Any Texas Hurricane Parties?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2017, 06:44 AM
RE: Any Texas Hurricane Parties?
(25-08-2017 06:53 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 03:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Actually thought about that after I hit 'post'...and landslides, sinkholes, earthquakes (had a small one on the other side of the city today), and those pesky mountains that can decide to erupt.

Goddamnit....we can't live anywhere that there isn't potential for a natural disaster.

Reminded me of this...

Quote:When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England.
But I just want to....... sing!!

Knights who say NI!Knights who say NI!

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2017, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2017 06:06 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(25-08-2017 03:18 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 01:25 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Read my first post, dingleberry. People do all sorts of things when the shit hits the fan.

And "elsewhere" is just the place to do it.

And the REASON nobody has tornado, wildfire or volcano parties -

You don't get a week's notice to get the caterer or a DJ lined up.......

Duh!

Facepalm

lol, we didn't need a goddamned DJ in the barracks for our tornado parties. We all kept beer and chips handy, we all had stereos that could drown out "Retreat" over the base loudspeakers, and we could have that shit revved up ten minutes after we heard that we were under tornado watch. Smile

Or as they taught us in Basic: "adapt, improvise, overcome."

(25-08-2017 06:32 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 06:22 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Always thought it was so ridiculous when the on the spot weather person stands there braving the elements. Usually yelling about how people for god's sake get outta here.

You're in Houston, right? Just talked to family there, looks like wind not too bad but gonna get a shitload of rain.

Yeah, Houston. It has been mildly rainy today, off and on. The wind is picking up a bit but isn't really bad, not hurricane force here. And yes, the idiots are on the Galveston beaches with their surfboards. The neighborhood squirrels are nowhere in sight, I have no idea where they are camping out in this weather.

Word here is that y'all are due for a shitload of rain, up to 48". Is that panning out or is it media hype?

Whichever it is, stay safe.
26-08-2017, 06:01 PM
(25-08-2017 04:07 PM)Anjele Wrote:  [Image: IxfzL0L.jpg]

Consider this stolen, this shit's funny!
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
26-08-2017, 08:07 PM
I have an Ex- co worker I still talk to from when I lived in Austin Texas. Her home town is Huston, her current job is idk something to do with insurance claims during disasters. She's in Arizona right now I think working 10 hours a day 7 days a week and will continue working until all the people affected by the storm are sorted out. I talked to her last night, she sounded like she was having a rough time of it even though she was trying to stay strong. "Huston always takes a hit but come's back stronger than before" Followed by "I'm not confident at all"

Her family is there, I know she's scared. I just hope as many people as possible do the smart thing and get the fuck out of the way. Guns won't do much to stop a fucking hurricane.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
27-08-2017, 02:22 AM
(24-08-2017 02:11 PM)TSG Wrote:  Republican Party, Democratic Party....

Hurricane... Party? Consider

I think their politics would certainly take the world by storm.

Don't you mean shock the world?

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
27-08-2017, 03:57 AM
(26-08-2017 06:00 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 03:18 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And the REASON nobody has tornado, wildfire or volcano parties -

You don't get a week's notice to get the caterer or a DJ lined up.......

Duh!

Facepalm

lol, we didn't need a goddamned DJ in the barracks for our tornado parties. We all kept beer and chips handy, we all had stereos that could drown out "Retreat" over the base loudspeakers, and we could have that shit revved up ten minutes after we heard that we were under tornado watch. Smile

Or as they taught us in Basic: "adapt, improvise, overcome."

(25-08-2017 06:32 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Yeah, Houston. It has been mildly rainy today, off and on. The wind is picking up a bit but isn't really bad, not hurricane force here. And yes, the idiots are on the Galveston beaches with their surfboards. The neighborhood squirrels are nowhere in sight, I have no idea where they are camping out in this weather.

Word here is that y'all are due for a shitload of rain, up to 48". Is that panning out or is it media hype?

Whichever it is, stay safe.

Not much wind now. We had an impressive lightening storm and it has been raining steadily for the last 8 hours or so. I was expecting the electricity to go out but so far we still have that.

It is going to be a rough week for squirrels here. Though this afternoon the toads were out in full chorus.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
27-08-2017, 04:01 AM
(26-08-2017 08:07 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I have an Ex- co worker I still talk to from when I lived in Austin Texas. Her home town is Huston, her current job is idk something to do with insurance claims during disasters. She's in Arizona right now I think working 10 hours a day 7 days a week and will continue working until all the people affected by the storm are sorted out. I talked to her last night, she sounded like she was having a rough time of it even though she was trying to stay strong. "Huston always takes a hit but come's back stronger than before" Followed by "I'm not confident at all"

Her family is there, I know she's scared. I just hope as many people as possible do the smart thing and get the fuck out of the way. Guns won't do much to stop a fucking hurricane.

The biggest problem in these situations down here is the tornadoes spawned by such weather events. So far as I know, it's been quiet on that front so far down here.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
27-08-2017, 06:27 AM
I really don't care if people think I have been a dick in this thread. But that has absolutely nothing in wanting even those I argue with, wanting them to make it through. Having a problem with someone's logic does not make me a heartless person.

My biggest problem with this event is the same far right nut cases like Fartwell and Robertnuts were using Katrina as emotional blackmail I want Texans to get the help they need, but i also want their conservatives to remember this the next time a blue city/state/local has this happen.

I want Texans to get help, not because I agree with their religious dogmatism or economics, but because if you simply leave your fellow human to rot, that hurts the collective economy. So if your location was effected, remember this can happen to anyone and if you don't want the criticism then don't use events like this to blame liberals either.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2017, 06:44 AM
(25-08-2017 07:57 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 07:32 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Dude, this thread is about people in Texas in the path of the hurricane. Can you keep your politics out of it? Get over yourself.

Fuckin' narcissist. We have bigger things to worry about than your opinion. Take it somewhere else.

No, sorry politics has everything to do with OUR planet. OUR PLANET.

We don't own planets.

Yet.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
27-08-2017, 06:46 AM
(27-08-2017 06:44 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 07:57 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  No, sorry politics has everything to do with OUR planet. OUR PLANET.

We don't own planets.

Yet.

Bowing

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat