Any heathen drummers out there?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 01:07 PM
RE: Any heathen drummers out there?
I was just watching a video of LZ's Kashmir, in a slower than usual tempo, JB's drums come through very predominant on this one.

I'm no musician, but thought I'd put this out there. I always considered JB to be the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...QoSJPwC4-k
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2014, 01:51 PM
There is a video interview of JPJ somewhere on YT in which he talks about this sort of "game" he and JB used to play to see how far off the beat one or the other or both could get and still have it work.

I do like JB's work, though my preference is for a style that is less "heavy-handed", I guess, and more "finesse". I like cats who are deft with Hi-Hat work, for example.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
03-02-2014, 02:15 PM
(03-02-2014 01:51 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  There is a video interview of JPJ somewhere on YT in which he talks about this sort of "game" he and JB used to play to see how far off the beat one or the other or both could get and still have it work.

I do like JB's work, though my preference is for a style that is less "heavy-handed", I guess, and more "finesse". I like cats who are deft with Hi-Hat work, for example.

I guess I can understand your point. I'm just an old rocker and remember how I felt Bonzo's drums go through my body, like getting hit by a bus, while Pagey's guitar was making the ears bleed...... ahhh, the good times..no wonder I'm deaf Blush
03-02-2014, 10:06 PM
(03-02-2014 02:15 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 01:51 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  There is a video interview of JPJ somewhere on YT in which he talks about this sort of "game" he and JB used to play to see how far off the beat one or the other or both could get and still have it work.

I guess I can understand your point. I'm just an old rocker and remember how I felt Bonzo's drums go through my body, like getting hit by a bus, while Pagey's guitar was making the ears bleed...... ahhh, the good times..no wonder I'm deaf Blush

I agree, and I like that, too. I "grew up" musically in the Louisiana blues scene (Kenny Wayne Shepherd's territory, though I left there just before he showed up), and the live sound guys mix heavy on the kick and snare, and that's a GREAT sensation to feel that THUMP in your chest. I mix live like that too, because of that. Great for dancers, too.

I am far more impressed with JPJ's than with JP's playing. But I am also quite picky about guitar tone, and with melodic sensibility, which, except for some precious few cases (Stairway being one), JP seemed to lack. And I just could never forgive him for turning in what I consider to be likely the worst guitar solo ever recorded, absolutely ruining Joe Cocker's "Bye Bye Blackbird". Love the piano on it, though.

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
03-02-2014, 10:26 PM
To Mick: Look, I know I was harsh on you, especially you being new here and trying to reach out and all, but if there is one lesson in the world you absolutely need to learn as a new musician -- and especially as a drummer -- is that nothing you can do matters more than just being able to keep time/tempo consistently, every time. NOTHING.

That holds true for any musician on the stage as well, but no one on the stage can hold back a runaway drummer, especially one who refuses to work with a bassist who is trying to slow him down by catching his eye and pulling back on the downbeat (I was going to say "or her", but I have NEVER seen a fem drummer fail to hold tempo).

If you want to learn, play along to recordings to get used to staying on tempo. If the chops are coming at you too fast, use one of the many programs and/or apps now available to slow the music down to a tempo you can work with, and gradually speed up to tempo (Riffstation on WinDoze, Tempo SloMo on iOs, Audiopo on Android -- I have and use them all -- Riffstation also can, in many cases, isolate instruments by selective blocking throughout the panning spectrum, depending on how the song is mixed).

ACCURACY IS ALWAYS MORE IMPORTANT THAN SPEED.

You will not get any better advice than that anywhere. Really.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

25-03-2014, 07:56 AM
Hello all.

I am a professional drummer/percussionist currently in the fourth decade of my career.

My experience is extensive and ranges from heavy touring to live TV and radio work as well as education and lecturing on various aspects of the music industry. I am happy to report my career is in good shape and I have long steady work.

Mick if you have questions from time to time I would be happy to help if I can.

Experimental drug disengaged. Hopefully my brain will return.
25-03-2014, 10:02 AM
(25-03-2014 07:56 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Hello all.

I am a professional drummer/percussionist currently in the fourth decade of my career.

My experience is extensive and ranges from heavy touring to live TV and radio work as well as education and lecturing on various aspects of the music industry. I am happy to report my career is in good shape and I have long steady work.

Mick if you have questions from time to time I would be happy to help if I can.

This Mick guy doesn't seem to be around a lot; why don't you rather help me? http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-requests?

Been playing seriously for about 7 months now.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
25-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Hi Elk.
I read your thread yesterday. Seeing as I just joined I did not post due to having already posted a few times. I did not wish to appear rude.

I do not frequent drum forums so I'd be happy to help in any way I can. My first thought was to avoid drum covers on youtube. I prefer to see people being themselves. Play a beat or solo you enjoy, rather than copying another drummer.
Even better, film some jams with other musicians.

If I can help I will. I work every day usually. This afternoon I am playing into the evening. Same story until the weekend when I am more busy. So weekends I wont be around much but should be able to look in here most weekday mornings.

25-03-2014, 04:33 PM
(25-03-2014 04:20 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Hi Elk.
I read your thread yesterday. Seeing as I just joined I did not post due to having already posted a few times. I did not wish to appear rude.

I do not frequent drum forums so I'd be happy to help in any way I can. My first thought was to avoid drum covers on youtube. I prefer to see people being themselves. Play a beat or solo you enjoy, rather than copying another drummer.
Even better, film some jams with other musicians.

If I can help I will. I work every day usually. This afternoon I am playing into the evening. Same story until the weekend when I am more busy. So weekends I wont be around much but should be able to look in here most weekday mornings.

I divide my drumming into two parts usually. I warm up with a simple song like A Tout le Monde or Angry Again by Megadeth, and then either move on to a solo jam where I try out new beats and fills. Otherwise, I do covers of other bands since I don't know anything about songwriting, and I don't have anyone to play with since I live in the middle of nowhere (but my friend has finally picked up the guitar and started playing, so that might change). But when I cover songs, I don't see it as copying; rather it's a tribute to the drummers I idolize. At the same time, I listen to the songs and put my own flavor on it. My version of A Tout le Monde is a lot different and more complex than Nick Menza's studio version (which is was very simple anyways). This mostly falls for songs that are overall simple and straightforward; songs like Megadeth's Anarchy in the UK cover or Hook in Mouth.

Otherwise, I'm going to a school where I'm going to meet musicians and get a drum tutor around the end of the summer. I think that will help my playing a lot. I'm planning to become a drumtutor myself in the future, so I thought I'd just ask you for some advice.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
25-03-2014, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2014 06:18 PM by Banjo.)
Hello Elk.

Ok I will do what I can.

I gather you do not have access to a drum teacher now? If not I would suggest you contact a mate of mine who does online lessons. His name is Daniel Glass and he is a very fine teacher. You can contact him through his website.

http://www.danielglass.com/

If you are looking toward a career as an educator, there are several aspects that need to be covered. A strong technical foundation, solid reading skills, knowledge of various methods and styles of music etc etc. You may also require a diploma if you wish to enter an institution as a formal instructor.

America (I assume you are American) has several fine drumlines. Many in schools. Perhaps contact DCI and ask if they can recommend someone in your area.

Playling along with recordings is fine in itself, but as a method of learning I feel it lacks something. Mainly it is a distraction from the minor details evident in one's own playing. For example, while listening to the other drummer through headphones it is easy to miss a slight bass drum beater flutter you may execute. Or a minor time issue. Working with a metronome at slow tempos on specific exercises is more useful in the long run.

One can divide practice time into sections. If you plan to work for 90 minutes you could divide it thusly:

40 minutes hand technique.
Begin by setting your metronome at a slow tempo, e.g. 40 bpm. Using the first page of Stick control (page 5) you begin working p. playing taps. Focus on stick height and try to make each stroke even.
Spend 10 minutes working through exercises 1 to 5.

Now adjust height and work half strokes and then full wrist strokes up to sfz at the same tempo using the same exercises.

You may vary the exercises and tempos across individual sessions. For example the next session could be devoted to triplets, combinations of triplets and 16ths etc etc. There is much to choose from within that one book.

The next 30 minutes can be devoted to kit exercises developing coordination. I highly recommend Gary Chester's New Breed. Wonderful book.

Or perhaps spend time working on new rhythmic ideas. Perhaps Latin or jazz studies may help you move to the next level.

All the while using a metronome.

To close out your session you may want to reward yourself with fun by playing along with recordings you enjoy.

The above is just a very small group of ideas. You may also like to mix books, for example you can use Stick control exercises while working through Louis Bellson's reading texts. I recommend both books highly. There are many ways to incorporate stickings with those texts.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask. I have one current issue. I am between computers. Mine recently died. So I am using my phone until I can replace it and watching youtube becomes very expensive.

I hope I have helped in some small way.