Any Truth to Passover/Exodus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2015, 10:13 AM
RE: Any Truth to Passover/Exodus?
I have Jewish friends who question the veracity of the Moses story.

It would be impossible to remove all evidence of the Jewish people from that area. The idea that a large group of people -- there were supposed to be thousands of them, could cross the desert and leave behind NOT one shred of evidence. For such an incredible story, there should be lots of evidence left behind.

There are people who claim oh they found a pot shard, and it's proof of the exodus. Again, thousands of people traveling across the desert and ONE pot shard?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-01-2015, 10:24 AM
(21-01-2015 10:13 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I have Jewish friends who question the veracity of the Moses story.

It would be impossible to remove all evidence of the Jewish people from that area. The idea that a large group of people -- there were supposed to be thousands of them, could cross the desert and leave behind NOT one shred of evidence. For such an incredible story, there should be lots of evidence left behind.

There are people who claim oh they found a pot shard, and it's proof of the exodus. Again, thousands of people traveling across the desert and ONE pot shard?

Exactly, or ANY shred of ANYTHING else in a desert environment which due to its dry climate preserved everything. It's just totally bogus as retold in the Babble.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-01-2015, 10:33 AM
(21-01-2015 09:11 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Am I wrong? Are there any contemporary histories written by the Egyptians or other groups to corroborate the story? Thought I'd put it to the history buffs here.

While I'm not a history buff, I can tell you the counters I've heard from apologists. A common one is that we don't know exactly where "the wilderness" was where they wandered for 40 years, and some suspected areas are controlled by places that won't allow digs.

So, basically, it can be summed up as "We can't prove it true, but we can't prove it false either, so we're going to assume it's true because it's in the Bible."
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
21-01-2015, 10:53 AM
(21-01-2015 10:33 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, basically, it can be summed up as "We can't prove it true, but we can't prove it false either, so we're going to assume it's true because it's in the Bible."

That sounds like the typical believer's approach to the entire bible.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
21-01-2015, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2015 11:14 AM by Mr. Boston.)
(21-01-2015 10:33 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(21-01-2015 09:11 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Am I wrong? Are there any contemporary histories written by the Egyptians or other groups to corroborate the story? Thought I'd put it to the history buffs here.

While I'm not a history buff, I can tell you the counters I've heard from apologists. A common one is that we don't know exactly where "the wilderness" was where they wandered for 40 years, and some suspected areas are controlled by places that won't allow digs.

So, basically, it can be summed up as "We can't prove it true, but we can't prove it false either, so we're going to assume it's true because it's in the Bible."

Wandering the dessert for 40 years does not prove a group was enslaved somewhere nearby beforehand. I would just think that if the Egyptians suffered the death of every first-born male child there'd be SOME mention of it in their own histories. Being that I'm not an expert on Ancient Egypt, I wondered if there were some contemporary Egyptian sources that confirm the stories; though of course I suspected there weren't.
21-01-2015, 12:21 PM
You might point this out to your dad. The Bible puts the number of Exodus Jews at about two million. If they marched 8 abreast, the line would stretch nearly 200 miles! This does not include all their flocks and all the booty they took as described in Exodus.

It is about 250 miles in a straight line from Cairo to Jerusalem. Even the circuitous route from Egypt to the Promised Land interpreted from the Bible would be about 600 miles. So the column of Jews and their flocks and Egyptian booty would stretch for 300 miles along a 600 mile route AND it took the Jews 40 years to complete the route… Facepalm
21-01-2015, 12:31 PM
(21-01-2015 10:13 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  There are people who claim oh they found a pot shard, and it's proof of the exodus. Again, thousands of people traveling across the desert and ONE pot shard?

Yabut, what about the chariot wheels found in the Red Sea? Obviously the only way a couple of wheels would be there is if pharoah's army was wiped out after a couple of million Jews passed safely.
Facepalm

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
21-01-2015, 01:46 PM
Snopes says the Red Sea Chariot Hoax has been going on for years and nobody has discovered chariot wheels or human bones. http://www.snopes.com/religion/redsea.asp
21-01-2015, 02:06 PM
It might be valid to prove the past by recent Arab/Muslim behavior towards non-Muslims throughout the Middle East.

After decades of persecution, almost all Christians and Jews have been ethnically cleansed from the Middle East, except for in the tiny country of Israel. So, if we extrapolate from current known behavior of the Arabs/Muslims of the Middle East, it would be quite reasonable to believe that the same religious bigotry and hateful acts of the Middle East Arabs/Muslims has been going on for centuries.

Middle East Jews survived by fleeing to Israel, whereas most Christians were either murdered or fled the Arab/Muslim countries. In fact, Israel is the ONLY safe country in the Middle East where individuals have the freedom to practice any religion. While Muslim mosques have been built in Israel, Christian churches and Jewish temples have been destroyed throughout the Arab/Muslim Middle East.

So... if this religious intolerant, racist, bigotry has existed for decades, it is fairly easy to assume that this behavior, or worse, has existed over a long time.

Is there free will in Heaven? Do "souls" age in Heaven? What if you get to Heaven, for an eternity, and find it boring and tedious and torturous, especially without booze or sex? And... what if you can't get along with God?
21-01-2015, 02:58 PM
(21-01-2015 10:55 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Wandering the dessert for 40 years does not prove a group was enslaved somewhere nearby beforehand. I would just think that if the Egyptians suffered the death of every first-born male child there'd be SOME mention of it in their own histories. Being that I'm not an expert on Ancient Egypt, I wondered if there were some contemporary Egyptian sources that confirm the stories; though of course I suspected there weren't.

This is true; however, if found, they would still consider it supporting evidence. Any piece of supporting evidence is typically touted as "proof of God" and any piece of dissenting evidence is quickly attacked as to be discredited.

I have never once met a Christian that wanted to see 100% of the Bible proven true externally. They're happy to take small coincidences and cobble them together as "proof".