Any Native Americans here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Any Native Americans here?
Just thought I'd ask because I need to ask someone a few things, preferably someone still rather in touch with traditions and attitudes of the first nations of America.

Just PM me if you don't mind :3

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2011, 10:39 PM

RE: Any Native Americans here?
im half cherokee, but i dont look like it :/ ive got blond hair and blue eyes, and pale skin, though i do tan better than my pure white dad. my mom and brother look very cherokee though, they both have dark tan skin all the time, and my mom has black hair, and my brother has dark brown. its kinda weird though, cuz i have the same facial features of my cherokee grandpa, and my brother, just lighter skin. my brother looks like a clone of my grandpa. i remember my great grandmother, and she still believed in the religion of her people, and could speak the language.
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm not native but I've worked closely with the local communities and my mother teaches native history, so if I can help let me know.
31-08-2011, 07:24 AM
I have an acceptable understanding of many parts though I've not taken great stock in my first nation roots. Ask the question, you never know who might be best at answering. Many Chinese legends are best understood by Caucasians who have a zeal for Chinese history. It's not always best to require a representative be of the group you are looking for, especially when you are talking about a multitude of tribes with differing views, and a general lack of full understanding to their own roots due to the reeducation of natives imposed by many governments.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
31-08-2011, 06:59 PM
My questions are more related to exactly where native British are in the Native American perception. ie, Would it be as offensive for a Scotsman to decorate his house in a traditional first nations style as it is usually seems to be when a white American does it? Stuff like that.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
31-08-2011, 09:41 PM

(31-08-2011 06:59 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  My questions are more related to exactly where native British are in the Native American perception. ie, Would it be as offensive for a Scotsman to decorate his house in a traditional first nations style as it is usually seems to be when a white American does it? Stuff like that.

it depends greatly on the tribe, my tribe gave up most of the native ways because they saw if they didnt accept the progress the west brought theyd die. they built a civilized nation, and then the trail of tears happened anyway. but the cherokee nation i dont believe would have a problem. there are other tribes though that still hold very dear to the old traditions, and think it is wrong for an outsider, who doesnt understand the spiritual implications, to use them as decorations. like i said though, youd have to check with the particular tribe or tribes youre representing. youre bound to offend someone. but the only reason youd be offending them is because of a religion they still practice, and i think that people need to get over that, even if they are my family. so unless you dont want to offend religion, put up whatever the hell you want. but as i understand it, were all atheists here. whatever you wanna do man
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Yeah give us a specific tribe as there are only a few that are still exclusivists. Nowadays after the reeducation of native youths most people see a connection beyond simply their tribe. I would suggest though that you understand a good amount of the meaning of a decoration before prominently displaying it.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.