Any Virtual Traders Here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Any Virtual Traders Here?
Is there anyone here that enjoys virtual trading/simulated markets? I am starting to get back into it again, it would be fun to have people to compare portfolios with over the long term.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2014, 11:35 PM
RE: Any Virtual Traders Here?
No. But I'm commenting because i'm interested in real world trading or stock investment. Do you have any information on that that you could share?
Find all posts by this user
08-08-2014, 12:30 AM
Only what I know from taking online courses, keeping up with news, and using TG Ameritrade's trading and investment software. I am not a professional, though I am considering getting a second Masters degree in it when I am finished with my current one. The best online site for general knowledge and introductory learning (terms, concepts, etc.) is Investopedia. The next step after that is either textbooks or online courses, unless you are simply looking for long-term investment. In the latter case, you could do that with a full-service brokerage firm that gives you one-on-one time with an experienced broker that does most of the research and analysis for you. The other option is to do some long-term investment with most of your portfolio but then leave yourself a certain amount to 'play with.' But anything you do not invest with the long-term in mind you must be willing to lose all of.

If it is day trading you are after, that is virtually impossible to do well if you have another full-time job and you do not have a significant amount of capital to do it with. Which is why people like myself do it from time to time with virtual money - it uses real market information and limitations but you get the amount of (fake) capital required. Some people have managed to be moderately successful swing trading part-time, but the part-time at-home success stories you hear will always be the exception to the rule. Day traders typically make money by moving very large sums of (other people's) money very quickly, which is simply not something the average person has the ability or resources to do.

Which is why people like myself that are sort of 'enthusiasts' but not professionals like to utilize the market software that allows you to use virtual money. You can learn, enjoy the process, and have a fun hobby even if you are not in a position to do it in real life. I simply do not have the time, experience, knowledge, or assets to actively trade as a job. When life gets busy, I can close it down and focus on daily life. Other times, such as now, I get back into it and have some fun.
08-08-2014, 12:30 AM
Double post, sorry.
12-08-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm on investopedia's trading simulator.
Pain in the ass though, it's the US market so it opens at my midnight.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
Find all posts by this user