth. (Acts 28:23-24, Hebrews 4:12)"

> That last paragraph clearly illustrates their dismal lack of understanding of what actually constitutes truth and logic. They also fail to realize that atheists don't believe in the Bible, so quoting from it is a complete waste of time. Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
06-04-2017, 07:49 PM
(06-04-2017 07:19 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > Notice that there is no instruction for considering the atheist's opinion and offering a rational response to it.

They're door-to-door salesmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
06-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Now, I'm going to put the sign on the gate to the front porch. I don't understand about those of you who have found stuff on your back porch. Where I live, that's called trespassing. One would have to go through two gates on one side of my house (and three on the other) to get to the back porch. That's firearm territory, right there.

I have used this line on people proselytizing when I'm out front, working on a vehicle (and, as a result, in no mood for any persiflage about a deity):

"Aren't you a little old for an imaginary playmate?". I don't see a one-eyebrow-raised smiley, but that's the look I give.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
06-04-2017, 08:51 PM
You guys...come on, you don’t need a No Soliciting or No Trespassing sign, what you need is a Beware of Dog sign.

[Image: Warning-Sign-K-5286.gif]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
07-04-2017, 12:20 AM
(05-04-2017 06:20 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 05:52 AM)JONES Wrote:  I like it when they call! I can keep them there for as long as I can! I will give them bible verses I have problems with and as the rest of the gang move on the moor unconfutable they become, they want to get away! Then I give them a passage or two that will give them problems like. Who do they hate? when JC tells them to hate there mother, father, brother and to hate them selves and then they can be his disciples!

I see it this way, When they are out on the doors they have so much time to give and if I stop them from knocking someone else door. I think I have completed something nice to humanity!

PS. My Mum is a JW but the faith graft never took on me! So you can see why I do what I do!

> If I have the opportunity to argue about the Bible with JW's, I make sure it's the New World Translation. I agreed to accept a copy from a JW back in the early 1980's with the understanding that it would become a permanent part of my private library, along with any other literature he passed on to me.

I have a copy of that and the king James! I use coloured peace's of paper in the book to mark my pages in advance! When you prep you can have so much fun! The fun part is when they say. "I'll need to come back to you on that ". But they never do!

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!
[+] 2 users Like JONES's post
07-04-2017, 12:39 AM
(06-04-2017 06:59 PM)KUSA Wrote:  What happens when a JW calls on a Mormon household or vice versa?

A knock off?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-04-2017, 12:48 AM
(07-04-2017 12:39 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-04-2017 06:59 PM)KUSA Wrote:  What happens when a JW calls on a Mormon household or vice versa?

A knock off?

It's like a bum fight, but with more Jesus.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-04-2017, 03:16 AM

You know that scene in Anchorman where all the news teams fight? That.

"I had a trident"

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
07-04-2017, 06:32 AM
(06-04-2017 07:58 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I have used this line on people proselytizing when I'm out front, working on a vehicle (and, as a result, in no mood for any persiflage about a deity):

"Aren't you a little old for an imaginary playmate?". I don't see a one-eyebrow-raised smiley, but that's the look I give.

I had a group come by one day while I was working in the front yard; they asked if I would like a bible and I said "No thanks, I gave up on fairy tales when I was four". They moved on.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
07-04-2017, 06:49 AM
Boot camp, 1969. Everybody is collecting their kit as we're conducted from the land of the free to the home of the brave. As we move down the line our basket is a target for the drones issuing what the Navy considered important for a lowly recruit. All the semi-sentient beings doing the tossing are in uniform except for the last one, a man in a civvie suit. He's putting "Testament, New, Pocket size, one each" in our baskets. I say "No thanks." Instantly a petty officer appears. "You don't have to read it, but you have to take it." I took it. I found ... uses ... for it during the next nine weeks.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post