Any good ways to improve your English ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2011, 07:46 PM
RE: Any good ways to improve your English ?
Reading obviously as you stated. It's the best way. I disagree with videogames, while they may help, they may also hinder as every game with text I have ever played (which is a lot) has had an abundance of grammatical errors. If you don't know the difference then you might just assume they are correct.

It also helps if you drive yourself to learn dictionary definitions of words. I for one, constantly find the need to look up words that I've even used many times before just to make sure I'm using them correctly. Sometimes I'm not. You'd be surprised how many people who sound like they know what they are saying are totally wrong. The word hypocrite is one you will hear often as an atheist, usually chucked around by people who themselves are the definition of the word.

If you hear a word you don't know look it up, then find reasons to use it in normal conversation. Speaking the language as often as you can is important, and making sure you use it properly as often as possible. Like you said, tons of internet users have the worst command of the English language. It doesn't help if you use it poorly because it becomes habit.

Good luck to you. I wish I could learn a second language, but alas I've tried and failed five separate times. It just isn't my bag.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
21-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Hey Laxion - I hope you have enough advice! Smile One thing - is English your second language? I notice others made that reference, but I'm newer to the forum so maybe they know you. Smile
Oh - yes! Lucradis is soooo right - a good dictionary is indispensable! Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
24-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Having taught ESL, i know that different methods work for different people, but the single most important component is motivation. A student who doesn't do the work will not progress with any method.
Laxion is a young person who tends to be self-indulgent and impatient; to look for short-cuts and easy ways...
There are none.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post