Any law in the U.S. that said the it is the Police's DUTY to protect individuals?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2013, 09:54 AM
RE: Any law in the U.S. that said the it is the Police's DUTY to protect individuals?
(04-04-2013 09:44 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  HU,

I think the separation exists to make the job possible. If the job of the police was simply to protect people, it would be an impossible job. It would leave far too much responsibility in the hands of officers who would inevitably fail if they were charged with simply "protecting people". Know what I mean?

Having the police enforce the law gives them cut and dry (well, as cut and dry as it can be anyways) rules to follow and duties to uphold.

Momwithboys,

I totally hear ya. I'm more commenting on what the intent of the law and law enforcement is, and not so much how it's actually practiced.

Thank you for you explanation and I understand it totally.

I think I was still a little naive, lingering in the age when I used to call the policemen 'Uncles'. How splendidly I wished that they could fight against all crimes !

You're right. They are just ordinary human beings with a job and a family to feed. A very dangerous job sometimes. I sincerely wish many of them could still remember why they chose to join the police force.

Thank you all you guys. No more questions.

Want something? Then do something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2013, 10:07 AM
RE: Any law in the U.S. that said the it is the Police's DUTY to protect individuals?
(04-04-2013 09:50 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Just as an aside.....many officers take it upon themselves to protect the public directly by bypassing the separation I mentioned earlier. These officers, though they may be well intentioned, do a disservice to both themselves and the public. Themselves because they are taking on an impossible task and so dooming themselves to failure. The public because protecting the public involves making judgement calls that should not be made. In fact, I think it's fair to say that when an officer decides to make a judgement call, s/he is taking the power of the law out of the publics hands where it belongs.

By the way, I was just told that China does have a law called 'the People's Police's Law' which states in the 2nd and 21st items that when individuals' personal safety, personal freedom and private properties are being aggrieved, it is the people's police' duty to protect these individuals.

It seems that I can stay naive for a little longer. And therefore more gratefulness for the Chinese policemen since they have a harder job.

[+] 2 users Like HU.Junyuan's post
04-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Wow, I didn't know that about the police in china. That's gotta be tons of pressure!

In your opinion, would you say the police uphold their duty for the most part where you are? The inevitable exceptions aside of course. (we are, after all, just human)

Really interesting discussion BTW. Thanks for bringing it up HU.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
04-04-2013, 11:51 AM
(04-04-2013 11:35 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Wow, I didn't know that about the police in china. That's gotta be tons of pressure!

In your opinion, would you say the police uphold their duty for the most part where you are? The inevitable exceptions aside of course. (we are, after all, just human)

Really interesting discussion BTW. Thanks for bringing it up HU.

I can walk in the streets playing my smartphone in late nights. Occasionally I left my apartment with the door unlocked, but nothing bad happened so far.

My pocket was picked once. I wasn't paying attention. Can't blame the police.

In my city, if a wife is under domestic violence, she can call the police for help. The court can end the marriage in her favor. The same for the whole nation, I think.

Interesting discussion for me too. And thank you also for you articulate expression.

[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post