Any fans of live theatre here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Any fans of live theatre here?
I'm a stage actor, and have been doing it since I was 14. Absolutely love it. I work for a theatre doing technical work, as well as performing there. I'm a theatre major and do multiple plays for the school a year.

Kind of hard to find people interested in this stuff, but figured I'd give it a shot. Anyone ever done any plays? If so, what and who were you? I figure I'll post my credits if a couple people seem to give a damn. Heh

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2012, 02:39 PM
RE: Any fans of live theatre here?
Love watching it. Don't get the opportunity very much. It's an incredible skill... By all means post your creds Smile
21-08-2012, 02:40 PM
I like musical theatre in particular. Fiorello is a favorite. Unfortunately, theatre hasn't gotten to be so expensive we only buy tickets for sure hits.
21-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Do strip clubs count? Huh

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-08-2012, 02:57 PM
(21-08-2012 02:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  Love watching it. Don't get the opportunity very much. It's an incredible skill... By all means post your creds Smile

Awesome! Where do you live that you get to go see shows?

Well, here's a list of all my roles over the years-

*Prince- Rapunzel: Uncut
Dracula- The Transylvanian Clockworks
Yellowfeather- Artesia
*Earnest/John Worthing- The Importance of Being Ernest
Patrick O'Reilly- The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940
*Macbeth- Macbeth
Mr. Lockit- The Beggar's Opera
Mr. Mutchnik- Little Shop of Horrors
Rev. Daniel Bryant- Passing Through
*Dub Dubberly- Christmas Belles
*Estrogon- Waiting for Godot
Tommy Cliffert- The Cover of Life
*Mr. Kipps- The Woman in Black
*Angelo- Measure for Measure
Banquo- Macbeth
*Henry II- The Lion in Winter
*Jeremy- The Bloodline

* means a lead role.

So, yeah. Have auditions for 2 shows in about a week... really looking forward to it!

Oh, and yes... strip clubs count. Technically. >_>

[+] 3 users Like Ghost0fBanquo's post
21-08-2012, 03:08 PM
I see it very rarely unfortunately. Been up to London a couple of times, otherwise... yeah, just about once a year. My parents are more cultural than me so when I visit them they tend to have bought tickets to see interesting things. Where I used to live in Grahamstown in South Africa was a bit of a cultural centre, they put on some very good plays - African themes mainly, lots of original stuff too.

Adore Shakespeare. Can't believe the depth of his stuff. Centuries down the line and it's still at the pinnacle. Argh. Can't remember the title of the one I saw years ago at the globe. Oh wait, comedy of errors. Wow. So great.

Importance of being Earnest - Absolutely brilliant.

Otherwise... ja, just as and when. That list you quoted - they're all pretty famous aren't they? I've only seen a few though...

Love musicals. Saw Les Miserables recently, been wanting to for ages... it's one that really got under my skin.
21-08-2012, 05:27 PM
(21-08-2012 03:08 PM)morondog Wrote:  I see it very rarely unfortunately. Been up to London a couple of times, otherwise... yeah, just about once a year. My parents are more cultural than me so when I visit them they tend to have bought tickets to see interesting things. Where I used to live in Grahamstown in South Africa was a bit of a cultural centre, they put on some very good plays - African themes mainly, lots of original stuff too.

GAH. London. Dying to see some stuff there...

Quote:Adore Shakespeare. Can't believe the depth of his stuff. Centuries down the line and it's still at the pinnacle. Argh. Can't remember the title of the one I saw years ago at the globe. Oh wait, comedy of errors. Wow. So great.

I can't get enough. I have two copies of his Complete Works, and so many other books and things on him. What's your opinion on the whole "he never really wrote any of that stuff" debate?

Quote:Importance of being Earnest - Absolutely brilliant.

Otherwise... ja, just as and when. That list you quoted - they're all pretty famous aren't they? I've only seen a few though...

A few, yes. Specifically the Shakespeares, Little Shop, Earnest, and Godot. A couple of those are very unknown, and one is unpublished (The Bloodline). And yes, Earnest is one of the absolute best plays that has ever been written. Fantastic piece of literature.

Quote:Love musicals. Saw Les Miserables recently, been wanting to for ages... it's one that really got under my skin.

Man... dying to see Les Mis as well. I'm not the biggest musical fan, nor do I enjoy being in them all that much, but Les Mis is one of those 'can't help but love' it things for me.

21-08-2012, 05:40 PM
(21-08-2012 05:27 PM)Ghost0fBanquo Wrote:  I can't get enough. I have two copies of his Complete Works, and so many other books and things on him. What's your opinion on the whole "he never really wrote any of that stuff" debate?

I don't know enough about it for my opinion to be worth anything. Still, fun to speculate. From what I've read... his stuff is consistently awesome. His characters... they have depth like no other playwright can give them. It's like he would imagine a whole backstory for some guy who came in to deliver three lines. They have flaws. They have dark pasts... they are good people gone wrong...

Honestly... for that to be the work of more than one man... well, they worked as a company. I guess the process of writing the plays was probably fairly symbiotic. Try something, see how it works, the actor ad libs a bit, just feel out the role... but even so. They're so seamless.

The famous suggestion was that Francis Bacon wrote them afaik. Can't be bothered to check wikipedia... but I'd say that's gotta be a far out thing. Bacon had his own affairs to look out for. Churning out popular plays at a breakneck pace at the same time as doing his government work and writing ponderous tomes on the scientific method. Can't see that working.