Any Republican Atheists Here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2014, 03:26 PM
RE: Any Republican Atheists Here?
So the logical next question - do your conservative friends give you a hard time about your atheism and do your atheist friends give you a hard time about your conservatism?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2014, 03:47 PM
(20-11-2014 03:26 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  So the logical next question - do your conservative friends give you a hard time about your atheism and do your atheist friends give you a hard time about your conservatism?

Nope; because I don't talk politics with friends. And I'm not a liberal so I've little conservatism to go around. Confused

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-11-2014, 03:53 PM
I used to identify as Republican, but that party no longer exists.

Today, I can identify with neither major party as they are extremely polarized and essentially irrational.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 13 users Like Chas's post
20-11-2014, 03:58 PM
(20-11-2014 03:26 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  So the logical next question - do your conservative friends give you a hard time about your atheism and do your atheist friends give you a hard time about your conservatism?

Most people assume I'm a Bleeding Heart Liberal, (prolly cuz I am sorta), and since I live in La-La Land, it flies ok. But it's been pointed out to me a few times, I grew up in a sheltered atmosphere, and take the "order and structure" that goes with that, very much for granted. I'm probably a lot more conservative that I realize, or even want to think I am. My friends (except academic type ones) don't usually talk about religion or politics. We do at home tho, especially if the neighbors are over for dinner, or whatever. Some of my parents friends are big-shot Ca. Repubs. They usually ask what I think, and tend not to disagree very much. I used to think of myself as a Dem, but early on, (1st term) I was not so much not a fan of the current White House inhabitant. Not so much him, but his incompetent "team".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-11-2014, 04:04 PM
(20-11-2014 03:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I used to think of myself as a Dem, but early on, (1st term) I was not so much not a fan of the current White House inhabitant. Not so much him, but his incompetent "team".

He campaigns well but he is incredibly ineffective as a leader. Unfortunately I don't see anybody lining up for 2016 that won't be even worse. The only reason I'd vote democratic would be to have whoever is doing the supreme court nominations not adding yet another jackass like scalia, alito, or thomas.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post
20-11-2014, 04:16 PM
(20-11-2014 04:04 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(20-11-2014 03:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I used to think of myself as a Dem, but early on, (1st term) I was not so much not a fan of the current White House inhabitant. Not so much him, but his incompetent "team".

He campaigns well but he is incredibly ineffective as a leader.

Is it possible to be an effective leader, without Congress on-board? The American political system seems to be designed to prevent it...

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
20-11-2014, 04:18 PM
(20-11-2014 04:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(20-11-2014 04:04 PM)unfogged Wrote:  He campaigns well but he is incredibly ineffective as a leader.

Is it possible to be an effective leader, without Congress on-board? The American political system seems to be designed to prevent it...

Could be worse. They could be Weimar Germany.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-11-2014, 04:21 PM
(20-11-2014 04:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(20-11-2014 04:04 PM)unfogged Wrote:  He campaigns well but he is incredibly ineffective as a leader.

I think so, at least with regard to being out in front on defining the issues and engendering public support. Congress might still have blocked measures but he could have made it much more politically difficult for them. He spent way too much time sitting back and saying little and letting congress set the public tone.

I cut him slack because of the level of opposition he faced but I still think he is his own worst enemy much of the time.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
20-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Re: Any Republican Atheists Here?
I'm like unfogged -- socially liberal, fiscally conservative. I've had trouble from liberal and conservative people concerning religion. It's not just the religious right that starts trouble.

I was also a libertarian for a long time, but it didn't click with me after a while. I was registered as a Republican for a short time, but it was more RINO but even that felt funny.

I don't vote along party lines and never will. Sure, I spend more time than I should researching the candidates but that's just how my brain works. I hate trying to watch Fox, CNN, CNBC, etc, and hearing how one is biased as if the others aren't. So I just don't watch them anymore.

For me, it's a case of neither party being ideal so I just keep voting and hoping something good comes out of it.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
20-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Question: what does "fiscally conservative" mean?

It's not exactly like anyone's out there advocating wanton profligacy...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post