Any ideas on how to get extremely local news.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2015, 02:59 PM
RE: Any ideas on how to get extremely local news.
(12-11-2015 11:57 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  This is tough because I don't want to give away where I live. But basically, when I left my house and went to work this morning there were Police all over my street (at least 8 vehicles). One officer was walking up and down the street with a 3 foot long rifle of some sort. 8 (my age +- 8) or so people who looked like their hands were tied/cuffed behind their back were sitting on the edge of the sidewalk in front of the cop cars. The street was closed down in one direction (luckily not the direction I needed to go).

There are only 7 or 8 houses on my street this means that one of my neighbors was up to some "bad business". My friend's best guess is a drug bust. It's very interesting because I live in a pretty "nice" neighborhood that is just a mile away from the city borders of a pretty rich and very small community.

I want to know what happened! But I don't know how to find out. Googling doesn't seem to do much. How might you guys go about finding this out?

A lot of places have the local police blotter online. You can read through brief notes about all of the calls that they answered. Where I am it usually takes a day or two for the basic info to appear and then a week or so for more details to be added. Try searching for the police blotter or the sheriff's blotter or something along those lines.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Talk to a neighbor? Or call the police, explain you live on the street and are worried, and ask what happened.

If you have a really local local paper, one of those free weekly ones, it might have a police report section (ours does).
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
12-11-2015, 04:55 PM
(12-11-2015 11:57 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  This is tough because I don't want to give away where I live. But basically, when I left my house and went to work this morning there were Police all over my street (at least 8 vehicles). One officer was walking up and down the street with a 3 foot long rifle of some sort. 8 (my age +- 8) or so people who looked like their hands were tied/cuffed behind their back were sitting on the edge of the sidewalk in front of the cop cars. The street was closed down in one direction (luckily not the direction I needed to go).

There are only 7 or 8 houses on my street this means that one of my neighbors was up to some "bad business". My friend's best guess is a drug bust. It's very interesting because I live in a pretty "nice" neighborhood that is just a mile away from the city borders of a pretty rich and very small community.

I want to know what happened! But I don't know how to find out. Googling doesn't seem to do much. How might you guys go about finding this out?

Keep getting the News Paper for the next week. It will be in there, under arrest records or a story will be done on it...or just ask the police. Tell them you live there.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
12-11-2015, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all the input people, I'll let you know what I find.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
12-11-2015, 07:13 PM
(12-11-2015 03:05 PM)julep Wrote:  Or call the police, explain you live on the street and are worried, and ask what happened.

Yup. Call the cops. " 'sup up with that popo? Do I need to fear for my safety?" Not sure they are legally obliged to but my local police would tell me what the fuck is going on.

#sigh
12-11-2015, 10:17 PM
I live in a small city, population ~100k, and there is a "police party" at every vehicle that gets pulled over. It happens so seldom that other cops just show up to visit, methinks. Not that I am complaining- we live in one of the cities of our size that are up at the top for "Safest places to live"- top five kind of stuff.
12-11-2015, 10:50 PM

Google "breaking news" + your ZIP code.