Any nihilists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2013, 06:24 PM
RE: Any nihilists?
(27-03-2013 06:18 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  You can never be sure of anyone else's existence, but you can be sure of your own.

That is the one thing a metaphysical nihilist should at least believe.

Isn't that solipsism?

"A similar position can be found in solipsism; however, in this viewpoint the solipsist affirms whereas the nihilist would deny the self."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2013, 06:35 PM
(27-03-2013 06:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-03-2013 04:43 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  There is at least one objective truth which I know fore sure. I exist. I absolutely do.

Good luck trying to prove it. Many have tried, all have failed. ... Girly ain't at all convinced. Tongue

Well, I can prove it....just not to other folks, who may or may not exist. I can logically conclude that since I have the capacity for my existence that I do indeed exist. I may or may not have a body. I may or may not be dreaming. I might even be a clown made out of pork chops, glitter, saw dust and ice-cream cake, but I do exist. You can't take my word for it, so that's where the conversation ends I think.

Surely though, Girly, you don't think that you might not exist do you? How on could anyone draw that conclusion?

27-03-2013, 06:58 PM
(27-03-2013 06:14 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  
(27-03-2013 05:32 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  That's because none of these things hold objective, lasting value.

You mentioned suffering and how it has no "objective" value. Would you say we can rape and violate and murder because there's no "value" in it? Who cares what happened in 10, or 100, or million years from now, right?

Can we take a wrench and bash each of a turtles stubby cute little legs? The person doing it might not care, but the turtle will. But who cares about the "value" of the turtles suffering. It'll only be momentary and not "lasting" anyway.

If the suffering lasted for "eternity", would that count as "lasting value", and so only then would be of any worth?

If the the Universe was devoid of all life but for one rat, a rat whose body was being crushed by a rock- the entire universe, all it's contents have only secondary worth in relation to that rats suffering. It should all be given up to prevent that rats suffering.

Sentience is valuable, their capacity to suffer is the only measure of "value" we have in the Universe. The value of something is determined by it's capacity to cause suffering or alleviate it.

We could do all of those things, yes. And in a billion years, when we're all gone, it wouldn't matter.

But that's just it. "When we're gone", it wont matter. That implies that right now, to us, it does. There is only value because we are evolved enough to decide that it exists. If we all vanished from this Earth; the Sun would still shine and the breeze would still blow through the trees. But none of those things would be valuable, because there'd be nobody to decide - through the firing of neurons in the brain - that "value" exists. Value is seperate from an objective reality. (Wind blowing through the trees, vs. the mental concept that it is "pretty")

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
27-03-2013, 07:05 PM
poolboy seems a little emotional for this topic. For me, a universe that somehow becomes lifeless will just get up to the business of spinning up more life.

And I disagree with the Buddha there - he encourages that kind of behavior Thumbsup - life ain't suffering. Life is kinda, you know, living. Tongue

But I don't feel that much more special than a lump of coal. Which is good, since I'm, well, a lump of coal. Only, wet. And squirmy... Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-03-2013, 08:26 PM
(27-03-2013 06:17 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(27-03-2013 04:43 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  There is at least one objective truth which I know fore sure. I exist. I absolutely do. Any other truths which may exist I cannot know. If I were to choose labels for myself I might say I'm a nihilist, skeptic, empiricist, or pragmatist.

I am particularly fond of Hume's skepticism/empiricism and American pragmatism. Whatever.

I hold to that truth as well.

However, the one true statement that has never failed from my observations has been this one:

"Everything is subject to criticism."

Ole' Tarty Sauce,

Hume would say, just because that has always been the case in the past does not prove it will continue to be true forever and for everything. One day I might jump up in the air and just float off into outer space. For example one day they everything might die, and then there will no nothing and no one to criticize anything. Another possibility is one day everything might just stop existing. Not a truth. I'm not trying to be asinine, and I would say from the point of view of a pragmatist that it is so unlikely that I will float off that it ain't worth bothering with at the moment, but what you described isn't an objective truth IMHO.

HoC,

True dat homie.

27-03-2013, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2013 09:00 PM by Elesjei.)
(27-03-2013 06:24 PM)Chaos Wrote:  Isn't that solipsism?

"A similar position can be found in solipsism; however, in this viewpoint the solipsist affirms whereas the nihilist would deny the self."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism

I don't know. I'm not much of a philosopher, and it seems philosophers always hijack terms to mean things other than what I mean by them.

I suppose the issue depends on how you define "existence" in relation to one's self. I define consciousness as "experience" (which I mean as anything your mind is aware of; thoughts and feelings). You think, therefor you exist. It makes no sense to deny knowledge of your own existence, when thinking is by definition existence.

So even the most extreme nihilist must agree that he exists as long as he experiences. Anything less is an error in reason.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
27-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Re: Any nihilists?
Yes I am a nihilist.
27-03-2013, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2013 10:19 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(27-03-2013 08:26 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Not a truth. I'm not trying to be asinine, and I would say from the point of view of a pragmatist that it is so unlikely that I will float off that it ain't worth bothering with at the moment, but what you described isn't an objective truth IMHO.

I didn't actually mean to suggest that it was an objective truth nor an eternal one in the literal sense, just an observation more than anything. I was thinking about it from the perspective of a nihilist I suppose... finding more perspective truth in the statement "everything is subject to criticism" than "I exist." *shrugs

[Image: giphy.gif]
27-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Re: Any nihilists?
The only bits if outward expressing topics of nihilism on here were from a troll. Idk if he believed it because he sure spent plenty of time being full and avoiding any topic of discussion outside morality.

In what you described, is just label as existentialism, which I often agree with.

I guess it's right to call that existentialism-nihilism. I just see the divisions then fill out to existentialism, nihilism, and absurdism. Similar yet a tiny different.
27-03-2013, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 12:34 AM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
[+] 4 users Like Doctor X's post