Any Musical/Poetic Atheists Here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2013, 08:36 PM
RE: Any Musical/Poetic Atheists Here?
I have books of prose and poetry as well as a couple of songs I wrote as a teen. I have enough sense and shame not to post them, but they were therapeutic for me at the time. I haven't written anything like that (aside from a couple of silly songs) in about a decade. I used to create digital pictures as well.

I WAS artistic, don't know what happened. Now that I think about it I haven't drugs in the same length of time. Consider

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Well, it sounds like you both have enough experience to, at the very least, be a critic. But likely, you would do well in helping me craft additional songs. Look at the sample I offered. That's not fantastic, by any means. But I imagine it's something that could be sung to a catchy tune, and presto! Music!

So I don't think the quality of the poetry has to be revolutionary. I think the ideas will cover that. If we can just make the songs catchy enough, that'll turn some eyes towards the content of the song. And that's really my hope. Is that people hear and consider the arguments. This is just a "new" vehicle to do just that - which is to say, I'm simply trying to provide more content this way.

Religious but open minded about the arguments of atheists? You may have spent your whole life learning about the arguments for religion. May I present to you 10 segmented hours for the case against it?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Fair warning, I am NOT a kind critic. I don't go out of my way to be a asshole, but I tell the truth, the unfiltered truth. I cause people to get their feelings hurt when I am a critic. This is why I don't generally criticize unless it is positive, my job, or if I am asked to after this warning. If you still want me to, post it as an attachment, or post a link and tell me you still want it.

13-07-2013, 01:14 AM
(11-07-2013 10:21 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Fair warning, I am NOT a kind critic. I don't go out of my way to be a asshole, but I tell the truth, the unfiltered truth. I cause people to get their feelings hurt when I am a critic. This is why I don't generally criticize unless it is positive, my job, or if I am asked to after this warning. If you still want me to, post it as an attachment, or post a link and tell me you still want it.

I think Dark Light needs a mod position called "Sassiest on the forum"
[Image: tumblr_miu8ikWwqy1s720tvo1_500.png]

[Image: pBvowKv.gif]
13-07-2013, 01:44 AM
That's the first time I've ever been described as "sassy". Hmmm....I guess these heathens usually aren't so kind with there description.

That wasn't a typo. That wasn't a fuckup. I just put that there to annoy whichever grammar Nazi is lurking. I know you're there.

18-07-2013, 02:48 PM
So youtube is becoming creepily good at suggesting videos I like. And because of it, I've discovered another section of speech that might be awesome for a song. What would you guys think about the power and message of this clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JzcCviNDk

Religious but open minded about the arguments of atheists? You may have spent your whole life learning about the arguments for religion. May I present to you 10 segmented hours for the case against it?
18-07-2013, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2013 09:35 PM by Golbez.)
DOUBLE POST!

Got an idea I think would be pretty convincing. Not necessarily a show stopper, because to a believer, what argument ever is? But goes like this:

It's a challenge to Pascal's Wager - the concept of "what do I have to lose by believing?" As if the outcome to that hypothesis is this idea of "Gain = everything. Lose = nothing." Which is ridiculous, and this is the case I wish to present. Working title - Pascal's Failure. Eh? Eh? You know you like it.

So the loose plot of the poem would go something like this: Maybe speculate about how hard it is to prove our deep historic roots one way or another, so in the absence of evidence, ponder Pascal's Wager. "Sounds" reasonable enough. Some enticing, insidious proposal. But then we start identifying everything devout believers give up to live their life of piety. Nuns, monks take on vows of celibacy. Mormons "can't" drink (though let's hear it for 900 wives, and really, who cares about black people?) The practice of going to church so many days/months of your life, having such beliefs guide your political views. Sacrificing your critical faculties to agree outright to the belief that the earth is 6000 years old, global warming can't happen/be manmade, gays are god's abomination, etc. In the end, one lives a life pledged to a hope for which there is no valid evidence. Your whole life devoted to a pipe dream.

So yeah, that. Anyone wanna collaborate on fleshing out some lyrics? If you do, please post whatever you work on. Or maybe I'll give a shot at it within a few days, plus or minus several days. Smile

Edit - Does this forum accept attachments? MP3s or midis? I got a sample riff I could share to offer some basic idea of some of the sound I offer in my playing/writing. That might be worthwhile to share. Or should I just use an upload service?