You trippin' bro?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2012, 05:40 PM
RE: Any biologist in here?
My time to shine! Big Grin

...... Or look supremely stupid. Shocking

Okay, it's been a long time since I actually got a biology lesson, and I am by no means a biologist, but bear with me 'kay?

Here goes basically nothing:

(02-09-2012 10:43 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  I've got a couple questions.

Is injury the main influence in evolution?

When we injure ourselves the body knows how to patch it up right? Do to our DNA. The blueprint on how to rebuild it.

First part: Not necessarily, it is the imperfect replication of genes coming from a genetic mother and fathers genes being (spliced?) together that constitute evolution in a small scale, and large scale (speciation) is caused when enough of these tiny changes appear throughout a community... Is that close science-y people?

(02-09-2012 10:43 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  Which leads me to my 2nd question.

Is there some form of memory in DNA that says. "OK, the lifeform was hurt there." And that memory uses that in the procreation process?

I don't think pain or injury has an effect on you or others down your line, well not evolutionarily at least... although I think if you get an illness which adversely effects your immune or other "systems" in the body, and conceive a child, it might go down the line that way.

Wait.. no I retract that first part, survival is probably número uno on a creatures To Do list, right next to Procreate.

Point being; If one thing in particular injures or causes large fatalities to a species, or isolated population in it, I am willing to bet that the species (or population) will begin to avoid the thing like the Black Plague, and the children will follow the adults, and children's children with do they same to them and so on until the fear or avoidance of this thing that caused so much pain and suffering gets implanted as part of the survival instincts.

I'm not sure if that's close to anything but I figured I'd try...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
05-09-2012, 05:56 PM
(05-09-2012 05:40 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  My time to shine! Big Grin

...... Or look supremely stupid. Shocking

Okay, it's been a long time since I actually got a biology lesson, and I am by no means a biologist, but bear with me 'kay?

Here goes basically nothing:

(02-09-2012 10:43 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  I've got a couple questions.

Is injury the main influence in evolution?

When we injure ourselves the body knows how to patch it up right? Do to our DNA. The blueprint on how to rebuild it.

First part: Not necessarily, it is the imperfect replication of genes coming from a genetic mother and fathers genes being (spliced?) together that constitute evolution in a small scale, and large scale (speciation) is caused when enough of these tiny changes appear throughout a community... Is that close science-y people?

(02-09-2012 10:43 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  Which leads me to my 2nd question.

Is there some form of memory in DNA that says. "OK, the lifeform was hurt there." And that memory uses that in the procreation process?

I don't think pain or injury has an effect on you or others down your line, well not evolutionarily at least... although I think if you get an illness which adversely effects your immune or other "systems" in the body, and conceive a child, it might go down the line that way.

Wait.. no I retract that first part, survival is probably número uno on a creatures To Do list, right next to Procreate.

Point being; If one thing in particular injures or causes large fatalities to a species, or isolated population in it, I am willing to bet that the species (or population) will begin to avoid the thing like the Black Plague, and the children will follow the adults, and children's children with do they same to them and so on until the fear or avoidance of this thing that caused so much pain and suffering gets implanted as part of the survival instincts.

I'm not sure if that's close to anything but I figured I'd try...

I knew I liked you for some reason!

You are pretty awesome!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
05-09-2012, 06:24 PM
(05-09-2012 05:56 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I knew I liked you for some reason!

You are pretty awesome!

I'm making friends yay!

Seriously though, you're not half bad yourself! Big Grin

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
05-09-2012, 06:26 PM
(05-09-2012 06:24 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(05-09-2012 05:56 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I knew I liked you for some reason!

You are pretty awesome!

I'm making friends yay!

Seriously though, you're not half bad yourself! Big Grin

With posts like those, you'll get (hot?) Nerd Girls crawling ALL OVER YOU.

Thanks man!

We are going to be the best of friends, lolBig Grin

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
05-09-2012, 07:27 PM
(04-09-2012 11:52 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  OK, so lets say that Mr. Track star has 4 mcl tears in his life. Of course those tears all healed up with the help of the DNA/recipe of how to do it.

He marries another track star who her herself has had some mcl tears.

Now if they reproduce. Is there anything in biology that suggest that the offspring would need to necessitate maybe making the MC Ligaments stronger?

The DNA knows it had to repair those particular cells. And a numerous amount of times.

For all it knows, nature requires stronger ligaments there. You see what I'm saying?

There is no mechanism known in biology that would allow this to happen, and it has not been observed in practice. The DNA that is passed on to successive generations in the gametes comes from the gonads, not from the leg. That DNA is does not appear to be influenced by ordinary events in a person's life and is simply a slightly mutated version of what was passed down from the individual's parents.

What has been observed is that under some conditions individuals in a population that have different combinations of genes/alleles survive and produce offspring at slightly different rates. In this case the track stars will produce offspring who have a slightly mutated version of the DNA of the parents (half each). It may also be that some of these genes provide a survival and reproduction advantage, in which case the next generation of humans will have more of those genes and less of the less successful genes. Overall the human population will tend towards those successful genes.

However the number of genes being selected for in the human population is vanishingly small [1][2]. It's just as likely that the track star gonads will have been damaged by a lifetime of testosterone injections leading to fewer offspring and a human species less blessed with those genes Smile

[1]

[2]

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
06-09-2012, 07:05 AM
(05-09-2012 07:27 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(04-09-2012 11:52 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  OK, so lets say that Mr. Track star has 4 mcl tears in his life. Of course those tears all healed up with the help of the DNA/recipe of how to do it.

He marries another track star who her herself has had some mcl tears.

Now if they reproduce. Is there anything in biology that suggest that the offspring would need to necessitate maybe making the MC Ligaments stronger?

The DNA knows it had to repair those particular cells. And a numerous amount of times.

For all it knows, nature requires stronger ligaments there. You see what I'm saying?

There is no mechanism known in biology that would allow this to happen, and it has not been observed in practice. The DNA that is passed on to successive generations in the gametes comes from the gonads, not from the leg. That DNA is does not appear to be influenced by ordinary events in a person's life and is simply a slightly mutated version of what was passed down from the individual's parents.

What has been observed is that under some conditions individuals in a population that have different combinations of genes/alleles survive and produce offspring at slightly different rates. In this case the track stars will produce offspring who have a slightly mutated version of the DNA of the parents (half each). It may also be that some of these genes provide a survival and reproduction advantage, in which case the next generation of humans will have more of those genes and less of the less successful genes. Overall the human population will tend towards those successful genes.

However the number of genes being selected for in the human population is vanishingly small [1][2]. It's just as likely that the track star gonads will have been damaged by a lifetime of testosterone injections leading to fewer offspring and a human species less blessed with those genes Smile

[1]

[2]

look into epigenetics......................
[+] 1 user Likes Bishadi's post