Any other PK's here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2017, 04:36 PM
RE: Any other PK's here?
Always a great Aussie favourite from my childhood...

[Image: 1557f4e722a3452c6fd0c5a6bc1eeb8b.jpg]

—A penny a packet in the '50s.

Rolleyes

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
10-04-2017, 04:40 PM
(10-04-2017 04:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 04:07 PM)Grauwyler Wrote:  So awful, but other PK's know the acronym instantly; it's like a brotherhood of dysfunction or something.

I kinda like the psychokinetic angle though ...psycho kinetic ...kinetic psycho; something to that effect anyway.

I think Evenheathen might be one?

Can't recall for sure though.

I pre-know exactly two people here, and then only slightly.

I was talking to my oldest brother a bit ago, and he's quite interested in how this thread goes as well. I once met another PK on another group that had a similar family history (constant moving through exclusively small towns), who had similar "issues" as my own family.

Most of the feedback from other preacher's kids I've spoken to are people who have remained in the faith; I'm always interested to hear from other people who got out.
[+] 1 user Likes Grauwyler's post
10-04-2017, 04:41 PM
If it's "Psycho Killers" I can post a link...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
10-04-2017, 04:42 PM
Me too!

I agree that it's a recipe for family dysfunction.

My father started out as a part-time preacher in a couple of Baptist churches, couldn't get hired full-time, started his own denomination that met in our house, that failed, and then he went into prison ministry full-time for a decade, until he got defrocked because of his divorce.

Did your father embarrass you on Sunday mornings? Mine peppered his sermons with cautionary anecdotes based on my bad behavior...always loads of fun for the whole fucking congregation to hear that you went in your mom's jewelry box without permission and then lied about it...an object lesson in original sin by age 5, that was me.

What I hated was people meeting me, hearing I was a preacher's kid, and then mocking me preemptively for being a goody-goody. I broke a lot of rules in attempts to prove that I wasn't so good, but for some reason I never got caught and my reputation remained intact. (Attempts occurred outside of church. Church paid the bills, so we were always "good" there.)
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
10-04-2017, 04:44 PM
holy shit ...PK is also an acronym for a Turkish post office box.

Nigerian Crown Prince's please call this thread to bestow your millions.
[+] 1 user Likes Grauwyler's post
10-04-2017, 04:59 PM
(10-04-2017 04:42 PM)julep Wrote:  Me too!

My father started out as a part-time preacher in a couple of Baptist churches, couldn't get hired full-time, started his own denomination that met in our house, that failed, and then he went into prison ministry full-time for a decade, until he got defrocked because of his divorce.

Did your father embarrass you on Sunday mornings? Mine peppered his sermons with cautionary anecdotes based on my bad behavior...always loads of fun for the whole fucking congregation to hear that you went in your mom's jewelry box without permission and then lied about it...an object lesson in original sin by age 5, that was me.

What I hated was people meeting me, hearing I was a preacher's kid, and then mocking me preemptively for being a goody-goody. I broke a lot of rules in attempts to prove that I wasn't so good, but for some reason I never got caught and my reputation remained intact. (Attempts occurred outside of church. Church paid the bills, so we were always "good" there.)

This is EXACTLY the type of feedback I was looking for!!!!

Hi Julep!

Granted, it was before I was born and/or remember, but my Dad started as a "living room" sort of congregation. Dad got kicked out of at least one church that I know of because of affairs with congregants. Undecided

My sister did a few sermons (as I think of it now, that was INCREDIBLY progressive for the 80's) and she singled me out in her "sermons" more than once. My father never did it until I was out of the house though; the last time I heard him do it was the last time I EVER attended a church he presided over (which sadly, was in my mid-30's). I always thought I was offering some kind of respect by attending church after I was out of the house, even after I gave up religion. Once I figured out that respect was a one-way street, I quit attempting.

Oddly enough, I think my Dad respected that ...especially after my telling him how fucked up it was that he did it in the first place. He already lost one son over his views on homosexuality, and now he was trying to lose another just in order to score cheap points with his congregation?!?
[+] 2 users Like Grauwyler's post
10-04-2017, 05:33 PM
(10-04-2017 04:59 PM)Grauwyler Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 04:42 PM)julep Wrote:  Me too!

This is EXACTLY the type of feedback I was looking for!!!!
I've reported that post and Julep will be suspended for staying on topic. Can't have that, now can we.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Gawdzilla's post
10-04-2017, 05:35 PM
Heyo. Yeah, another PK here. I don't have much misery to speak of though. My parents weren't that bad, yeah they were pretty strict, and dad liked to embarrass me in his sermons, but never too much.

All in all good people, guess I was lucky.

Good to meet you Grauwyler, welcome to our little slice of the internet. Cool

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
10-04-2017, 05:35 PM
(10-04-2017 05:33 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 04:59 PM)Grauwyler Wrote:  This is EXACTLY the type of feedback I was looking for!!!!
I've reported that post and Julep will be suspended for staying on topic. Can't have that, now can we.

...knew there was a reason I came to this forum!
10-04-2017, 05:38 PM
(10-04-2017 05:33 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 04:59 PM)Grauwyler Wrote:  This is EXACTLY the type of feedback I was looking for!!!!

She should also be praised. That is not an easy feat.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze