Any good Thermodynamics youtube vids?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Any good Thermodynamics youtube vids?
Can someone point me in the right direction? I want to learn about thermodynamics...because... well, why not? right? I'm no scientist per se, so an introductory video would be a good start. Also, I want to learn more than just the second law too. Thanks so much!!

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2014, 12:40 AM
RE: Any good Thermodynamics youtube vids?
Read Atkins "physical chemistry". It is for introduction into physical chemistry, of which thermodynamics is a big part. We read it in the first semester at university.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
11-08-2014, 12:42 AM
I googled it and there is even a pdf version available!

http://www.kepu.dicp.ac.cn/photo/07sl02/...Atkins.pdf

Happy reading. It is really a good book. 20 pages before going to sleep every night? Wink

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
12-08-2014, 10:41 AM
(11-08-2014 12:42 AM)Youkay Wrote:  I googled it and there is even a pdf version available!

http://www.kepu.dicp.ac.cn/photo/07sl02/...Atkins.pdf

Happy reading. It is really a good book. 20 pages before going to sleep every night? Wink

Sweet, Thanks man. I'll give it a shot.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
12-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Whewwww 900 pages! ouch I'll flip through it but I don't know about all THAT

12-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Get started, you might really enjoy it! If not, thermodynamics comprises only a few chapters.

12-08-2014, 12:00 PM
(10-08-2014 09:29 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  Can someone point me in the right direction? I want to learn about thermodynamics...because... well, why not? right? I'm no scientist per se, so an introductory video would be a good start. Also, I want to learn more than just the second law too. Thanks so much!!

That depends on what sort of understanding you wish to gain.

Most universities have course webpages that are publicly accessible; any "introduction to thermodynamics" course (just about any school will have one) will have a recommended text or several.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
12-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Just remember, the 2nd law of thermodynamics only applies to closed systems, Earth is NOT a closed system. I have a feeling this will come up at some point....Big Grin

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
13-08-2014, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2014 02:56 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
I've added this to my "watchlist". https://www.coursera.org/course/introthermodynamics Check it out. It looks legit, and all coursera.org lectures are free too.

[+] 1 user Likes smileXsmileXsmile's post
13-08-2014, 03:02 PM
I'll give this series a shot in the meantime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvZZYeouz_I Good tip on the university courses cjlr. thanks.