Any former christians feel like chatting?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2018, 05:18 PM
Any former christians feel like chatting?
Hi!

I setup a google hangout to just connect with former christians. No agenda. I used to be a semi-Pentecostal, young earth biblical literalist. I’ve just been dealing with How/if I should come out to family, frustration over time wasted pursuing god, anger at indoctrination etc.

Wanted to talk to folks who have been there or are there now. I’ll be in the hangout for the next hour or two, but I think the link will stay good for later.

Join the conversation on Hangouts: https://hangouts.google.com/group/6CyvLfKPErEH75c92

“I have always felt that doubt was the beginning of wisdom, and the fear of God was the end of wisdom.”
― Clarence Darrow, The Story of My Life
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DarkkWolfe's post
25-01-2018, 08:16 PM
RE: Any former christians feel like chatting?
I guess it's a pretty personal decision you need to make about letting friends and family know of your atheism. Obviously it's best if you can freely tell everyone (as we should be able to) without any severe ructions, but the reality is probably different. You definitely need to first ease into with the friend or family member most likely to both accept it and support you down the track.

Initially, keep well away from the zealous religionists, but bear in mind that the word's probably going to spread behind your back regardless of who you tell—families being what they are.

I'd also advise keeping it low key when you do tell them, rather than seeming to be revolutionary or belligerent. Some people ease into it by firstly saying something like they've been "considering their options" regarding their ongoing religious beliefs—rather than shouting "I'm an atheist!" type of approach.

You could even start out by talking about their personal faith, and ask them whether or not they have any doubts about scripture, which leads into you suggesting gently that you've had some doubts in the recent past, that you're working through at the moment.

You'll need to figure out which one of your family or friends who won't go ballistic in the first instance though; you need to build up a little support base of—at the least—a couple of people who won't be openly and actively aggressive towards the notion of your deconversion.

There's a couple of sites HERE and HERE that you might like to check out.

—Hope this helps, and good luck. Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
26-01-2018, 02:16 AM
RE: Any former christians feel like chatting?
Folks,

This whole topic just sounds so heavy. Sadcryface

It is a beautiful thing to be around people who can say (meaning it) .."I might be wrong." But so rare.

D.