Any Republican Atheists Here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2014, 05:21 PM
RE: Any Republican Atheists Here?
(20-11-2014 04:55 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Question: what does "fiscally conservative" mean?

It's not exactly like anyone's out there advocating wanton profligacy...

In my case it's basically a shorthand for the principle that, as a general rule, less government is better than more government. It is a balancing act because I certainly do think government has an important role and that it shouldn't be avoided simply for the sake of not having it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
20-11-2014, 05:29 PM
(20-11-2014 01:54 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I used to be a Republican but living in Ma. that meant people slightly more conservative than Democrats and mainly on fiscal issues.

They went off the rails long ago with the religious right and we parted ways.Drinking Beverage

I've known "conservatives" in Massachusetts who seem to be positionally far more liberal than than actual democrats across the nation scale as when analyzing their quotes and voting records.

I would say it seems many, maybe the majority of Americans actually fall under social liberal/ fiscal conservative when you ask them about issues clearly. I used to fill in that camp for awhile but I've begone to see the risk of taking social action into funding programs and communicant areas for people as leading to a healthy functioning community that can bring in its cost more than I used to.

So, not I, but there are some. There is Res who likes to pound his chest for conservatives and protecting nationalism on this board.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
20-11-2014, 05:31 PM
I'm Canadian, so I'm not sure I count, but I cheer for the Republicans. I'm very leftist on economic issues, but on social issues (which are my biggest concern) such as free-speech, multiculturalism, immigration and third-wave "feminism" I strongly lean right.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
20-11-2014, 06:16 PM
(20-11-2014 05:31 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  I'm Canadian, so I'm not sure I count, but I cheer for the Republicans. I'm very leftist on economic issues, but on social issues (which are my biggest concern) such as free-speech, multiculturalism, immigration and third-wave "feminism" I strongly lean right.

So let me get this straight. On fiscal issues you're all for everybody paying their fair share of taxes and helping the poor with a "From each according to their ability and to each according to their need." social philosophy. But on social issues you want to inhibit free-speech with voter suppression, multiculturalism is best summed up as "Don't trust them new niggers over there.", illegal immigrants need to be castrated before they're sent back to whatever circle of hell they come from before they can spawn citizens, and feminazis just need to shut the fuck up. I'm not sure that particular political creature can be found in the US.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 8 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-11-2014, 06:26 PM
(20-11-2014 06:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-11-2014 05:31 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  I'm Canadian, so I'm not sure I count, but I cheer for the Republicans. I'm very leftist on economic issues, but on social issues (which are my biggest concern) such as free-speech, multiculturalism, immigration and third-wave "feminism" I strongly lean right.

So let me get this straight. On fiscal issues you're all for everybody paying their fair share of taxes and helping the poor with a "From each according to their ability and to each according to their need." social philosophy. But on social issues you want to inhibit free-speech with voter suppression, multiculturalism is best summed up as "Don't trust them new niggers over there.", illegal immigrants need to be castrated before they're sent back to whatever circle of hell they come from before they can spawn citizens, and feminazis just need to shut the fuck up. I'm not sure that particular political creature can be found in the US.

You seem to misunderstand what I meant by being conservative on free-speech. Conservatives support free-speech while liberals are doing everything they can to destroy it with hate speech laws and political correctness.

And I am not in favor of tax-and-spend liberalism, I think the means of production should be socialized so all can use them and then sell what they produce on the free market.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

20-11-2014, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2014 06:42 PM by GirlyMan.)
(20-11-2014 06:26 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  You seem to misunderstand what I meant by being conservative on free-speech. Conservatives support free-speech while liberals are doing everything they can to destroy it with hate speech laws and political correctness.

We don't have hate speech laws in the USA otherwise Fox News would've been off the air long ago. We do have hate crime and antidiscrimination laws in the event some bigot decides to act on their prejudices. The fact that Republicans are trying to suppress free-speech with voter suppression laws is not only well documented but they're proud to admit it. "Only white male landowners and uneducated trailer park white trash who are so stupid they always vote against their own interests should have a vote. Goddamit."

(20-11-2014 06:26 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  And I am not in favor of tax-and-spend liberalism, I think the means of production should be socialized so all can use them and then sell what they produce on the free market.

Sounds like China's plan for introducing capitalism.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Officially I'm still a registered Republican, but the last repub I was actually willing to vote for was Jon Huntsman, who didn't even finish the pres race, before that I can't even think of anyone. I'm "mostly" a libertarian, although I'm not as "conservative" as they are with economics. More conservative than Dems economically though... I believe we should protect the environment and help disadvantaged people onto their feet... but beyond that...? Meh. Also despise "corporate welfare" but both parties are guilty of that crap. I don't like labels. I've been voting third party for the last few elections, Green or Libertarian, either are better than R or D.

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes MustangManda's post
20-11-2014, 07:12 PM
(20-11-2014 04:55 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Question: what does "fiscally conservative" mean?

It's not exactly like anyone's out there advocating wanton profligacy...

"It's not exactly like anyone's out there advocating wanton profligacy..." You need to meet some of our politicians. Big Grin

To me, it's spending tax money as wisely as possible, trying to keep taxes as low as possible and encouraging small and medium size business.

It has never meant leaving the weakest in society to fend for themselves, gutting education or allowing unbridled corporate power.

My conservative friends think I am a bloody Trotskyist. Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 4 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
20-11-2014, 07:21 PM
(20-11-2014 06:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-11-2014 06:26 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  You seem to misunderstand what I meant by being conservative on free-speech. Conservatives support free-speech while liberals are doing everything they can to destroy it with hate speech laws and political correctness.

We don't have hate speech laws in the USA otherwise Fox News would've been off the air long ago. We do have hate crime and antidiscrimination laws in the event some bigot decides to act on their prejudices. The fact that Republicans are trying to suppress free-speech with voter suppression laws is not only well documented but they're proud to admit it. "Only white male landowners and uneducated trailer park white trash who are so stupid they always vote against their own interests should have a vote. Goddamit."

America's lack of hate speech laws is only because the left has failed to introduce them as of yet. And voter suppression, Republicans just think you should have ID to vote, something already they do in Europe, that liberal paradise.

20-11-2014, 07:29 PM
(20-11-2014 07:21 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(20-11-2014 06:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  We don't have hate speech laws in the USA otherwise Fox News would've been off the air long ago. We do have hate crime and antidiscrimination laws in the event some bigot decides to act on their prejudices. The fact that Republicans are trying to suppress free-speech with voter suppression laws is not only well documented but they're proud to admit it. "Only white male landowners and uneducated trailer park white trash who are so stupid they always vote against their own interests should have a vote. Goddamit."

America's lack of hate speech laws is only because the left has failed to introduce them as of yet. And voter suppression, Republicans just think you should have ID to vote, something already they do in Europe, that liberal paradise.

Except they don't simply boil it down to that.. it has to be an ID to their needs. In some areas an NRA membership card counts as an ID.. but they don't allow Student IDs to count as legitimate IDs. They are opposed to freedom of press and Representative speech.. unless you agree to their principal that money=speech.. they are for that type of speech.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 4 users Like ClydeLee's post