Any atheists with kids that became theists?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
09-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Any atheists with kids that became theists?
I'm curious to know if any of you had kids and despite your non belief they became believers.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
09-12-2011, 08:51 PM
RE: Any atheists with kids that became theists?
I allowed my kids to go to church if they wanted to go with family members. I thought for a while that my daughter believed. She went to church often with family members. I asked her if she believed or not. I could never get an answer. It was "I don't know."

I was relieved to hear (about a week ago) that she was an atheist. She just went with her friends for something to do.

So to answer your question, no, I was worried but not anymore lol!

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Clint Barnett's post
09-12-2011, 11:27 PM
My son is an atheist. He never showed signs otherwise as I have always spoken out about religion whenever it rears it ugly head. He's actually more outspoken than I am. Sometimes I tell him to keep it down or he may find himself in an uncomfortable situation as he has never read the bible and a hard-core fundie may trip him up and he'd have nowhere to go. Although he'd probably just tell them to fuck off and also to stop believing in mythical crap!!!
[+] 3 users Like aurora's post
10-12-2011, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 10:32 AM by Seasbury.)
I mentioned this on a thread a long ways back that I'm too lazy to search for.

My wife and I have 4 kids: 22, 22, 20, and on the cusp of 17.

We're a blended family - each of us brought 2 to the family. When we were married, she was still very Christian and I was a self-described "bare bones Christian.". [to understand that reference, you'd need to read my "Why I'm an Atheist" article - http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/05/...heist.html ] (link fixed - that bracket on the end of the link threw it off...)

We all went to church - my brain playing Simpsons reruns to make it through every Sunday morning...eventually, I told her I couldn't take it anymore - wasn't buying into any of it. Within a year, she joined my view.

All that said, the 2 kids I brought into the family are both hard-core atheists (the 22 yo and the almost 17 yo) the 2 she brought into the family both consider themselves Christian, although they are not religious (in the sense they don't go to church). Their "faith" is more a matter of their raising and what was instilled in them/on them from an early age.

My 16 yo asked around Easter if he could go to church - I laughed because, A., like he needs my permission to go to church, and B. he's an atheist. He was doing it for a girl he liked...he came home afterward and said to me "please don't ever let me go to church again!". I told him his beliefs are up to him, I'm not making him go or not go...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Seasbury's post
12-12-2011, 12:02 AM
(09-12-2011 11:27 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  My son is an atheist. He never showed signs otherwise as I have always spoken out about religion whenever it rears it ugly head. He's actually more outspoken than I am. Sometimes I tell him to keep it down or he may find himself in an uncomfortable situation as he has never read the bible and a hard-core fundie may trip him up and he'd have nowhere to go. Although he'd probably just tell them to fuck off and also to stop believing in mythical crap!!!

My daughter turns 20 in a little under a month.
She is one of the “Fuck off with your Santa for adults shit” type people.
Funny to watch in real life though!

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche