Any Republican Atheists Here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2014, 08:33 PM
RE: Any Republican Atheists Here?
(20-11-2014 07:21 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(20-11-2014 06:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  We don't have hate speech laws in the USA otherwise Fox News would've been off the air long ago. We do have hate crime and antidiscrimination laws in the event some bigot decides to act on their prejudices. The fact that Republicans are trying to suppress free-speech with voter suppression laws is not only well documented but they're proud to admit it. "Only white male landowners and uneducated trailer park white trash who are so stupid they always vote against their own interests should have a vote. Goddamit."

America's lack of hate speech laws is only because the left has failed to introduce them as of yet. And voter suppression, Republicans just think you should have ID to vote, something already they do in Europe, that liberal paradise.

Lemme guess.You're like 17 yo.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2014, 09:27 PM
(20-11-2014 08:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-11-2014 07:21 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  America's lack of hate speech laws is only because the left has failed to introduce them as of yet. And voter suppression, Republicans just think you should have ID to vote, something already they do in Europe, that liberal paradise.

Lemme guess.You're like 17 yo.

Actually I am, and I used to be far-left. I like to think I have matured rather quickly.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
[+] 1 user Likes Res Publica's post
20-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Quote:In my case it's basically a shorthand for the principle that, as a general rule, less government is better than more government.

So, do you think that a modern, industrial state can be operated with the government as it existed in 1840? Because that is essentially what these so-called libertarians want.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
20-11-2014, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2014 10:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
(20-11-2014 07:21 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  And voter suppression, Republicans just think you should have ID to vote, something already they do in Europe, that liberal paradise.

Yabut, apparently my student ID where I'm fucking pouring tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars into the state for my edumacation don't mean dick. "You can't vote with that, silly boy. That ain't genuine ID." ... assholes.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-11-2014, 01:00 AM
(20-11-2014 10:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-11-2014 07:21 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  And voter suppression, Republicans just think you should have ID to vote, something already they do in Europe, that liberal paradise.

Yabut, apparently my student ID where I'm fucking pouring tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars into the state for my edumacation don't mean dick. "You can't vote with that, silly boy. That ain't genuine ID." ... assholes.

Silly Girlyman. Students aren't people.

Plus theres tha whole problem of bein'... edumacated.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
21-11-2014, 05:19 AM
I used to be a Republican, but the politicians and talking heads are just too damn embarrassing.

Their proud anti-intellectualism started to push me away and their desire to legislate morality finished the job. Especially once it became clear that they aren't actually the fiscally responsible party they claim to be.

Since neither party seems interested in reducing (or even maintaining) the size of the federal government, I might as well side with party that at least pays lip service to caring about social issues such as women's rights, LGBT rights, wealth disparity etc.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 5 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
21-11-2014, 07:16 AM
This is a good thread to start. No I am not a republican/libertarian. But this is still a good thread to have because it demonstrates that atheists are no more monochromatic than any other label. We are diverse in our classes, education levels, political views and economic views. "Atheist" is not a club, a religion, a loyalty oath, or moral code. It is simply the position of "off" on one claim.

Now having said that. If say Paul Ryan came out as an atheist, and had run against Obama, who is a Christian, there would still be no way I would vote for any economic view that has perpetuated our 30 year decline with "screw you I got mine". I would side with Nuns on the Bus before I would vote for sink or swim trickle up garbage.

But on the other end of the spectrum, I have also run into atheists who support Che and he was no one's hero in reality, he was an opportunist who preyed of populist ideas in order to get power himself. I also do not think you have to become Cuba and get rid of the private sector to do the right thing for workers.

I am not a fan of economic absolutes. I am for economic diversity because humans will always have different desires and goals. The thing people forget is that the entire world, friend and foe, open society and dictatorships and theocracies, every country invests in the global market. China allows for western businesses but the most benefit of that sale of cheap goods to the rest of the world, keeps their one party state in power. Saudi Arabia's royal family owns oil companies, and banks and invests in weapons and other global businesses. Gadaffi was a billionaire who owned stock in GE.

I am for the private sector, you would not rid 7 billion billion people of it no matter what. But I do think it is possible to be more like sane countries who do not have America's pay gap. I do think we can do better in education, and economic stability. And I always find it funny, be it some Islamic nut railing against our open market or a atheist Che support wanting to end the private sector, but use the open market such as the internet and a computer made by the private sector.

I also hate the myth that all liberals are anti business. You can point to businesses that pay higher wages, and billionaires who agree that workers are not making enough. I am not anti-business, I am pro livable wages and anti monopoly.

If we know and can accept abuse of power in religion like a theocracy, and abuse of power in political party, then since everything humans do is run by humans, the only thing I am saying is that nothing, not even business deserves to get everything it wants all the time. My only problem with the private sector in it's current climate, is that far too many business owners, not as a conspiracy, but a meme that has spread, far too many are isolated from the actual harm their voting habits have done.

There is always an evolutionary element of pattern seeking in grouping. Left and right, rich and poor, friend and foe. Humans far to much circle the wagons with like minded people, and life is more complex than projecting our own solutions on everyone else. I treat economics no differently. We live in a messy reality in a diverse species, so the best we can do is allow for differences, but make sure that no matter who is on top, that that top never gets so lopsided that it hurts others. I am not either or I am simply pro quality of life no matter where someone ends up and anti monopoly most importantly.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Brian37's post
21-11-2014, 07:49 AM
(20-11-2014 07:21 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(20-11-2014 06:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  We don't have hate speech laws in the USA otherwise Fox News would've been off the air long ago. We do have hate crime and antidiscrimination laws in the event some bigot decides to act on their prejudices. The fact that Republicans are trying to suppress free-speech with voter suppression laws is not only well documented but they're proud to admit it. "Only white male landowners and uneducated trailer park white trash who are so stupid they always vote against their own interests should have a vote. Goddamit."

America's lack of hate speech laws is only because the left has failed to introduce them as of yet. And voter suppression, Republicans just think you should have ID to vote, something already they do in Europe, that liberal paradise.

As people mentioned already, specific ID is required, and that's discriminatory against the poor, students, immigrants, blacks, and even the elderly at times. Even if Europe executed it exactly like we did, it doesn't change the fact of how discriminatory it is.

All you have is, "Yeah they MIGHT do it!" but they haven't as far as I'm aware, even with both houses in 2008. Empty fears, man.
[+] 2 users Like Kaepora Gaebora's post
21-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Republicans are not anti-intellectual, they are against higher education having a ideological agenda. They believe that students should be encouraged to think for themselves. The real anti-intellectuals are the leftists who censor college campuses. They are even trying to introduce "trigger warnings" that will forbid professors from teaching literature that might offend someone, and even if they can teach it, the hazardous materials would have to be labeled.

And most likely the student ID's don't count because they are missing critical information or something, not because of some ebul republicanazi conspiracy.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
21-11-2014, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2014 12:41 AM by Free Thought.)
(21-11-2014 08:20 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  Republicans are not anti-intellectual, they are against higher education having a ideological agenda. They believe that students should be encouraged to think for themselves. The real anti-intellectuals are the leftists who censor college campuses. They are even trying to introduce "trigger warnings" that will forbid professors from teaching literature that might offend someone, and even if they can teach it, the hazardous materials would have to be labeled.

And most likely the student ID's don't count because they are missing critical information or something, not because of some ebul republicanazi conspiracy.

[citation needed]

Also: why wouldn't the Yanks have student ID as an applicable form of ID? What could a student ID possibly be missing to make it non-valid? Down here my Student ID is perfectly valid for almost anything and all the information it has is my DOB, name and a picture: what else could those Yankies have to need for valid ID?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post