Any Texas Hurricane Parties?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2017, 03:33 PM
RE: Any Texas Hurricane Parties?
Hey Charlie you come out of the hurricane okay?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2017, 06:51 PM
(30-08-2017 03:33 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Hey Charlie you come out of the hurricane okay?

Yes. The sun was shining and the rain has stopped. The streets are clear and we didn't flood. The local Walmart and Burger King are open for business. Our neighborhood survived without great damage. We have a good stock of Dinty Moore canned stewed and canned ravioli to last for a few days. Parts of Houston are still flooded, but other members of my family living in this area also seem to have come through unflooded and safe.

Despite reports of alligators invading parts of Texas as their habitats were flooded, we didn't get any here. I so wanted an alligator. So far, so good. Though we expect swarms of mosquitos soon. No sign of dreaded floating fire ant rafts.

With half a million cars reported damaged by flooding, it's going to be good here for car dealers. And carpet sales. Not so good for those people who can no longer drive their destroyed cars to work or to grocery stores.

Now is when we need organizational geniuses running our government, state and federal. We are in trouble.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
30-08-2017, 07:41 PM
I just walked over to my local Burger King and got a whopper. Cash only due to their credit card - debit card system being out of order due to the flood. This may be a problem for a lot of people. Even if you can get to the local grocery store, if you don't have cash, one might be out of luck buying food.

My local gas station down the block sells diesel. They usually do a grand business because the nearby local Produce Row businesses do a lot of resupplying to stores around here. But the pumps are out if diesel. It could be a problem for the local grocery stores that are able to open.

Life for many here may be getting crazy for a few weeks as all of this gets sorted out.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
30-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Friend of mine has a colleague who's trapped down there. He and his daughter are held up in a hotel that is ok but it's not reachable, or at least it wasn't. And, they are running out of food and no easy way to get more. He has some cans of tuna and crackers hidden in his room that he's hoarding because he has no idea how long this can go on. And, he said some of the other guests are armed (because you always need your guns with you - always!). He was telling my friend that he's a bit concerned about what is going to happen if they can't all start figuring out the food situation soon. The hotel is already rationing what they have.

It never occurred to me that just getting food for people was going to be that big an issue, but seems it is. Hopefully this issue gets resolved before it gets bad.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
30-08-2017, 08:36 PM
(30-08-2017 07:41 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  I just walked over to my local Burger King and got a whopper. Cash only due to their credit card - debit card system being out of order due to the flood. This may be a problem for a lot of people. Even if you can get to the local grocery store, if you don't have cash, one might be out of luck buying food.

My local gas station down the block sells diesel. They usually do a grand business because the nearby local Produce Row businesses do a lot of resupplying to stores around here. But the pumps are out if diesel. It could be a problem for the local grocery stores that are able to open.

Life for many here may be getting crazy for a few weeks as all of this gets sorted out.

We (DFW) didn't get the weather we were sort of expecting but now the gas stations are running out of gas.

It's a damn mess.

The ripple effect in action.

Glad to hear you came through relatively unscathed. I'm sorry you didn't get an alligator out of the deal.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat