Any Republican Atheists Here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2014, 09:11 AM
RE: Any Republican Atheists Here?
Because it is issued by the educational institution, not the government.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Wait, so how exactly is requiring ID to vote a platform for discrimination?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post
21-11-2014, 09:20 AM
The back and forth that goes on really cracks me up sometimes. The idea that one side is more ethical or responsible than the other is ridiculous. They both try to mold their image to fit the expectations of those who are likely to vote for them, knowing that those expectations are completely unrealistic. Neither side will ever stand up and acknowledge the harsh realities of the way the world works, because they know the majority of their support comes from people who are more comfortable in the protective bubbles of their imagination.

They also both try to take measures to make it more difficult for groups likely to oppose them to vote.

'Murican Canadian
21-11-2014, 09:23 AM
Been a repub for all of my voting life. Switched my registration a few years back to independent because I feel like I'm more in tune with the Libertarian party these days. Most of the people I've worked for were small business, ingenuitive, entrepreneuring republicans and for the most part, they always seemed quite generous to a guy trying to work hard and get ahead in life. However, most of my friends have been democrats. I don't know why? Had many political convos with these friends but their ideas always seemed a bit impractical to a working stiff like me. So I guess I'm a political mullet, business in the front and party in the back.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Grassy Knoll's post
21-11-2014, 09:27 AM
(21-11-2014 09:19 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Wait, so how exactly is requiring ID to vote a platform for discrimination?

Because the majority of those who don't have those ID's, whether they have a legal right to vote or not, are minorities and the poor, and requiring government ID is not likely to reduce voter fraud. So, though the idea is not necessarily wrong in and of itself, the effect of enforcing that idea would be considered discriminatory since it would be more likely to subtract from the Democratic pool of voters than from the Republican pool of voters. Theoretically.

'Murican Canadian
21-11-2014, 10:12 AM
I am moderate and a registered independent. My conservative friends call me liberal and my liberal friends call me conservative. My views are fairly subject dependent and all over the place.
[+] 3 users Like wazzel's post
21-11-2014, 10:15 AM
RationalPoet.........The only thing I can call myself "conservative" on is that I do value the private sector. My problem is the climate of mindset in that they think they know what is best for everyone and that the pay gap is ok and that the private sector can never do anything wrong. But I am not against the private sector, just the current way it is acting right now.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-11-2014, 10:18 AM
(21-11-2014 09:27 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(21-11-2014 09:19 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Wait, so how exactly is requiring ID to vote a platform for discrimination?

Because the majority of those who don't have those ID's, whether they have a legal right to vote or not, are minorities and the poor, and requiring government ID is not likely to reduce voter fraud. So, though the idea is not necessarily wrong in and of itself, the effect of enforcing that idea would be considered discriminatory since it would be more likely to subtract from the Democratic pool of voters than from the Republican pool of voters. Theoretically.

Don't you need a form of ID to get a bank account over there? I'd say it seems like it only excludes welfare leeches, but I assume you need a bank account and further proof of identity to even be a welfare leech?

Maybe national insurance number and birth certificate and not considered valid ID for voting then? In that case it seems like a problem if you need to have a driving license or a passport, if not though then I am not sure what the problem would be. I would be opposed to Picture ID being required for voter registration.

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
21-11-2014, 10:29 AM
(21-11-2014 09:27 AM)yakherder Wrote:  

IMO requiring a photo ID for voting is hardly a burden considering all the everyday things that require an ID. Simple stuff like cashing a check or buying a beer. IIRC you also need some sort of picture ID to receive government assistance. The cost of a state issues photo ID is cheap and, again IIRC, a low income person or elderly can apply to have the fee waved.
21-11-2014, 10:32 AM
(21-11-2014 10:29 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(21-11-2014 09:27 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Because the majority of those who don't have those ID's, whether they have a legal right to vote or not, are minorities and the poor, and requiring government ID is not likely to reduce voter fraud. So, though the idea is not necessarily wrong in and of itself, the effect of enforcing that idea would be considered discriminatory since it would be more likely to subtract from the Democratic pool of voters than from the Republican pool of voters. Theoretically.

IMO requiring a photo ID for voting is hardly a burden considering all the everyday things that require an ID. Simple stuff like cashing a check or buying a beer. IIRC you also need some sort of picture ID to receive government assistance. The cost of a state issues photo ID is cheap and, again IIRC, a low income person or elderly can apply to have the fee waved.

I'm not sure about in America, but here we have special IDs made especially for use for buying alcohol and they are super cheap. Nothing really special about them except they'll email you coupons to nightclubs endlessly for years... Although at £5.25 it was a bargain ID. :Y

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.