Any Texas Hurricane Parties?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2017, 12:03 PM
RE: Any Texas Hurricane Parties?
(27-08-2017 11:51 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(27-08-2017 10:58 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Dog in hurricane area heading to higher ground with a whole bag of dog food...he's fine and was only wandering a short while.

Fine? I'd say that dog is smarter than most of the people in the area. I realize that leaving is easier said than done, and I know it's very difficult to take off and just wait for a storm to come and destroy everything you own. But, at the point when they told people who were staying to write their names and social security numbers on their arms in indelible ink so it's easier to identify them, at that point you have to seriously think through the reasons for not getting the fuck out of there.

Hopefully the worst is over, but everything I read says the flood waters are going to keep coming. Water is already waist deep in Houston and it it sounds like it's going to continue to rise. That's really amazing. I sincerely hope that the rain stops soon and the water can start to recede back into the Gulf.

For those of you who are in that path of that thing and couldn't get far enough away, I wish you the best of luck and hope you and yours are all ok .

There are people who choose to stay in these situations and there are people who don't have a choice...they don't have money or a place to go.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
27-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Right. Similar to Katrina, there are people who just didn't have options. I realize that. Sorry if I came off as insensitive to people going through a world of shit right now. Was not my intention.

I know "government" is a dirty word in much of the south, but the government should have gotten out in front of this and forced an evacuation and put people up in hotels and motels at tax payer cost. States have fairly broad powers during a state of emergency and Texas could have forced a more than reasonable occupancy rate. There are also motels and hotels that are pet friendly so you could allow people who were not willing to leave their pets behind to bring them with them (and count me in that category - if my dogs can't go then I can't go). Whatever the cost of that would be, it's bound to be lower than the cost - and risk - of having to rescue all those people. School and other buses could be used to ferry people out who didn't have transportation. i was actually surprised nothing like that happened prior to the storm.

The way it usually seems to work is they set up shelters in schools and what not, and people do not want to go and lose all semblance of self and privacy while they are warehoused in a gymnasium. And, that's before you factor in the health and safety issues. So, people don't go until they have absolutely no choice. It's a cheaper solution up front, but when all those people who didn't leave get trapped by the storm, ala Katrina, it ends up being far more costly both in dollar and human lives. And political capital. But, it's politically unpopular to do this stuff in advance so it doesn't happen. Hopefully this is the storm that changes how we approach these things because as the climate continues to warm we're going to be dealing with a whole lot more of these things.

and, yes, I did just acknowledge global warming here. Brian probably just wet himself.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
27-08-2017, 01:05 PM
(27-08-2017 12:45 PM)BnW Wrote:  There are also motels and hotels that are pet friendly so you could allow people who were not willing to leave their pets behind to bring them with them (and count me in that category - if my dogs can't go then I can't go). Whatever the cost of that would be, it's bound to be lower than the cost - and risk - of having to rescue all those people.

I wouldn't leave mine either (this is fire country) - a Great Dane, a German Shepherd and two small dogs probably won't be welcome in one Hotel room anywhere either. Probably I'd have to burn with them.... well, we got the pond to duck into. Getting the Dane to get into the water is a whole other thing though...

I have been watching the flooding - what a nightmare! But most people are able to take their pets with them, I saw dogs being carried and carriers with cats and so on.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Letting people take pets was one of the lessons learned from Katrina. During that story, the authorities told people to leave their cats and dogs and people refused, so they stayed. And then they all had to be rescued after. I have 2 dogs, both rescues, and they are part of my family. If they have to stay, then I have to stay. I totally get that.

I just saw they are asking for anyone with a boat that is able to navigate the waters to come to Houston and the surrounding areas and help evacuate people to safety. What a fucking horror show. I can't believe they made leaving optional.

[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
27-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Have some family getting water in houses in Houston, which sucks. Not "dangerous" but super pain in the ass, don't know how much worse it will get. Definitely feel sorry for people with few resources, it always seems to be the poor looking houses that are under water. I'm near Beaumont, northeast of Houston, high water but nothing disturbing, depending on how much is still coming. Day off from work tomorrow, so tiny silver lining.

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
27-08-2017, 01:17 PM
(27-08-2017 12:45 PM)BnW Wrote:  ...but the government should have gotten out in front of this and forced an evacuation and put people up in hotels and motels at tax payer cost. States have fairly broad powers during a state of emergency and Texas could have forced a more than reasonable occupancy rate. There are also motels and hotels that are pet friendly so you could allow people who were not willing to leave their pets behind to bring them with them (and count me in that category - if my dogs can't go then I can't go). Whatever the cost of that would be, it's bound to be lower than the cost - and risk - of having to rescue all those people. School and other buses could be used to ferry people out who didn't have transportation. i was actually surprised nothing like that happened prior to the storm.

That's an interesting idea but that would have been asking government to be waaaaaaay out in front like planned out years in advance. It seems, anyway.

27-08-2017, 01:31 PM
I'm not convinced it couldn't be done quickly with an executive order. You declare an emergency, notify hotel chains that it is happening and you will offer whatever the rate is, and go from there. The logistics maybe take more time, though. I suppose that has to be planned.

There will be more storms. Planning should start the day after they are done dealing with this one. It won't, but it should.

[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
27-08-2017, 02:09 PM
We drove from SC to Dallas to meet my first grandchild...arrived the Friday before Katrina hit. My husband was excited about the baby and tired from trip and wasn't keeping up with his usual 'all hurricane, all the time' vigil. I was checking it out and telling him I thought we should turn around and go home. Sunday morning I was awake and watching the weather and news when he suddenly realized (came of the new baby fog) that things were going to get ugly. We packed our stuff. Checked out of the hotel and hit I-20.

It was awful to see. The roads heading northward in Louisiana and Mississippi were packed...onramps to get onto those roads were often backed up a couple miles or more...sometimes beyond the previous ramp.

The farther we went, the more likely we would not find gas and when we did find some the price was double what it had been two days before. ATMs were out of cash. Restaurants and convenience stores were running out of food. We were between Birmingham and Atlanta before we saw a reduction in the number of cars heading north.

The rest areas were so sad. People had crammed what they could into their vehicles and were heading 'away', just away. Some that we spoke with didn't have a place to go. Nearly all the people we saw at the rest areas had pets with them. One man had his elderly mother, two really large German Shepherds, and what they could manage to fit of their belongings into a work-type van that had seen better days.

One thing I noticed when living in SC was that they waited so long to open up evacuation routes. If they helped people who can and will leave early then you open the roads up for those who can't or won't get out till later.

I agree with the hotel rates being capped. I told my husband when we checked out in two days instead of a week that I knew whoever got our room was going to pay a lot more for it...because the hotel knew they could get it.

You would think there would be a plan...it's not as though hurricanes are a new thing.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
27-08-2017, 02:24 PM
(27-08-2017 06:27 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I really don't care if people think I have been a dick in this thread. But that has absolutely nothing in wanting even those I argue with, wanting them to make it through. Having a problem with someone's logic does not make me a heartless person.

My biggest problem with this event is the same far right nut cases like Fartwell and Robertnuts were using Katrina as emotional blackmail I want Texans to get the help they need, but i also want their conservatives to remember this the next time a blue city/state/local has this happen.

I want Texans to get help, not because I agree with their religious dogmatism or economics, but because if you simply leave your fellow human to rot, that hurts the collective economy. So if your location was effected, remember this can happen to anyone and if you don't want the criticism then don't use events like this to blame liberals either.

I don't entirely disagree with the sentiment that is driving you to say these things. However I'd like to point out, last August I was in a red cross refugee camp with a forest fire that took 33,000 acres here in California threatening my home. Some of my more dumb fuck redneck neighbors refused to leave.

The one thing I didn't do was make fun of them when there was a fucking forest fire just 6 miles from their home. I think that's what people are trying to point out to you.....

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
27-08-2017, 02:25 PM
After 9/11 they closed down ingress and egress around New York city and a lot of people got trapped in the shore areas of Long Island. There was just no way to leave. So, what did the local hotels do? They jacked up the rates.

When it was all over and things returned to some semblance of normalcy, the New York Attorney General went after those hotels for price gauging. And, they made sure to publicize their names so the public could make their own decisions about doing business with them. Several of them settled just to stay out of the press.

One thing about tragedies like this: it is guaranteed to bring out the best in some people and the worst in others.

[+] 3 users Like BnW's post