Any good history books?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2013, 04:39 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2013 04:47 AM by Nappa.)
Any good history books?
Looking for cultural history about the islamic empires 600-1300 CE, the carolingian era (charlemagne's empire) and celts, germans and saxons. I've pretty much got rome and greece covered, with some extra. I'd put persia in there but I already got an order in for two books on just them. And when I say cultural I mean cultural! I don't want a timeline of kings.

Also I don't suggest reading "The Persian Empire" by J.M. cook, also known in the folio society as "The Persians" is not a very good book culturally speaking. Mostly references Herodotus.

I do suggest the book Ancient Greece: a political, social, and cultural history by sarah b. pomeroy. Now this is a book that has it all! culture, society, and of course the politics which some dorks think is all that constitutes to history.

I suppose I should say I'm looking for history books that encompass everything, like the one described above. Not only cultural, but social, and political history as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Any good history books? - Nappa - 14-01-2013 04:39 AM
RE: Any good history books? - Nappa - 14-01-2013, 03:10 PM
RE: Any good history books? - Nappa - 14-01-2013, 10:08 PM