Any Texas Hurricane Parties?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2017, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2017 02:36 PM by JesseB.)
RE: Any Texas Hurricane Parties?
(27-08-2017 01:10 PM)BnW Wrote:  Letting people take pets was one of the lessons learned from Katrina. During that story, the authorities told people to leave their cats and dogs and people refused, so they stayed. And then they all had to be rescued after. I have 2 dogs, both rescues, and they are part of my family. If they have to stay, then I have to stay. I totally get that.

I just saw they are asking for anyone with a boat that is able to navigate the waters to come to Houston and the surrounding areas and help evacuate people to safety. What a fucking horror show. I can't believe they made leaving optional.

I would never abandon my cat or my dog and anyone who tries to tell me I should can go fuck themselves with barbed wire.

I owe them my life. I am responsible to make their lives the best I can.I could never abandon them. I remember being told when I was little "A pet is a responsibility," I take my responsibilities very serious, but to me they aren't pets. They are my family, I will not abandon them.

Edit^ Also given the forest fire we had here last year I learned a few things, forced evacuations aren't easy to do apparently. Even when there's a damn fucking good reason to have one. And even if they tell you it's a mandatory evacuation some people will not leave. To me a home is a place I sleep, nothing more. I have no history no ties to any one place, no memories worth remembering. But many people especially older ones are very attached to where they live and they will become irrational in crisis's like these. They will wait until it's too late to leave. I heard people say "When I see fire I'll go" when you see fire you're dead, you can't fucking outrun a forest fire. But that's how it is.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
27-08-2017, 02:38 PM
The pictures I am seeing are just horrible. Sad

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
27-08-2017, 02:41 PM
During one of the storms that hit NJ, maybe Sandy but I can't remember exactly, Governor Christie, in one of his few lucid moments as governor, had a mandatory evacuation of all the communities on Long Beach Island, which is a long island (with a lot of beach, obviously) off the coast of NJ. He told residents that everyone was to leave and that the authorities were going to assume that everyone followed that order, and that if you did not, he was not going to authorize risking the lives of emergency service people to get you out.

And still people stayed. And, of course, when the calls for help came and came and came, Christie was forced to relent and sent help.

People are morons.

And, before someone tells me that "not everyone can afford to leave", I can tell you that there are no poor people living on LBI. The cost of housing alone makes that an impossibility.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
27-08-2017, 03:19 PM
(27-08-2017 01:31 PM)BnW Wrote:  I'm not convinced it couldn't be done quickly with an executive order. You declare an emergency, notify hotel chains that it is happening and you will offer whatever the rate is, and go from there. The logistics maybe take more time, though. I suppose that has to be planned.

There will be more storms. Planning should start the day after they are done dealing with this one. It won't, but it should.

The really shitty part of it is that Gov. Abbott declared a pre-emptive state of emergency before the storm struck. At that point the local gov'ts had the authority to issue evac orders. And I think we all understand the economic impact evacuation has on the poor, as you say we as a state could have set up an emergency account to cover or offset the expenses to the poor and indigent. We have $9.7 Billion in the state's so-called Rainy-day Fund. Here it is, a historically rainy day, and not one penny was set aside in advance?

This is short-sightedness on what seems to be a catastrophic scale.

As for an update here: I'm 30 miles NW of Austin, and while rain has been steady all day, as of 4:00 a.m. today where I live had received only 1.5" inches of rain in the previous 24 hours. Given today's rain, I would guess that has grown to perhaps 3.5" or 4", but out here away from Austin we haven't seen but a couple of low-water crossings closed. The folks in Austin are having a harder time of it, and it will get worse due to the city's topography. I'm happy to say I'm lucky to be in a good place, on high ground with a 100' canyon providing drainage less than half-a-mile away.

I'm glad to hear you're safe, Jerry, and I wish I could do more than send my best hopes for your family and the other Houstonians who are at this stage bearing the brunt of the disaster. Stay safe, y'all, and remember -- turn around, don't drown. Never drive into floodwaters. Ever.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
27-08-2017, 03:44 PM
(27-08-2017 03:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(27-08-2017 01:31 PM)BnW Wrote:  I'm not convinced it couldn't be done quickly with an executive order. You declare an emergency, notify hotel chains that it is happening and you will offer whatever the rate is, and go from there. The logistics maybe take more time, though. I suppose that has to be planned.

There will be more storms. Planning should start the day after they are done dealing with this one. It won't, but it should.

The really shitty part of it is that Gov. Abbott declared a pre-emptive state of emergency before the storm struck. At that point the local gov'ts had the authority to issue evac orders. And I think we all understand the economic impact evacuation has on the poor, as you say we as a state could have set up an emergency account to cover or offset the expenses to the poor and indigent. We have $9.7 Billion in the state's so-called Rainy-day Fund. Here it is, a historically rainy day, and not one penny was set aside in advance?

As for an update here: I'm 30 miles NW of Austin, and while rain has been steady all day, as of 4:00 a.m. today where I live had received only 1.5" inches of rain in the previous 24 hours. Given today's rain, I would guess that has grown to perhaps 3.5" or 4", but out here away from Austin we haven't seen but a couple of low-water crossings closed. The folks in Austin are having a harder time of it, and it will get worse due to the city's topography. I'm happy to say I'm lucky to be in a good place, on high ground with a 100' canyon providing drainage less than half-a-mile away.

I'm glad to hear you're safe, Jerry, and I wish I could do more than send my best hopes for your family and the other Houstonians who are at this stage bearing the brunt of the disaster. Stay safe, y'all, and remember -- turn around, don't drown. Never drive into floodwaters. Ever.

Hey is Austin going to be ok? I haven't heard from my friend Cesar in a couple days and I'm worried about him. He lives in downtown Austin.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
27-08-2017, 04:34 PM
(27-08-2017 02:33 PM)JesseB Wrote:  But many people especially older ones are very attached to where they live and they will become irrational in crisis's like these. They will wait until it's too late to leave.

Not necessarily irrational. When you are old, death isn't near as scary, and uprooting is a nightmare. It all depends on how it balances out for the individual.

Priorities change with age. Thank dog, because running around every day, terrified that you might die that day, would be no way to live. Plus you don't have time or energy to replace anything lost. Plus, for old people, a sudden abrupt change in everything they have known can cause confusion. And dementia is the ultimate nightmare.

So, what may be irrational for you, may be a totally rational choice for them.

Just saying.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
27-08-2017, 04:37 PM
(27-08-2017 03:44 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(27-08-2017 03:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The really shitty part of it is that Gov. Abbott declared a pre-emptive state of emergency before the storm struck. At that point the local gov'ts had the authority to issue evac orders. And I think we all understand the economic impact evacuation has on the poor, as you say we as a state could have set up an emergency account to cover or offset the expenses to the poor and indigent. We have $9.7 Billion in the state's so-called Rainy-day Fund. Here it is, a historically rainy day, and not one penny was set aside in advance?

Hey is Austin going to be ok? I haven't heard from my friend Cesar in a couple days and I'm worried about him. He lives in downtown Austin.

They've got flash-flood warnings for Barton Creek and 360, and the Colorado River on the East Side. Austin is pretty flood-prone, but that depends on the neighborhood, too. Downtown can and does flood, but it's vary rare for it to involve more than inconvenience. I know there were power outages in the city from this storm, and perhaps more than I've heard of, so that could possibly explain his silence. As of now, there's no flooding reported in Austin proper -- it's mostly east-southeast of the city, and the latest news has the storm's center tracking away from the city back to the southeast, perhaps to go offshore again.
27-08-2017, 04:43 PM
(27-08-2017 04:37 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(27-08-2017 03:44 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Hey is Austin going to be ok? I haven't heard from my friend Cesar in a couple days and I'm worried about him. He lives in downtown Austin.

They've got flash-flood warnings for Barton Creek and 360, and the Colorado River on the East Side. Austin is pretty flood-prone, but that depends on the neighborhood, too. Downtown can and does flood, but it's vary rare for it to involve more than inconvenience. I know there were power outages in the city from this storm, and perhaps more than I've heard of, so that could possibly explain his silence. As of now, there's no flooding reported in Austin proper -- it's mostly east-southeast of the city, and the latest news has the storm's center tracking away from the city back to the southeast, perhaps to go offshore again.

Storms in Austin get bad, Huston usually get's it worse but they still get hit hard, I'm worried. I've seen cell phone towers taken out by tornado's in Austin. I hope he's safe. I hope you stay safe too.

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
27-08-2017, 04:46 PM
(27-08-2017 04:37 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  As of now, there's no flooding reported in Austin proper -- it's mostly east-southeast of the city, and the latest news has the storm's center tracking away from the city back to the southeast, perhaps to go offshore again.

That can be really bad but sitting on top of the area between Austin and Houston isn't a great thing either.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
27-08-2017, 04:47 PM
(27-08-2017 03:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I'm glad to hear you're safe, Jerry, and I wish I could do more than send my best hopes for your family and the other Houstonians who are at this stage bearing the brunt of the disaster. Stay safe, y'all, and remember -- turn around, don't drown. Never drive into floodwaters. Ever.

Hey thanks...got a daughter in Austin, I will send her to your place if the water reaches her third-floor apartment...

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post