Any Republican Atheists Here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Any Republican Atheists Here?
Not trying to flame at ALL here, honestly. Out in the real world I have one friend who's both Republican and Atheist - he makes it work. And quite honestly at a basic level I don't see why a belief in a higher power should be a prerequisite for a conservative worldview. Hell Libertarianism just about demands the absence of a divine overseer if so much authority is to be vested with the individual. But I imagine that out and proud atheists of the conservative persuasion probably have a VERY hard time (at least in America) finding common ground with other conservatives? If that's your experience, tell us about it! What do you think of your party's courtship of the bible thumpers? Will it be your undoing?

I'm a flaming liberal myself and I think that fits in with atheism swimmingly; but I'm not here to incite anything or disrespect people. I find it genuinely interesting to hear about how people come to their opinions on divine and political matters alike.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
20-11-2014, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2014 01:59 PM by unfogged.)
RE: Any Republican Atheists Here?
There is one in a local meetup group that I sometimes attend. He is very republican but when you ask about the details he is pretty liberal on social policies. The issue for him is that fiscal issues are much more important.

I'm in somewhat the same area, as are other atheists I know. I never declared for either party but used to lean republican in most cases. I generally felt that the damage done on social issues by Republicans was easier to fix than the damage done by Democrats to economic issues. That ended when GWB was elected and it was obvious that the right-wing religious nutjobs had taken over and they were now going to be harmful across the board. It is also what drove me to be more vocal about atheism.

Lately I've been of the opinion that voting for either party, especially for any incumbent in Washington DC, is tantamount to treason. The whole lot needs to be flushed.

Edit: just to clarify, I am maybe a little right of center on economic issues and very left of center on social issues

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 10 users Like unfogged's post
20-11-2014, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2014 02:48 PM by KidCharlemagne1962.)
I used to be a Republican but living in Ma. that meant people slightly more conservative than Democrats and mainly on fiscal issues.

They went off the rails long ago with the religious right and we parted ways.Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 4 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
20-11-2014, 02:17 PM
Aren't Penn and Teller conservatives?

I know they're big on Libertarianism.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-11-2014, 02:22 PM
I find Libertarianism is just about as far to the Left as you can possibly get on social issues - they generally believe government should have virtually zero regulation over any human endeavors where nobody's hurting anybody else. Unfortunately (at least in my view) they think that also extends to letting the free market solve every problem of mankind which history has shown us it has neither the ability nor the
inclination to do. I think Libertarianism is sort of where you end up if you go just about as far out on each "wing" of political philosophy as you can.
20-11-2014, 02:27 PM
I lean left on more issues, but lean right on the ones I consider most important.

'Murican Canadian
20-11-2014, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2014 03:39 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I belong to the Tea Party. Long live Sarah Palin. Confused

But really, I might be a Repub, (apart from the fact that my great granny and grampa would haunt the crap out of me), if it really was the Party of Lincoln, like it used to be.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/04/opinio....html?_r=0

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-11-2014, 03:18 PM
I often get accused of being a republican nazi hitler worshipping cis male hetero white devil racist bigot because I'm a right leaning centrist, but that is by EU standards. By American standards I'd say I'm practically left wing xD

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 3 users Like Cetaceaphile's post
20-11-2014, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2014 03:23 PM by Free Thought.)
(20-11-2014 01:15 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Not trying to flame at ALL here, honestly. Out in the real world I have one friend who's both Republican and Atheist - he makes it work. And quite honestly at a basic level I don't see why a belief in a higher power should be a prerequisite for a conservative worldview. Hell Libertarianism just about demands the absence of a divine overseer if so much authority is to be vested with the individual. But I imagine that out and proud atheists of the conservative persuasion probably have a VERY hard time (at least in America) finding common ground with other conservatives? If that's your experience, tell us about it! What do you think of your party's courtship of the bible thumpers? Will it be your undoing?

I'm a flaming liberal myself and I think that fits in with atheism swimmingly; but I'm not here to incite anything or disrespect people. I find it genuinely interesting to hear about how people come to their opinions on divine and political matters alike.

I'm a republican... But not in the American sense.

Do I count?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Here in Australia we have the Liberal party, currently in power, and conservative.
The leader Tony Abbott is a somewhat devout Catholic. The opposing Labour party, not quite so conservative is led by Bill Shorten, not quite so religious.
Minor parties may execute some control in government legislation by blocking bills in the Senate, if they have the necessary numbers. Voting is compulsory in Australia.

We have a state election on November 29; I will be voting Green,