Any Space Sim fans here? Need your help!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2012, 08:37 PM
RE: Any Space Sim fans here? Need your help!!
(23-12-2012 02:57 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  I fail to see how this is a sim per say. A sim implies you are SIMULATING a real world situation.
I think it's a "sim" in the sense that it is first person and you, the player, are interacting with elements in the ships cockpit to make it work. it's more simulation in nature than say a third person action/shooter.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Endless Space is supposedly pretty good too. My cousin plays it a lot and until recently I was not able to play it.

Under Repair.
27-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Distant Worlds is where it's at.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
12-03-2013, 06:27 PM
EVE is an RPG. Yes, it's MMO, but at it's heart is the character development aspect which drives the entire game. Without that, it might be a space "sim". However, in EVE, piloting takes a back seat to MMORPG style combat mechanics (die rolls a la AD&D). So, no, this is not comparable to a space flight sim like Descent Freespace. That's basically a combat flight simulator in space.

Minecraft servers don't support very large populations, do they? The game was designed for everyone to set up their own servers. The most people I've seen on a server is a few dozen. Is there a performance cap for population levels with it? In any case, it doesn't present itself as a game specifically designed for MMO use, does it? I know of no servers with persistently large populations.

Diablo 2 was never really a large, open world. It was a game world chopped up into sections (outside areas/instanced dungeons). Also, and more importantly, none of it was persistent. Once the dungeons were cleared, you had to start the server over again to respawn everything. This persists today even with Diablo 3. Thus, not MMO in the traditional sense where there is a persistent world with an ever fluctuating population of players ranging from the hundreds to thousands. They also tend to feature enemy spawn points since the servers cannot ever be permanently "cleared".

WoW and its ilk are a good representation of the traditional sense of the term MMO. You can traverse at least an entire continent in one shot without loading screens. Skyrim, while having a similarly open world with instances and such, is not an MMO, but you all knew that.

Now that I've got all that off my chest, I'm off to start a thread seeking fellow players of Endless Space.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum