Any nihilists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2013, 03:03 PM
RE: Any nihilists?
(27-03-2013 02:48 PM)Chaos Wrote:  I don't believe in pretty much nothing. I can't see ourselves more than a dot in this Universe. And a dot is still huge anyway.
When I'm telling this to other people, they say I'm a negativist lol.

People need their boxes. Undecided

(27-03-2013 02:49 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(27-03-2013 02:45 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Ain't got your experience, but I'd guess the mechanics for morality are evolutionary in nature, and in that sense, "objective."

As to the OP, as stated. Self-evident. To expand on nihilism, though; ain't my philosophy. Gwynnite contains the doctrine that the universal moral law is the conservation of entropy.

It would be objective in the sense that it is a product of evolution, but dare I say that every group (not necessarily at the species level) has evolved its own set of morals. Maybe at a higher order like Family, but perhaps more commonly at a community level (or even a single family unit). As such, morality would be highly subjective. I guess it all depends on what level you are talking about.

I call "the highest moral," "I love," but of course I'm full of it. Big Grin

Love, that is. Dang Gwynnies. Heart

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Nihilism: the belief that the only truth that exists is that there is no truth. Oy... Bangin
Find all posts by this user
27-03-2013, 04:43 PM
There is at least one objective truth which I know fore sure. I exist. I absolutely do. Any other truths which may exist I cannot know. If I were to choose labels for myself I might say I'm a nihilist, skeptic, empiricist, or pragmatist.

I am particularly fond of Hume's skepticism/empiricism and American pragmatism. Whatever.

27-03-2013, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't refer to myself as a nihilist, but I certainly hold nihilistic views. One day, our species will die out; the Sun will wither; and the Universe will succumb to heat death; becoming a barren wasteland in which nothing lives or can live. On that day, of what worth will our actions be? Will it matter that I saved an injured cat from the roadside? Will it matter that I was hurt to the point of ending my life by my ex's betrayal? Will it matter that I've felt the joy of looking into a woman's eyes as she whispers "I love you" in my ear? Of course not. That's because none of these things hold objective, lasting value. They're just things that we find significance in now, for no other reason than because we're here to experience them. Without us, there is nothing that actually "matters".

To my understanding, that is the entire point of nihilism. Or at least a part of it. But it's not something I dwell upon often enough or deeply enough to consider going through the effort of labeling myself a nihilist.

Then again, perhaps it's the same logic as with Atheism. "If you don't believe in god; you're an atheist. Whether you call yourself that or not." Maybe my views make me a nihilist; whether I call myself that or not. If that's the case...well, awesome. Shy Still doesn't mean much to me.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
27-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Well, nihilism and atheism are just "boats to cross the river," as the Buddha might say. The only thing that makes atheism Atheism is a bunch of dumb-assed theists needing to be sorted.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-03-2013, 06:02 PM
(27-03-2013 01:51 PM)Woeler Wrote:  Any nihilists among us?

Yup. Howdy howdy ho. [Image: Tip-Hat.gif]

(27-03-2013 04:43 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  There is at least one objective truth which I know fore sure. I exist. I absolutely do.

Good luck trying to prove it. Many have tried, all have failed. ... Girly ain't at all convinced. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-03-2013, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2013 06:17 PM by PoolBoyG.)
(27-03-2013 05:32 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  That's because none of these things hold objective, lasting value.

You mentioned suffering and how it has no "objective" value. Would you say we can rape and violate and murder because there's no "value" in it? Who cares what happened in 10, or 100, or million years from now, right?

Can we take a wrench and bash each of a turtles stubby cute little legs? The person doing it might not care, but the turtle will. But who cares about the "value" of the turtles suffering. It'll only be momentary and not "lasting" anyway.

If the suffering lasted for "eternity", would that count as "lasting value", and so only then would be of any worth?

If the the Universe was devoid of all life but for one rat, a rat whose body was being crushed by a rock- the entire universe, all it's contents have only secondary worth in relation to that rats suffering. It should all be given up to prevent that rats suffering.

Sentience is valuable, their capacity to suffer is the only measure of "value" we have in the Universe. The value of something is determined by it's capacity to cause suffering or alleviate it.
27-03-2013, 06:17 PM
(27-03-2013 04:43 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  There is at least one objective truth which I know fore sure. I exist. I absolutely do. Any other truths which may exist I cannot know. If I were to choose labels for myself I might say I'm a nihilist, skeptic, empiricist, or pragmatist.

I am particularly fond of Hume's skepticism/empiricism and American pragmatism. Whatever.

I hold to that truth as well.

However, the one true statement that has never failed from my observations has been this one:

"Everything is subject to criticism."

[Image: giphy.gif]
27-03-2013, 06:18 PM
You may be wrong about the nature of your existence, but you can be certain of your existence right now, because the only way in which you could think about that is if you exist.

You can never be sure of anyone else's existence, but you can be sure of your own.

That is the one thing a metaphysical nihilist should at least believe.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
27-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Ah, but you guys are forgetting the proposed possibility of reality being but an illusion. I don't really care about trying to dissect that though; if reality is an illusion, it is a cruelly persistent one.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post