Any guitarists on here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2014, 07:02 AM
Any guitarists on here?
Come in and talk about things that mere mortals do not understand... Like machine-heads, pickups, grub screws and amps.

What's your style? What's your gear? Who are your favorite players?

Post videos or links to any recordings of your playing you might have online...

Me, I used to class myself as purely a lead guitarist, but I'm finding rhythm guitar a lot more enjoyable... Most of my favorite players are technically rhythm players really. Players like Pete Townshend, Keith Richards and Wilko Johnson... Guys who pioneered the "choppy" style of playing, mixing lead lines into rhythmic parts.

Its probably since I started using a Telecaster as my main axe... Something about Tele's makes you play very short and sharp.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
08-03-2014, 07:12 AM
RE: Any guitarists on here?
My weapon of choice is a tele ... but I've dropped some Jeff Beck tele style, Seymour Duncan stacked humbuckers in to it and it's wild. It still sounds like a tele but minus the 60cycle hum and it sustains forever. ... I used to be a pure rock lead player but got bored years ago. My influences are varied:-
Jimmy Page
Richie Blackmore
Steve Stevens
Slash
The Mission
Kate Bush
Trent Reznor
Susan Vega
Duran Duran
Jeff Beck
Roger Waters

Roger is probably my favourite!

I also have an original MKII 78 Marshall! Yeah baby! Smile

Great thread! ... You're a genius! Have some shred! Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
08-03-2014, 07:35 AM
(08-03-2014 07:12 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  My weapon of choice is a tele ... but I've dropped some Jeff Beck tele style, Seymour Duncan stacked humbuckers in to it and it's wild. It still sounds like a tele but minus the 60cycle hum and it sustains forever. ... I used to be a pure rock lead player but got bored years ago. My influences are varied:-
Jimmy Page
Richie Blackmore
Steve Stevens
Slash
The Mission
Kate Bush
Trent Reznor
Susan Vega
Duran Duran
Jeff Beck
Roger Waters

Roger is probably my favourite!

I also have an original MKII 78 Marshall! Yeah baby! Smile

Great thread! ... You're a genius! Have some shred! Smile

I think Ritchie Blackmore was one of the first players that made me want to take it seriously.

I've never really had the desire to mod my guitars for some reason. I like 'em warts and all, with filthy necks and chunks out of the body... That applies to women too. Drooling

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
08-03-2014, 07:48 AM
I recorded this jam a few years ago at a band practice... It was a hell of a good band, sadly it packed in because of work commitments.

https://soundcloud.com/paranoidsam/a-jam-in-c-minor

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
08-03-2014, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 12:44 PM by Mathilda.)
Pink Japanese stratocasters seem to find their way to my protection.

My husband owns two 62 reissue strats (one pink, one white). My first decent guitar was a pink HM strat.

Many years later after giving up playing I decided to start again. I was living in a small rented bedroom and so needed a small amp. I went into a music shop in Cambridge, England looking to buy an Fender Champ amplifier so I could obtain that nice warm valve sound I had been looking for in so many years (I own a Marshall JCM 900 1x12 combo). Anyway I was playing my guitar through a Fender Champ and was rather underwhelmed by the sound. So the store owner suggested I try this really small shitty looking amplifer that I had noticed earlier on in the shop window. I was dubious. It was old, cheap, and a completely unknown brand. I plugged into it and immediately realised that this was what I was looking for. Then the store owner brought out this pink Japanese Fender '62 reissue Strat. It had been sold by a local blues player who was semi-professional (the store owner pointed at a poster on the wall). It had Seymour Duncan Stevie Ray Vaughan hot rails pickups. It had a few dings in it but the sound through the amp was amazing.

The store owner suggested a price for both and I agreed (£400 in 2001). I took it home, opened it up and it was all hand-wired, not a circuit board or anything. It also used a Celestion speaker. I did some research on the amp using google and found the son of the owner of the company who claimed that Vox nicked and modified the design for their AC30. He sent me the circuit diagrams in case I need to mend it in future. The amp is a Rosetti Lucky 7 by Supersound in red.

Several months later I popped into the shop again and the store owner convinced me to try the new Paul Reed Smith range of guitars that were manufactured in some cheaper country (I can't remember where). I found it all rather soulless. The store owner started saying how the original owner of the 62 reissue Japanese Strat regretted selling the guitar and was interesting in getting it back and would I be interested in a trade-in? I left and never returned back to that shop.

I don't play any more but I could never part with my equipment.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
08-03-2014, 02:15 PM
(08-03-2014 12:04 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Pink Japanese stratocasters seem to find their way to my protection.

My husband owns two 62 reissue strats (one pink, one white). My first decent guitar was a pink HM strat.

Many years later after giving up playing I decided to start again. I was living in a small rented bedroom and so needed a small amp. I went into a music shop in Cambridge, England looking to buy an Fender Champ amplifier so I could obtain that nice warm valve sound I had been looking for in so many years (I own a Marshall JCM 900 1x12 combo). Anyway I was playing my guitar through a Fender Champ and was rather underwhelmed by the sound. So the store owner suggested I try this really small shitty looking amplifer that I had noticed earlier on in the shop window. I was dubious. It was old, cheap, and a completely unknown brand. I plugged into it and immediately realised that this was what I was looking for. Then the store owner brought out this pink Japanese Fender '62 reissue Strat. It had been sold by a local blues player who was semi-professional (the store owner pointed at a poster on the wall). It had Seymour Duncan Stevie Ray Vaughan hot rails pickups. It had a few dings in it but the sound through the amp was amazing.

The store owner suggested a price for both and I agreed (£400 in 2001). I took it home, opened it up and it was all hand-wired, not a circuit board or anything. It also used a Celestion speaker. I did some research on the amp using google and found the son of the owner of the company who claimed that Vox nicked and modified the design for their AC30. He sent me the circuit diagrams in case I need to mend it in future. The amp is a Rosetti Lucky 7 by Supersound in red.

Several months later I popped into the shop again and the store owner convinced me to try the new Paul Reed Smith range of guitars that were manufactured in some cheaper country (I can't remember where). I found it all rather soulless. The store owner started saying how the original owner of the 62 reissue Japanese Strat regretted selling the guitar and was interesting in getting it back and would I be interested in a trade-in? I left and never returned back to that shop.

I don't play any more but I could never part with my equipment.

A couple of years ago a bloke in Cheshire bought an original AC30 from an old lady... It needed new valves and the speaker was a bit knackered but otherwise in good condition.

He paid about £1000 for it... A bargain at any rate.

When he opened the back, stamped on the chassis was a metal plate marked "Property of George Harrison"...

He had it authenticated, and it was confirmed as the amplifier Harrison used when The Beatles recorded the Revolver album... Plus he can be seen using it on "All You Need Is Love" T.V. appearance.

He's now sold it to a collector for 20 grand!

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
08-03-2014, 04:25 PM
I only have one guitar left. An all solid wood Seagull Mini-Jumbo with bone pins and saddle. I only play fingerstyle, blues, and chill rhythms. I never touch a pick. Basically I'm an old man at 27.
09-03-2014, 06:14 AM
(08-03-2014 04:25 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I only have one guitar left. An all solid wood Seagull Mini-Jumbo with bone pins and saddle. I only play fingerstyle, blues, and chill rhythms. I never touch a pick. Basically I'm an old man at 27.

That's cool, I do a lot of finger style blues.... But my Ibanez jumbo is a bit clunky to play.

Ever listen to Mississippi John Hurt?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
12-03-2014, 11:31 AM
I'm a bassist. I have two 5-string Ernie Ball Musicmans. One is a stingray and the other a sterling. I can play a little rythm so when the need arises I have a Jap Strat and an Ovation acoustic.
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
13-03-2014, 04:34 PM
I play the blues. All my equipment is pretty shit. You don't need great equipment for a great sound. Wink

Oh, and I haven't been on here since Christmas. Fuck, you guys must have missed me.

[Image: opforum1.png]