Any heathen drummers out there?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2014, 09:07 PM
RE: Any heathen drummers out there?
A drummer isn't always the clock or metronome of a band.

Some drummers play almost orchestrally, moving around the beat rather than laying it down straight.

The drummer I used to play with could do that. It comes from Jazz drumming I think, and is very dynamic... In a Rock setting it sounds incredible.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Hello again.

While I would not argue wih Sam, I would like to point out that mastery of time is an essential element when one hopes to work as a professional drummer. Time or 'pulse' is the key foundation behind our careers. It is possible to play around the time. To do so effectively one must know where it is. A highly advanced drummer, such as Peter Erskine, has usually developed a practise routine devoted to the mastery and control of tempo. Indeed, as an advanced drummer myself whose friends are also advanced professional players, I can state that time and pulse is what we discuss. Technique may come into it, but at a certain level technical ability is expected and is not an issue.

I recall a conversation with Simon Phillips, myself and an old teacher of mine. My teacher advanced the idea that the entire band was responsible for time. Simon reacted strongly and stated the the drumset is the foundation. A building has one foundation and everything else is built upon it. We had to agree of course. Hard to argue with Simon. Mark Schulman tells a story of a metronome being thrown at him during a high level audition. The experience made him a better musician.

Much of my recording work is spent replacing drum tracks. Drummers who cannot play in time are replaced. It happens matter of factly and professionally every day.

I have to go now guys. I have a recording session at 5 pm replacing a drum track. Seriously. :-)

WARNING. Banjo is currently on an experimental drug. The drug causes neurological problems. To put it in perspective, I am on $25,000.00 of drugs per week. Plus others. If I seem crazy, please ignore me. I am. I can be okay then simply lose my mind. Many thanks. Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
27-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Hello again Elk.

Here is a lesson I stumbled across by drummer Hannah Ford. I had not heard of her and was pleasantly surprized with the quality of this lesson. I have been showing it to students. I agree with everything she says. The only difference between us is that I am a rudiment freak. Whereas she has chosen those she enjoys most. One method is not superior to the other. Just different. And her technique is excellent. I hope you enjoy it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ZbQLioafk

WARNING. Banjo is currently on an experimental drug. The drug causes neurological problems. To put it in perspective, I am on $25,000.00 of drugs per week. Plus others. If I seem crazy, please ignore me. I am. I can be okay then simply lose my mind. Many thanks. Banjo.
Find all posts by this user