Any Physics/Cosmology Buffs Wanna Take a Crack at This?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Any Physics/Cosmology Buffs Wanna Take a Crack at This?
Hello everyone, I was arguing with a creationist the other day about the big bang and he sent me a link to this page.

http://hiltonratcliffe.com/article008.htm

I'm not really sure what to make of it. I know the popular science kinda stuff about astronomy, the big bang, etc. , but this is a little more technical than I have any experience with. So I was hoping any interest party could point out anything of interest.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2013, 12:12 PM
RE: Any Physics/Cosmology Buffs Wanna Take a Crack at This?
(24-07-2013 10:27 AM)THEDEATHBERRY22 Wrote:  Hello everyone, I was arguing with a creationist the other day about the big bang and he sent me a link to this page.

http://hiltonratcliffe.com/article008.htm

I'm not really sure what to make of it. I know the popular science kinda stuff about astronomy, the big bang, etc. , but this is a little more technical than I have any experience with. So I was hoping any interest party could point out anything of interest.

So looking over that report I didn't get the sense of "We don't know therefor God" but rather that some of the current theories may be incorrect (always a possibility) but there is actual scientific explanations that differs from the current mainstream accepted theories. If anything that report is trying to distance themselves from the wackjob creationist bs that gives anyone questioning anything in cosmology a bad name.

My guess is your creationist is subtly trying to play the "science changes it's mind all the time" card as if that was a bad thing. Science is better than religion simply because when new information comes to light sciences changes to accept that new information, religion denies the change until it is untenable to do so and then after fighting as hard as they could finally admit they were right all along and the information was foretold in their holy book.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
24-07-2013, 12:24 PM
I suspect he's grasping at straws using a 'God of The Gaps' argument. We don't fully understand it, therefore, by default God did it.

Remind him that, if that's his position, it's equally plausible to say that magic did it or that Unicorns did it, etc.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
24-07-2013, 12:30 PM

And here I thought theists liked the big bang.

But no, that site doesn't say particularly much about anything. It's questioning the consensus, which is good; it's pretty loopy stuff, but they don't seem too crazy (though, the vibes of "this is the real truth they don't want you to know!" don't help).

Do you know what point he was trying to make with it? Beyond "trololol science r imperfect therfor GOD" ?

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
24-07-2013, 01:14 PM
I think these people have been debunked.
In general it's called the New Redshift Interpretation. It's crap.
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmoall.htm
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/nri.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

11-08-2013, 01:34 AM
Thank you all for your contributions. I'm so sorry I haven't responded until now. My mom is sick with a lupus flare and I'm busy taking care of her.