Any Suggestions For Parenting Books?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Any Suggestions For Parenting Books?
I have been doing a lot of "soul searching" the last few weeks. I realize I happened to come on here not only to get to know other people who think similar as I do, but also for my son.

I've been reading and watching too many hate-filled posts and videos regarding religious people and how they "hate" atheists. It concerns me that I never thought about what I would do to raise my child a free thinker. (I've only recently started using that in my vocabulary.) The other day, he asked what church was. I told him that is where some people go to be with others who believe as they do.

I don't want my son to be hated. I don't want him to feel like he doesn't belong. Children are so honest and can be so mean. I don't want him alienated from his peers. I see more people open about their religious faiths than I do people who are open about their not believing in a God. They have a "back up" with so many people to support them in raising their child in the faith they choose. I don't feel that I have that.

I'm looking to get some suggestions on books or articles regarding raising children without faith. I think I'm doing an amazing job so far because he is more polite and courteous than a lot of children I see... (I'm not just being biased because he's my son.) He loves to ask questions; I just want to be able to answer them more confidently.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2013, 05:30 AM
RE: Any Suggestions For Parenting Books?
I am soooo the wrong person to be responding to your request but if nothing else, by replying, I'm bumping it up so that others might respond.

I'll just say, I am in awe of mothers who have managed to raise their children as you are doing.

Here is someone who is, I think, awesome (in the correct sense of the word) and has described some of the tactics she uses to help her child in just the areas that you describe.

http://www.atheist-experience.com/people/jen_peeples/

I had a look for the AtheistExperience episodes where she talks about it but gave up.

Maybe you can contact her directly
http://twtrland.com/profile/RationalJen

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-02-2013, 11:07 AM
You might enjoy Ishmael by Daniel Quinn - not for instructions, just for perspective and maybe confidence.

Probably, the kid is already aware of the social ambiance of his school, but you can caution him against blurting out anything anti-religious. Much depends on the teachers, whom you can meet and assess. And you can seek out like-minded parents in your neighbourhood for a support group; perhaps arrange play-dates?

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
13-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Thanks. I'm all about not rubbing beliefs in people's faces or saying they're wrong. I just want my son to be able to defend himself in a respectable manner.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
13-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Others may not be as polite or respectful. Teach him fair debating tactics, to be sure; then teach him karate - to be sure.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
13-02-2013, 08:34 PM
(13-02-2013 05:47 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Others may not be as polite or respectful. Teach him fair debating tactics, to be sure; then teach him karate - to be sure.

That's not a bad idea...

14-02-2013, 09:49 AM
I realize this isn't precisely what you're looking for - it's not a parenting book - but "The Magic of Reality" is a wonderful book which encourages free-thinking, and teaches kids how to be reasonable and skeptical. It may help your child understand what it means to be skeptical, which can help him to defend himself if the need arises. It's very educational, to boot. It's aimed at kids and young adults, but even I thoroughly enjoyed it.

[Image: the_magic_of_reality_cover.jpeg?w=227]

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
14-02-2013, 02:05 PM
(14-02-2013 09:49 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I realize this isn't precisely what you're looking for - it's not a parenting book - but "The Magic of Reality" is a wonderful book which encourages free-thinking, and teaches kids how to be reasonable and skeptical. It may help your child understand what it means to be skeptical, which can help him to defend himself if the need arises. It's very educational, to boot. It's aimed at kids and young adults, but even I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I actually added that to my "wish list" from my Kindle. I downloaded the sample of it too.

[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
14-02-2013, 02:41 PM
(14-02-2013 02:05 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 09:49 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I realize this isn't precisely what you're looking for - it's not a parenting book - but "The Magic of Reality" is a wonderful book which encourages free-thinking, and teaches kids how to be reasonable and skeptical. It may help your child understand what it means to be skeptical, which can help him to defend himself if the need arises. It's very educational, to boot. It's aimed at kids and young adults, but even I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I actually added that to my "wish list" from my Kindle. I downloaded the sample of it too.
Even I learned things I didn't know from it. Smile When he explained how orbit works, I was wowed. lol

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-02-2013, 01:11 AM
Dale McGowan has several books on raising children without belief and raising freethinkers. His website is http://www.parentingbeyondbelief.com

Another good book is Parent Effectiveness Training. It isn't specifically about raising children without belief, but it is advice from a secular perspective.

There are also many helpful resources on secular humanist websites as well. I'll try to find some links to decent articles and post them here later.
[+] 1 user Likes PurpleChimp's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What Books/Comics/Magazines Have You Bought Lately? MegaHentai 51 888 11-07-2014 02:45 PM
Last Post: MegaHentai
  Some books for atheists =jesse= 9 152 27-06-2014 11:06 PM
Last Post: bobsyeruncle
  Funny, amusing summer books???? dancefortwo 6 108 25-06-2014 06:40 AM
Last Post: DavidQuinn
Rainbow "The 100 Best Books of All Time" Have you read any? Thoughts? PoolBoyG 24 432 06-06-2014 09:22 PM
Last Post: WindyCityJazz
  my books out lol kunoxian drive 84 2,583 23-05-2014 06:29 PM
Last Post: kunoxian drive
  Books on Catholicism & Islam cascoatle 7 172 22-04-2014 11:58 PM
Last Post: kim
  Ghostexorcist, what are your favorite books? Raptor Jesus 6 260 07-02-2014 05:31 PM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid