Any nihilists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Any nihilists?
I have been lurking in this forum section for quite a while, but I have never really seen a topic dedicated to the unmentioned philosophy: nihilism.

Nihilism, in its most common form (existential nihilism) argues that life is without objective meaning or value. Nihilism also argues that morality does not exist as something inherent to objective reality. Nihilists say that there is no objective truth, only perspective truth. If there was an absolute truth, we could not learn it. If we could learn it, we could not share it. If we could share it, nobody would understand.

Nihilism slowly began to emerge in the 19th century when Nietzsche famously proclaimed the death of God.

Quote:God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Yet his shadow still looms. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?

More info on nihilism

What are your thoughts? Any nihilists among us?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2013, 02:24 PM
RE: Any nihilists?
Is there any difference between agnostic atheism and nihilism? I share the nihilistic views but I always say that I'm an agnostic atheist.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chaos's post
27-03-2013, 02:26 PM
That was not what I thought of as nihilism, what you described sounds like something I would pretty well agree with.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
27-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Nihilism is a really broad term, I generally avoid using it, but what you said is pretty representative of my views. I wouldn't consider all perspective truths to be of equal merit, nor do I completely disregard what we consider "morality" since I see it as a complex offshoot of human emotions and biologically ingrained proclivities. There is nothing intrinsic about it in a universal sense though, it is entirely a human affair. We project and define the universe through our own perspective, the universe does not return the favor.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
27-03-2013, 02:34 PM
I guess I would have an issue saying that morality doesn't exist in objective reality. Morality is something that I think of in evolutionary terms among organisms. So, it would still exist without humans.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
27-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Actually, scratch that. Morality is subjective in nature. Disregard my momentary lapse.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
27-03-2013, 02:45 PM
(27-03-2013 02:36 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Actually, scratch that. Morality is subjective in nature. Disregard my momentary lapse.

Ain't got your experience, but I'd guess the mechanics for morality are evolutionary in nature, and in that sense, "objective."

As to the OP, as stated. Self-evident. To expand on nihilism, though; ain't my philosophy. Gwynnite contains the doctrine that the universal moral law is the conservation of entropy.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-03-2013, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2013 03:33 PM by Chaos.)
I believe in pretty much nothing. I can't see ourselves more than a dot in this Universe. And a dot is still huge anyway.
When I'm telling this to other people, they say I'm a negativist lol.

27-03-2013, 02:49 PM
(27-03-2013 02:45 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(27-03-2013 02:36 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Actually, scratch that. Morality is subjective in nature. Disregard my momentary lapse.

Ain't got your experience, but I'd guess the mechanics for morality are evolutionary in nature, and in that sense, "objective."

As to the OP, as stated. Self-evident. To expand on nihilism, though; ain't my philosophy. Gwynnite contains the doctrine that the universal moral law is the conservation of entropy.

It would be objective in the sense that it is a product of evolution, but dare I say that every group (not necessarily at the species level) has evolved its own set of morals. Maybe at a higher order like Family, but perhaps more commonly at a community level (or even a single family unit). As such, morality would be highly subjective. I guess it all depends on what level you are talking about.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
27-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Lol... I googled "negativism" and got this:

Quote:Negativism may refer to:

Pessimism
A trait of catatonic stupor

Does it sound like extreme nihilism? Hobo