Any good history books?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2013, 04:39 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2013 04:47 AM by Nappa.)
Any good history books?
Looking for cultural history about the islamic empires 600-1300 CE, the carolingian era (charlemagne's empire) and celts, germans and saxons. I've pretty much got rome and greece covered, with some extra. I'd put persia in there but I already got an order in for two books on just them. And when I say cultural I mean cultural! I don't want a timeline of kings.

Also I don't suggest reading "The Persian Empire" by J.M. cook, also known in the folio society as "The Persians" is not a very good book culturally speaking. Mostly references Herodotus.

I do suggest the book Ancient Greece: a political, social, and cultural history by sarah b. pomeroy. Now this is a book that has it all! culture, society, and of course the politics which some dorks think is all that constitutes to history.

I suppose I should say I'm looking for history books that encompass everything, like the one described above. Not only cultural, but social, and political history as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2013, 10:15 AM
RE: Any good history books?
(14-01-2013 04:39 AM)Nappa Wrote:  Looking for cultural history about the islamic empires 600-1300 CE, the carolingian era (charlemagne's empire) and celts, germans and saxons.

I know of some good books on Judeo-Islamic cultural history. They mainly cover what the lives of Jews were like in Islamic empires. They most likely aren't what you are looking for, but I'll look through them to see if they list any good books on pure Islamic history. I also have a really good book that lists every single Islamic empire and their rulers. I forget the name, but it probably has sources on the subject as well.

Is there a particular reason why you are looking for such books? Are you writing something, or are you just interested in world history?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-01-2013, 03:10 PM
(14-01-2013 10:15 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(14-01-2013 04:39 AM)Nappa Wrote:  Looking for cultural history about the islamic empires 600-1300 CE, the carolingian era (charlemagne's empire) and celts, germans and saxons.

I know of some good books on Judeo-Islamic cultural history. They mainly cover what the lives of Jews were like in Islamic empires. They most likely aren't what you are looking for, but I'll look through them to see if they list any good books on pure Islamic history. I also have a really good book that lists every single Islamic empire and their rulers. I forget the name, but it probably has sources on the subject as well.

Is there a particular reason why you are looking for such books? Are you writing something, or are you just interested in world history?
I appreciate your offer but I have zero interest in learning jewish history, what with the torah and the holocaust I think I should be well enough versed about them. As for a list of empires with their rulers I don't think I'd like that much. The Persian Empire by J.M. cook focused on the rulers as well, and I nearly puked when I read that book, I have no interest in the lives of single men/women unless it is bound up with their culture and society.

As for my motives, my most important motive is that I want to learn a detailed overview of the near east and western history. I seem to be lacking motivation to learn about china and japan and their lot in civilization, but I'm confident that one day I'll force myself to read up on their history.

and my other motive is to learn enough to write a fantasy book, something I've been wanting to do for a while now, but I've lacked the knowledge and the creativity to write it. So in a sense both, two birds with one stone and all that.
14-01-2013, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2013 09:58 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(14-01-2013 03:10 PM)Nappa Wrote:  I appreciate your offer but I have zero interest in learning jewish history, what with the torah and the holocaust I think I should be well enough versed about them. As for a list of empires with their rulers I don't think I'd like that much. The Persian Empire by J.M. cook focused on the rulers as well, and I nearly puked when I read that book, I have no interest in the lives of single men/women unless it is bound up with their culture and society.

As for my motives, my most important motive is that I want to learn a detailed overview of the near east and western history. I seem to be lacking motivation to learn about china and japan and their lot in civilization, but I'm confident that one day I'll force myself to read up on their history.

and my other motive is to learn enough to write a fantasy book, something I've been wanting to do for a while now, but I've lacked the knowledge and the creativity to write it. So in a sense both, two birds with one stone and all that.

That's why I said I would look through those books to see if they had any good sources on purely Islamic cultural history. It may take me a little bit since most of my books are still in boxes after a recent move. You could find a history forum and ask around. I suggest starting at http://www.historum.com. I've been a member for a few years now, and the people there are quite knowledgeable on just about any kind of history imaginable. They are constantly recommending different books.

How would you incorporate all of this different cultural history into a fantasy? The idea of writing such a story sounds intriguing. My current knowledge of history was also fueled by a yearning to write a novel. The plot started out as a fantasy, but it ended up a historical-fiction. It never materialized, but the research that went into it allowed me to learn so much about history that I've started doing my own scholarly research.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-01-2013, 10:08 PM
(14-01-2013 09:52 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(14-01-2013 03:10 PM)Nappa Wrote:  I appreciate your offer but I have zero interest in learning jewish history, what with the torah and the holocaust I think I should be well enough versed about them. As for a list of empires with their rulers I don't think I'd like that much. The Persian Empire by J.M. cook focused on the rulers as well, and I nearly puked when I read that book, I have no interest in the lives of single men/women unless it is bound up with their culture and society.

That's why I said I would look through those books to see if they had any good sources on purely Islamic cultural history. It may take me a little bit since most of my books are still in boxes after a recent move. You could find a history forum and ask around. I suggest starting at http://www.historum.com. I've been a member for a few years now, and the people there are quite knowledgeable on just about any kind of history imaginable. They are constantly recommending different books.

How would you incorporate all of this different cultural history into a fantasy? The idea of writing such a story sounds intriguing. My current knowledge of history was also fueled by a yearning to write a novel. The plot started out as a fantasy, but it ended up a historical-fiction. It never materialized, but the research that went into it allowed me to learn so much about history that I've started doing my own scholarly research.
Yeah I suppose I still need some books on the byzantines now that I think about it. I know more about the caliphates than I do about the byzantines and that's just sad. Western history doesn't even talk about countries that had an islamic/eastern presence. Like spain, like romania (which at the time was separate states if I recall correctly.), like the byzantines. I learned about the byzantines once in school. I was in second grade, and it was just a part on the city of byzantium which it calls constantinople whom the ottoman's call Istanbul, but recently I've taken to naming shit the way I see fit.

I'm a call Istanbul the city of Byzantium and I'm gonna call turkey the Ottomans. All for historical value. Just like I call the moon Luna and I call the sun Sol. I suppose by these means I should call France the Franks, Germany Germania, Britain Britannia, Iran Persia, Saudi Arabia just Arabia. I love history.

I'll check out the historum later though, thanks. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What Books/Comics/Magazines Have You Bought Lately? MegaHentai 51 881 11-07-2014 02:45 PM
Last Post: MegaHentai
  Some books for atheists =jesse= 9 150 27-06-2014 11:06 PM
Last Post: bobsyeruncle
  Funny, amusing summer books???? dancefortwo 6 106 25-06-2014 06:40 AM
Last Post: DavidQuinn
Rainbow "The 100 Best Books of All Time" Have you read any? Thoughts? PoolBoyG 24 427 06-06-2014 09:22 PM
Last Post: WindyCityJazz
  my books out lol kunoxian drive 84 2,570 23-05-2014 06:29 PM
Last Post: kunoxian drive
  Books on Catholicism & Islam cascoatle 7 169 22-04-2014 11:58 PM
Last Post: kim
  Ghostexorcist, what are your favorite books? Raptor Jesus 6 259 07-02-2014 05:31 PM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid