Any gardeners in the group?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Any gardeners in the group?
I just have a quick question.

Ive been wanting to grow some edible things (Veggies, herbs, whatever) My problem is as an apartment dweller the only space I have available is a concrete patio that doesn't get a whole lot of light.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what might grow well?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2013, 10:59 AM
RE: Any gardeners in the group?
Anything will grow given enough shit to grow in, in my experience.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
03-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Herbs.

Small and useful for cooking.
http://herbgardens.about.com/od/herbalga...garden.htm

Consider

Don't go for pumpkins, oak trees or triffids.

03-09-2013, 11:05 AM
I am currently writing a book intended for you. Specifically. It is a book about container gardening for apartment/condo dwellers.

What would you like to grow? Favorite veggie? How many hours of sunlight does your patio receive? Have you mapped the suns pattern for the year? Do you have access to GOOD compost? (the kind you make yourself is better than anything you can buy in a bag, but used properly, the bagged stuff works fine until you get your own compost started)

Honestly, between Dom and myself, I bet we could answer pretty much anything! Lol.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
03-09-2013, 11:09 AM
This is the experimental garden earlier this year. Most of what you see has already been harvested and replaced. Containers are good for almost anything. Just last night we ate corn on the cob grown in a pot. Everyone I told said it was impossible.

Not so....

[Image: 6a1feb10c827057a4065cdb53e4588e1.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
03-09-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm thinking I want to do herbs to be honest. I don't know if I'm brave enough to attempt veggies at this point *lol*

I'll have to pay attention to how much direct sunlight I get today so I can give you an honest answer, but I can tell you its not very much. Maybe an hour?

Living in Oregon I suspect I can find some good compost.

I just want something super simple. I'm very much a beginner Smile
03-09-2013, 11:21 AM
To give you an idea of the challenge. My giant wall I face:

[Image: IMAG1692.jpg]

and surrounded by a wooden fence:

[Image: IMAG1693.jpg]
03-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Oh and as you can see its covered by an upstairs deck.
03-09-2013, 11:39 AM
The beauty of gardening is that it's all simple if you take the right approach.

How bout this.....I'll coach you through four pots, with four different veggies in them. Easy peasy.

Step one. Make some soil.

I use the Square Foot gardening method for soil. One part peat moss, one part vermiculite (or perlite) and one part compost. That starts you off with a light, easy to work soil. It is weed free and will hold tons of moisture. Plus, as you grow and harvest, all you need to do is add a handful of compost every time you plant something new in the pot. Mix the ingredients well, and fill your pot. (use 5 gallon pots. Just get the cheap ones. Shouldn,t cost more than five bucks a pot)

Step two. Plant stuff.

It,s up to you whether you plant from seed, or buy started plants from a nursery. Really though, the satisfaction comes from growing seeds. Plus then you don't have to mess around with transplanting.

Plant your seeds sparingly. For example, one pot has enough room for one broccoli, four heads of lettuce, about 20 carrots, or two pepper plants (three if they are hot peppers like jalapeƱos)

For herbs, plant two or three varieties in a single pot. It's best to keep them separate though (don't mix the seeds, just plant your basil on one side of the pot and your lemon balm on the other side) Your seed packets will give you all the info you need. There,s really nothing to it.

Step three. Water.

Try to water every day. Obviously the pots will hold enough moisture for a couple, but watering every day ensures that you also look at the plants often. Truth is, you won't be able to resist anyways. It is VERY rewarding watching your food grow.

Remember, you've created an ideal environment for roots. Well drained soil (it's nearly impossible to over water with this system) chock full of nutrients.

Step four. Eat.

Nuff said.

So here's the veg I recommend:

Pot one: choose three herbs you use on a regular basis.

Pot two: carrots. Mix the tiny seeds with sand, and spread them thinly on the surface of the soil. Remember not to over crowd them, but if you do, it's easy enough to thin them out later. Cover with a very thin layer of soil, and water SLOWLY AND GENTLY until the pot is thoroughly watered. (these instructions go for herb as well. Most herbs have very small seeds.)

Pot three: broccoli. Start by planting three seeds, about two inches apart, in the center of the pot. Later, you will cull two, leaving your biggest, healthiest plant to grow your food.

Pot four. Tomatoes. These are the easiest, and most rewarding veggies (fruit) to grow. Fo tomatoes, I usually buy a nursery plant, but starting from seed is fine too. One tomato plant per pot.

Sound good so far?

[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
03-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Planting on a table will greatly increase the light available. Although instructions will often tell you a plant needs full sun, most plants will grow just fine so long as they get sunlight. Indirect is just fine. They will simply grow slower.