Any marathon runners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2016, 04:15 PM
RE: Any marathon runners?
(28-12-2016 11:54 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-12-2016 09:08 PM)bemore Wrote:  And anything else really Bowing

Don't do it. It's not good for you. If you must do it, walk casually carrying a shillelagh while whistling.

Shillelaghs are out per IAAF rule 14.1 section 3.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
29-12-2016, 02:37 AM
(28-12-2016 03:46 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(28-12-2016 02:40 AM)Stevil Wrote:  I don't see how gym helps, best to get roadwork done.

I've chosen to join the gym to do running, plus I will also do strength training once a week to build core and joint strength. The gym will also be more convenient and time effective for me. I will get plenty of roadwork done though.

Whatever works, is an improvement on doing nothing.
When I first signed up for a half I also joined a gym, but quickly realised that I can't really do an hour on the treadmill and doing treadmill or cycle machine is not the same as doing roadwork. I think swimming or weights might be usefull as cross training or something, but then again I find my road work to be time consuming enough.

(28-12-2016 03:46 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(28-12-2016 02:40 AM)Stevil Wrote:  I think just a well balanced diet is fine.

Did you not focus on carbohydrate and protein? Did you do any loading before the race? What did you use during your races?
When I'm in training I consume less chocolate and less fizzy drinks and ice cream, I get focussed on betting my previous times and I see these things as taking me further away from my goals.
But otherwise I eat a balanced diet. Don't worry too much about carbohydrate intake or protein intake.

I have tried some carbo drinks for after runs but I think it is a waste of money. I even think electorlite drinks e.g. powerade is a bit of a have.
There is a big industry in this, its all for money, lots of mis-information.
What I have read is that more people get into trouble from drinking too much fluids than what gets into trouble from not drinking enough. If you drink too much then you dilute your blood. Your body can easily handle losing 1 litre (1KG) of water during a race.

(28-12-2016 03:46 AM)bemore Wrote:  Wow, that is a really good time. I'd be very happy with that time, although for my first time my goal is to just finish.
Well, anyone can finish, you don't get disqualified for walking.

I think, depending on your size and ability, to start off with, a goal of 2hrs is fine. But obviously it differs from person to person. It's all about yourself, don't worry too much about what others are doing.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
29-12-2016, 10:02 AM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2016 10:06 AM by GirlyMan.)
(29-12-2016 02:37 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(28-12-2016 03:46 AM)bemore Wrote:  Wow, that is a really good time. I'd be very happy with that time, although for my first time my goal is to just finish.
Well, anyone can finish, you don't get disqualified for walking.

Sumo wrestler Kelly Gneiting at 430 lbs. became the heaviest marathon finisher with a time of 11 hours, 52 minutes, and 11 seconds. He described the race as "pure hell" and lost time because he had to wait at traffic lights because the roads had already reopened.

[Image: kelly1_zpsydaicfrw.jpg][Image: kelly2_zpstv1rctpq.jpg]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-12-2016, 08:04 PM
(27-12-2016 09:08 PM)bemore Wrote:  So, ive decided that I would like to complete a half marathon (13.1 miles/21 km) on the 6th June 2017.
https://www.amazon.com/Target-practical-...=target+26

Sapere aude