Any Writers on the board?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2017, 08:24 AM
Any Writers on the board?
I've been wanting to write for years, (fiction mainly), but have never given it the time/thought that I probably should. Recently I've been wanting to write a short book on Atheism, perhaps a self-help book for de-convertee's or something similar.

Just wondering if we had any writers on the board who could give any advice to a potential book scribe Laugh out load

"Whatever you say, Stone Cold Steve Austin." - Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
06-04-2017, 09:31 AM
RE: Any Writers on the board?
Science fiction writer, amateur with a few sales. My advice is to try an online critiquing group where you critique others' writing and they critique yours. Like most online groups, they will be brutal (if you're lucky, brutally *honest*), which I found to be a good thing when I was learning. Equally important, you read others' bad writing and have to think about why it's bad, including things that you might not recognize in your own writing. I can recommend some groups, but the ones I know are mainly science fiction genre groups.
[+] 4 users Like John Derderian's post
06-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Sure, fire away I'll take a look as it might help Smile

06-04-2017, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2017 10:49 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(06-04-2017 08:24 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I've been wanting to write for years, (fiction mainly), but have never given it the time/thought that I probably should. Recently I've been wanting to write a short book on Atheism, perhaps a self-help book for de-convertee's or something similar.

Just wondering if we had any writers on the board who could give any advice to a potential book scribe Laugh out load

It depends on what you mean by "writer".

If you have been "wanting to write for years", but haven't written, you may just like the idea of being a writer. A writer actually writes. A writer likes constructing sentences.

In my own case, I have written in my personal journals for most of my life. I have also thrown out most of those journals (though I will probably keep my journals from the last eleven years -- I've gotten better with practice).

With digital publishing, anyone can get their efforts printed up and available as downloads or hardcopies, for a fee. In a little less than a decade, my wife and I wrote a book on the implications of our lucid dreaming experiences for dream theory which we digitally published, and she even receives checks for maybe $50 a year from that effort.

Hobo
06-04-2017, 10:57 AM
Thanks Thoreauvian!

RE: "wanting to write for years", I've planned out stories and actually have written small parts before, although I honestly didn't have the time to continue, (working full time, have a child etc).

I enjoy writing, and just need to find something that I can really run with. I've had some half decent ideas, although I find I hit the dreaded "wall" at times, as they kind of run out of steam. The Atheism self-help book is something I've recently thought of, and would need to do a lot of research, but hopfully it'd help others as well.

[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
06-04-2017, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2017 01:24 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(06-04-2017 10:57 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  RE: "wanting to write for years", I've planned out stories and actually have written small parts before, although I honestly didn't have the time to continue, (working full time, have a child etc).

I enjoy writing, and just need to find something that I can really run with. I've had some half decent ideas, although I find I hit the dreaded "wall" at times, as they kind of run out of steam.

Yeah, I've also got a fair number of writing projects in my head or in various stages of completion, as I suppose most writers do. I just hope that one or two actually come to something before I get too old to make sense anymore.

Usually if you can't make yourself work on something, it means there's some problem with your concept which you need to fix first. I would recommend you read Annie Dillard's The Writing Life for a few well-written perspectives on the process. It's short, entertaining, and highly relevant.
06-04-2017, 01:26 PM
I write as a hobby. I've written one novel, am working on another, and some essays as well.

The only advice I give other writers is "never use ten words when five will do", and "don't write down to your reader."
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
06-04-2017, 04:18 PM
I'm writing this rhyme,
and giving you my time.
So don't you worry.
I'll help you write a story.
Just follow my lead,
so people can read.
A book by the bloke,
that we call Oak.

In reality no I am not a writer haha but I wish you luck Smile

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
06-04-2017, 08:32 PM
(06-04-2017 09:37 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Sure, fire away I'll take a look as it might help Smile
The one I found most helpful was http://www.critters.org. They have several pages for different genres, but the only one I can vouch for is the science fiction page.

Another science fiction one I spent a little time at was sff.onlinewritingworkshop.com. This was a good site too. Both these sites were primarily about getting critiques, and reading others' works and writing critiques. You have to write 'em to get 'em, but the reading and critiquing of others I found to be useful.

One that is not science fiction genre but is more general is http://www.scribophile.com. This is structured more like a forum, and I found it to be more about socializing and patting each other on the back than about hardheaded critiques. I met some interesting people and read some good stuff there, but I found it less helpful than the others in terms of actually learning how to improve my writing.
[+] 3 users Like John Derderian's post
06-04-2017, 10:17 PM
I'm a career journalist/editor and publisher. I also have written fiction.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post