Any Writers on the board?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2017, 01:04 AM
RE: Any Writers on the board?
You can get good critiques here: https://www.writingforums.org/ You have to offer five critiques of other works first, but you'll get good advice from a few.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-04-2017, 09:08 AM
(06-04-2017 08:24 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I've been wanting to write for years, (fiction mainly), but have never given it the time/thought that I probably should. Recently I've been wanting to write a short book on Atheism, perhaps a self-help book for de-convertee's or something similar.

Just wondering if we had any writers on the board who could give any advice to a potential book scribe Laugh out load

> "If you wish to be a writer---write!" (Epictetus) Cool
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
07-04-2017, 10:39 AM
I love to write, I highly encourage it. I need to take a break from TTA forums though to like write elsewhere. Gotta remove tempting distractions so I can focus on one topic for a bit. I'm taking my friend home today, so... maybe this next week while I'm studying C language I can set aside time to write too and just limit checking TTA to evenings for a week. Then I might be more productive! Smile

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
07-04-2017, 11:24 AM
I'm an amateur novelist (6 NaNoWriMo wins in a row before I got too busy to do it any more), hoping to eventually second-draft and e-publish what I've written and finally turn pro.

Make inquiries in your city/town about writing groups (there may be one that a local university English program runs, or knows about). Hanging out with other writers is usually fun, occasionally productive, and sometimes both.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
07-04-2017, 08:33 PM
(07-04-2017 11:24 AM)Astreja Wrote:  I'm an amateur novelist (6 NaNoWriMo wins in a row before I got too busy to do it any more), hoping to eventually second-draft and e-publish what I've written and finally turn pro.

Make inquiries in your city/town about writing groups (there may be one that a local university English program runs, or knows about). Hanging out with other writers is usually fun, occasionally productive, and sometimes both.

I've wanted to do NaNoWriMo for forever, but college and work always got in the way... I should make it happen this year.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
08-04-2017, 12:07 AM
(07-04-2017 08:33 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I've wanted to do NaNoWriMo for forever, but college and work always got in the way... I should make it happen this year.

There are a few secrets to doing NaNo and getting to the 50,000 word mark by 11:59 p.m. on November 30:
  • No editing! You aren't aiming for a publication-ready novel; this is pure first-draft stuff designed to get things flowing.
  • Write about 6-7 pages of something every day. A pace of 1667 words a day will get you to the finish line.
  • When in doubt, have ninjas attack the cast, kill off all your characters, and go off on a tangent completely unrelated to the original story. (I didn't have to do this myself; I could usually just switch to another room and another set of characters while I puzzled out what the "A" group was going to do next.)

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
08-04-2017, 05:23 PM
My first piece of advice would be to write about a topic you love, a topic you're passionate about.

That love of the subject material will get you through some mental droughts when you feel like a blank canvas.

Second, write often. Make it a habit. Set aside a little time each night, even if it's only to brainstorm ideas.

Lastly, if it was easy, everybody would do it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
08-04-2017, 08:12 PM
I write most nights before bed, usually a page to a couple pages.
If you wanna write just write.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
09-04-2017, 11:01 AM
(07-04-2017 08:33 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I've wanted to do NaNoWriMo for forever, but college and work always got in the way... I should make it happen this year.

One thing I do when I have trouble getting started is to pick the scene that interests me most and start by writing that. Doing several possibly disconnected scenes this way gives me a chance to think through the issues, and after enough of these are done I can go though and write the rest from start to finish.
[+] 2 users Like John Derderian's post
09-04-2017, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2017 08:07 PM by Rahn127.)
(09-04-2017 11:01 AM)John Derderian Wrote:  

One thing I do when I have trouble getting started is to pick the scene that interests me most and start by writing that. Doing several possibly disconnected scenes this way gives me a chance to think through the issues, and after enough of these are done I can go though and write the rest from start to finish.

I do the same thing. My first & second books have both started in the middle where I was most interested in writing one particular idea. Then I back fill to the beginning and that way I have a good idea where the end may lead.

A lot of the times I simply have an idea and I go from that idea filling in around it with whatever comes to mind. Sometimes it works and sometimes I have to delete entire chapters.

For me it's very dynamic. Nothing set in stone.
That's what the backspace button is for.

A writer can teleport and remove at will anything in his or her story.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post