Any heathen drummers out there?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Any heathen drummers out there?
I'm a 40-something dude who for my socially required mid-life crisis told my wife it was either a convertible or a drum set.

...so, after a few months of drum lessons, I'm really starting to dig it. Working rudiments is pretty fun, but it really gets rockin' after you start to pick up enough that you can keep up with a few songs (so far I can somewhat keep up with Give Life Back to Music/Daft Punk, Back in Black/ACDC and Dancing Queen/ABBA).

Any other newly minted drummers out there to share tips&tricks? What kinds of sticks do you have/like/use? I have made a conscious effort to try out various kinds... Mostly Vic Firth (7A, X5A, 3A), but also a pair of Vater (5A) and some cheapo First Act 5B (before I knew if I even would like it). So since I'm just starting out I'm very green, but starting to work the slide technique on the bass pedal too, and some limb independence exercises. My drum teacher, on the first lesson, said "Drumming is basically all about this (pats his head with one and and makes a circle on his belly with the other hand)". Thumbsup

I have a set of Alesis DM8 Pro drums - yeah they're not acoustic so while they're "close", they're not really there feel-wise, but they're pretty quiet, so it keeps the wife happy. Even better, my 5 y/o daughter loves banging around on them too!

Blink <--- The face the drummer makes when the guitarist tells him/her to slow down!

Swede, atheist, dad, amateur astronomer, aspiring drummer...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MickO's post
01-02-2014, 09:37 PM
RE: Any heathen drummers out there?
(01-02-2014 09:29 PM)MickO Wrote:  Blink <--- The face the drummer makes when the guitarist tells him/her to slow down!

Dodgy <----- The face the guitarist makes when the drummer won't slow the fuck down! It's easy to bang on shit really fast, it's harder to play notes on an actual instrument a million miles an hour!

Tongue

Welcome to the forum, dude!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
02-02-2014, 10:24 PM
(01-02-2014 09:29 PM)MickO Wrote:  Blink <--- The face the drummer makes when the guitarist tells him/her to slow down!

Good gawd.

Metronome. Now. And play at whatever tempo the leader or guitarist requests, or at whatever tempo the song you are learning is recorded at. EVERY time. There are reasons why musicians want to play certain songs at certain tempos. Respect that and comply, or don't ever inflict yourself on a group of musicians, ever.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
02-02-2014, 10:27 PM
(02-02-2014 10:24 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Metronome. Now. And play at whatever tempo the leader or guitarist requests, or at whatever tempo the song you are learning is recorded at. EVERY time. There are reasons why musicians want to play certain songs at certain tempos. Respect that and comply, or don't ever inflict yourself on a group of musicians, ever.
SOMEBODY got butthurt Big Grin

Swede, atheist, dad, amateur astronomer, aspiring drummer...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes MickO's post
02-02-2014, 10:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 08:31 AM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(02-02-2014 10:27 PM)MickO Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 10:24 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Metronome. Now. And play at whatever tempo the leader or guitarist requests, or at whatever tempo the song you are learning is recorded at. EVERY time. There are reasons why musicians want to play certain songs at certain tempos. Respect that and comply, or don't ever inflict yourself on a group of musicians, ever.
SOMEBODY got butthurt Big Grin

Somebody is trying to save you and any actual musicians you might encounter a great deal of frustration. But feel free to learn the hard way.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
02-02-2014, 10:58 PM
I play metal. Complaining about speed is not allowed. That said, for the love of Odin slow the fuck down! Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
03-02-2014, 08:44 AM
I play music. I don't complain about speed. I call a tempo and that's that. People with tempo problems don't get to work with me.

03-02-2014, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 11:47 AM by evenheathen.)
Well la ti freakin' da! Dodgy

(Okay, you are right.)

~ Umberto Eco
03-02-2014, 11:11 AM
(02-02-2014 10:24 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  

Good gawd.

Metronome. Now. And play at whatever tempo the leader or guitarist requests, or at whatever tempo the song you are learning is recorded at. EVERY time. There are reasons why musicians want to play certain songs at certain tempos. Respect that and comply, or don't ever inflict yourself on a group of musicians, ever.

I couldn't agree more.

Drummers are the clock. They enforce the rhythm of the entire group.
Having a drummer who is all "fill" is infuriating beyond description. That's not to say that they shouldn't have their opportunity to shine but a flashy drummer gagging for attention is just as bad as a lead guitarist leading through an entire tune or a bassist over-riffing.

Like Taq said. Metronome.

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
[+] 1 user Likes Kestrel's post
03-02-2014, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 12:51 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(03-02-2014 11:11 AM)Kestrel Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 10:24 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Good gawd.

I couldn't agree more.

Drummers are the clock. They enforce the rhythm of the entire group.
Having a drummer who is all "fill" is infuriating beyond description. That's not to say that they shouldn't have their opportunity to shine but a flashy drummer gagging for attention is just as bad as a lead guitarist leading through an entire tune or a bassist over-riffing.

Like Taq said. Metronome.

Indeed.

And drummers can shine throughout a tune without being a problem. Look at Carter Beauford's work for example, especially on something like "Ant's Marching":

And to see him at work, here's a live version (I was looking for another live version I particularly like, but couldn't find it):

(LOVE the open style, once upon a time I learned this tune from his instructional video. NICE, nice work. Haven't really kept up on drumming, though, as there is only so much space and money for instruments, and any time spent on one instrument is time taken AWAY from one's primary instrument(s)...).