Any "anti-Christian" movies based on the Bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2013, 12:21 AM
RE: Any "anti-Christian" movies based on the Bible?
I'm not aware of any...and I worked at a video store for 22 years! The closest I can think of is Pier Paolo Pasolini's "The Gospel According To St. Matthew". It follows the text quite strictly, but treats the character of Jesus as more of a Marxist then a deity.

A fun movie dealing with Catholic doctrines and the heresies they provoked is Luis Bunuel's "The Milky Way".

Quote:Everything in this film concerning the Catholic religion and the heresies it has provoked, especially from the dogmatic point of view, is rigorously exact. The texts and citations are taken either direct from Scripture, or modern and ancient works on theology and ecclesiastical history. - Jean-Claude Carriere (co-screenwriter)

The film has some great scenes of Jesus with Mary and with the apostles. There is also an hilarious scene depicting when Jesus was supposed to have turned water into wine at a party. Oh...and Jesus is always seen walking VERY FAST in the movie. Bunuel does this because he saw Jesus as a revolutionary with somewhere to go and not a pious individual.

“I'm an atheist, and that's it. I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for people.” - Katharine Hepburn
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply