Any Texas Hurricane Parties?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2017, 08:43 AM
RE: Any Texas Hurricane Parties?
(25-08-2017 08:03 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Bryan37, by chance are you on the outer banks or another of those areas where the floods tear down everything and the government steps in (FEMA) and takes care of people and rebuilds in the same spaces for them over....and over....and over...for free because people continue to choose to live in flood zones?

Not the point.

My points are.

1. First responders don't want you in the path, even if you survive, if you end up in danger, they will not be in a position to get to you suddenly.

2. The category of a storm isn't the majority killer, the flooding is. Even the one that hit NY a few years back everyone thought petered out still flooded dock areas and subways.

3. FEMA is not free, someone who asks for it is not charged no, but it comes out of the taxes we pay. It is still a budget funded by tax dollars. Just like public schools are not free. Kids and parents are not charged to attend, but tax payers pay for the buildings and the teachers and the upkeep.

There is no such thing as "free".

The problem with not addressing climate change is because the damage caused by not addressing it over decades is a cost to everyone long term. Getting off fossil fuels wont happen over night, but the quicker and sooner we do, that will help. Better building codes as well, using tougher materials will save buildings and thus reduce payouts thus costing businesses and homeowners less in premiums.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2017, 08:44 AM
I remember being in Florida for a couple hurricanes.
People would all take shelter in a big highway department garage type building and play bingo and cards the whole time.
It was pretty cool.
It appealed to my appetite for destruction.
I'm with George Carlin on this one. I love pandemonium. When it's not me.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
25-08-2017, 08:52 AM
(25-08-2017 08:44 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  I remember being in Florida for a couple hurricanes.
People would all take shelter in a big highway department garage type building and play bingo and cards the whole time.
It was pretty cool.

Might have been "cool" from where you were sitting, but that is mere selection bias and sample rate error. Storms that big don't simply affect one block.

Mathew hit SC/NC, I was lucky, worst my neighborhood got was broken tree limbs. But in NC in Lumberton and Whiteville which are far away from me, got severe damage from flooding. Parts of Myrtle Beach and Horry County also severely damaged. Yea might have been "cool" for you, but Hurricanes are huge storms and while you got lucky, others did not.

Tornado chasers get a thrill out of chasing them too, but tornados are also killers and destroy property. Maybe instead of thinking, "I had fun" look at these events as a point of view, because other people don't have fun and do get hurt and do have their property damaged.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
25-08-2017, 09:06 AM
(25-08-2017 08:52 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 08:44 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  I remember being in Florida for a couple hurricanes.
It was pretty cool.

Might have been "cool" from where you were sitting, but that is mere selection bias and sample rate error. Storms that big don't simply affect one block.

Mathew hit SC/NC, I was lucky, worst my neighborhood got was broken tree limbs. But in NC in Lumberton and Whiteville which are far away from me, got severe damage from flooding. Parts of Myrtle Beach and Horry County also severely damaged. Yea might have been "cool" for you, but Hurricanes are huge storms and while you got lucky, others did not.

Tornado chasers get a thrill out of chasing them too, but tornados are also killers and destroy property. Maybe instead of thinking, "I had fun" look at these events as a point of view, because other people don't have fun and do get hurt and do have their property damaged.

Yeah I don't live there.
Biggest onslaught we see is the onslaught of stupidity that vexes the entire planet.
I feel for you and others who live in the path of such disasters. Is that going to improve the situation?
Might I suggest moving?
I'm not trying to be a wise ass at all but it seems slightly selfish to watch the family farm get swept away several times and then continue to insist on others sympathies.
You have my sympathies but I fail to see how that changes anything and fail to see how anybody effected would care one way or the other.
This should open a can of worms.
My job here is done.

25-08-2017, 09:16 AM
(25-08-2017 09:06 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 08:52 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Might have been "cool" from where you were sitting, but that is mere selection bias and sample rate error. Storms that big don't simply affect one block.

Yeah I don't live there.
Biggest onslaught we see is the onslaught of stupidity that vexes the entire planet.
I feel for you and others who live in the path of such disasters. Is that going to improve the situation?
Might I suggest moving?
I'm not trying to be a wise ass at all but it seems slightly selfish to watch the family farm get swept away several times and then continue to insist on others sympathies.
You have my sympathies but I fail to see how that changes anything and fail to see how anybody effected would care one way or the other.
My job here is done.

Excuse me? Um no, sorry "moving" is ridiculous because not everyone is a millionaire or billionaire to afford that. FYI every part of the world has it's own dangers. Oklahoma tornados, California, earthquakes, mudslides and wild fires. North east, midwest north, snowstorms. Summer heat alone kills hundreds nationwide mostly young and elderly.

"Just move" is an over simplification when you are dealing with a bulk population of mostly working class and working poor. And if everyone moves, how will the wealthy make money since they can afford to rebuild? I don't think you thought this out.

The planet has and will always have disasters so you cant simply "move" in every single case. You can however look to improve survival, and more durable materials that reduce harm.

25-08-2017, 09:26 AM
(25-08-2017 09:16 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 09:06 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Yeah I don't live there.
Might I suggest moving?
My job here is done.

Excuse me? Um no, sorry "moving" is ridiculous because not everyone is a millionaire or billionaire to afford that. FYI every part of the world has it's own dangers. Oklahoma tornados, California, earthquakes, mudslides and wild fires. North east, midwest north, snowstorms. Summer heat alone kills hundreds nationwide mostly young and elderly.

"Just move" is an over simplification when you are dealing with a bulk population of mostly working class and working poor. And if everyone moves, how will the wealthy make money since they can afford to rebuild? I don't think you thought this out.

The planet has and will always have disasters so you cant simply "move" in every single case. You can however look to improve survival, and more durable materials that reduce harm.

Oh my goodness.
The power of your logic has overwhelmed me.
I will cry salty tears for you.
Are you happy?
Stay, leave whatever you want to do.
But it doesn't do anything to insist on sympathy.
A wiser fellow than me said "sometimes your the windsheild, sometimes your the bug"
I can live with that.

[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
25-08-2017, 09:58 AM
(25-08-2017 09:26 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 09:16 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Excuse me? Um no, sorry "moving" is ridiculous because not everyone is a millionaire or billionaire to afford that. FYI every part of the world has it's own dangers. Oklahoma tornados, California, earthquakes, mudslides and wild fires. North east, midwest north, snowstorms. Summer heat alone kills hundreds nationwide mostly young and elderly.

Oh my goodness.
Are you happy?
A wiser fellow than me said "sometimes your the windsheild, sometimes your the bug"
I can live with that.

HOLY SHIT, how damned lucky I am to be talking to Donald Trump.

First off asshole, nobody is asking you to worry about me. But it still is the same fucking planet all 7 billion of us live on. Now yea, I care, because I live on the same planet. Excuse the fuck out of me for caring about my only home.

Your logic sucks asshole and that is all I am addressing.

Nobody is asking for your sympathy idiot. But, you should care about yourself, your family and their future. If you think it is as simple as you want to make it, you are a fucking idiot.

Our planet is connected, it is a globe, the things you ignore long term can come back and bite even your own long term. That is the point I am making dumbass. You have the sample rate of a drunk driver, "I made it home this time so I can keep doing it forever and nothing will ever go wrong."

I sincerely hope you never get displaced by a disaster. I don't say that because I feel it is my duty to pay your personal bills moron. I say that because the more stable more people are, the less potential it has to hurt our economy. G

It's not effecting you so who gives a fuck, is that it? Fine, think like a moron. But that kind of narcissism long term will bite you in the ass eventually.

Glad you don't control the nuclear codes, "Meh, I'm not aiming them at me and it isn't like anyone would fire back, and who gives a shit about mutual destruction."

The damage a hurricane causes will effect your wallet, even if you don't live in a hurricane prone state. An earthquake will effect your wallet even if you don't live in California. Now you seriously expect everyone in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas to "move". Ok, fine, you go door to door and do that and see how far you get.

Now if your attitude is "fuck you I got mine" fine, then nobody in Texas should get any help after Harvey. Me, I am not that selfish or narcissistic to say their lives don't matter because I am not paying their bills. I DON'T mind my tax dollars going out of state and helping people I don't know, because again, the more stable our population is, the less likely it is to effect our economy and cost us more long term.

This is not about you personally, this is about stability and how our tax dollars keep and create that stability. Just GROW THE FUCK UP.

25-08-2017, 10:11 AM
To paraphrase another SNL bit -

"Brian, you ignorant cunt!!"

This thread is about Hurricane Parties.

These are held by fatalistic people who decide WILLINGLY to stay in the path of the storm and ride it out....

It has nothing to do with "45", FEMA, the NRA or Vogon poetry appreciation couches...

So calm the fuck down.

There's plenty of shit for you to rant about elsewhere.

Offtopic

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 7 users Like onlinebiker's post
25-08-2017, 10:16 AM
(25-08-2017 09:58 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 09:26 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Oh my goodness.
Are you happy?
I can live with that.

First off asshole, nobody is asking you to worry about me. But it still is the same fucking planet all 7 billion of us live on. Now yea, I care, because I live on the same planet. Excuse the fuck out of me for caring about my only home.

Yes you are. That is the point.
I posted something and you came back and immediately started waging your fucking finger at me about how I should have more sympathy for the less fortunate.
I do care about other people. I don't care about self righteous finger wagging assholes who are devoted to making mountains out of fucking mole hills and dragging everything down into a mire of bullshit finger pointing and recrimination.
You don't like what I said get the fuck over it asshole. Live on the planet with 7 billion other people a percentage of which find you to be a pain in the ass.
Get the fuck over your self and stop fucking preaching at people.

[+] 2 users Like BikerDude's post
25-08-2017, 10:30 AM
(25-08-2017 08:43 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 08:03 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Bryan37, by chance are you on the outer banks or another of those areas where the floods tear down everything and the government steps in (FEMA) and takes care of people and rebuilds in the same spaces for them over....and over....and over...for free because people continue to choose to live in flood zones?

Not the point.

My points are.

1. First responders don't want you in the path, even if you survive, if you end up in danger, they will not be in a position to get to you suddenly.

2. The category of a storm isn't the majority killer, the flooding is. Even the one that hit NY a few years back everyone thought petered out still flooded dock areas and subways.

3. FEMA is not free, someone who asks for it is not charged no, but it comes out of the taxes we pay. It is still a budget funded by tax dollars. Just like public schools are not free. Kids and parents are not charged to attend, but tax payers pay for the buildings and the teachers and the upkeep.

There is no such thing as "free".

The problem with not addressing climate change is because the damage caused by not addressing it over decades is a cost to everyone long term. Getting off fossil fuels wont happen over night, but the quicker and sooner we do, that will help. Better building codes as well, using tougher materials will save buildings and thus reduce payouts thus costing businesses and homeowners less in premiums.

Ah, but you brought up the point with this statement:
"FYI I do live on the coast of NC and this size storm also has the potential to affect me. And the last one we had here did destroy thousands of homes in SC/NC and caused lots of flooding people are still trying to recover from. So please do not tell me I have no right to comment about the only home I live on. I live on this planet too."

Those were your words. Thus making it relevant to ask if your home is in one of the areas on the NC coast that FEMA rebuilds over and over and over after storms because people insist on building/rebuilding in areas where they know it's going to flood, over and over and... Maybe I missed a post since then, but I don't see where you answered the question, you know, the one you made relevant by bringing up where you are....

Because if you ARE, then (believe it or not) you are welcome to come inland to get out of the path, ride it out and be safe. I have a couple of spare bedrooms. All I'd ask is that you leave the politics at home.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post